millennials are ruining negotiating

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
we should have a "baby boomers are ruining selling things" thread

"i can only get there by blah blah, will that work or should we shoot for later?"

"ok"

:rofl:

dKF2lcu.png

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Just saw a trailer in Craigslist I'm halfway interested in. Says call or text. I text.

Are you a dealer?

It's a yes or no question. Quite simple.

He calls me instantly...

"what do you want to know"

If you're a dealer or not?

"yeah but what's your question?"

If
You
Are
A
Dealer

"what's that matter?"

It matters like $250. If you're private party I pay less tax

"okay well I'll sell it to you and not collect tax"

Ya man when I go to register it I'll have to pay tax though, but more importantly currently, I guess this means you are in fact a dealer.

:fu:

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Just saw a trailer in Craigslist I'm halfway interested in. Says call or text. I text.

Are you a dealer?

It's a yes or no question. Quite simple.

He calls me instantly...

"what do you want to know"

If you're a dealer or not?

"yeah but what's your question?"

If
You
Are
A
Dealer

"what's that matter?"

It matters like $250. If you're private party I pay less tax

"okay well I'll sell it to you and not collect tax"

Ya man when I go to register it I'll have to pay tax though, but more importantly currently, I guess this means you are in fact a dealer.

:fu:

Ah, shady sellers.

Another example, those selling classic cars that are clones but try to pawn off as real thing.

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
That's doable?
yeah. or i thought. isnt wisco a not title state for trailers?
so a bill of sale from wisco gives you a title in IL.

Yeah I don't think that is actually the case. When I was looking for a base for a travel trailer everything I found said that to register a trailer in IL without a title was a PITA.

Basically you have to put up a $1500(ish) bond that is held for 5 years. The state hold onto this money in case someone claims the trailer is theirs within that 5 year timeframe. Once that 5 years is up you get issued a title you get your bond back.

So basically the original owner that has the paperwork with VIN can come claim it is theirs if they aren't the one you got a Bill of Sale from.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Kaeghl

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 18, 2008
Aurora, IL
ok so the trailer thing WAS just bill of sale for a long while, Mr K, horse world guy here, The states changed trailer to titles since so many were being stolen and resold.
You guys think of trailers as something to haul car on when in the horse world something carrying a "trailer" tag can easily run into 80k (three horse slant load with living quarters, imagine a gooseneck pull high end vacation trailer but the back bedroom past the bathroom opens onto a place for horse and a big ramp)

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i don't think i posted the story here but some dude IRL'd me this over some wheels and after he already drove out to meet me.

"what's the least you're willing to take?"
"oh well i dunno, what's the most you're willing to give?"
"well that's the problem, i'm trying to give you the least while you're trying to take the most"
"oh wow, guess we're at quite a standstill..."

i gave him $100 off my asking which was my intended/expected price anyway

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
If I wasn’t on my phone I could probably go on a rant about this that would make a sickmint79 sickmint79 political thread reply look like a clickbait title.

As much as I can bitch about this (and believe me I do), it tends to work in my favor. A lot of the stuff I buy I buy from older people, and when I come at them with questions and actually look at/negotiate in person it’s like a breath of fresh air for them.

If they don’t like my offer, I can usually safely bring up “how many people have messaged you asking for your “best price” or “what’s the low” and haven’t even bothered to show up? Want to keep dealing with that, cool.”

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I also put in my ads first come first served, no holds.

I also give the high school address, which is about a block from my house. I’ve had people message me after 48+ hours of radio silence “hey I’m here” with absolutely zero heads up or even setting up a time, and then get all sorts of pissed off when I’m not around to sell the item or I already sold it to one of the other 37 people that asked me if it was still available.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I also put in my ads first come first served, no holds.

I also give the high school address, which is about a block from my house. I’ve had people message me after 48+ hours of radio silence “hey I’m here” with absolutely zero heads up or even setting up a time, and then get all sorts of pissed off when I’m not around to sell the item or I already sold it to one of the other 37 people that asked me if it was still available.
I like that you use an alternative address. That’s a slick idea. Gonna have to remember to do that if I sell something. ??

Reactions: Outlaw

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I’ll revisit this thread tomorrow on my computer.

At any given time I have no less than 10 marketplace ads. I buy and sell equipment and trucks for a living but with our current situation I’ve been doing just about anything and everything that I can turn a profit on.

The alternative address works great because for anything small, I simply meet them there. I know where the cameras on the building are and drive over to that spot and have them walk/drive to me if they get there before me. Anything larger I will meet them at my house, or will have them follow me if it’s a vehicle and I need to do title work. I keep everything small in my enclosed trailer under lock and key, and I have my CCW on me at all times.

I’ve been in some hairy situations as a buyer and as a seller, so I don’t play around, worst of which being in the back seat of an Infiniti I was selling on a test drive with two people doing over 100 mph down Rt 12, telling them to slow down with my hand on my gun in my coat pocket. Same people tried to short me money and I threw the cash back at them and made them follow me to a bank, give the money directly to a teller to count and deposit it immediately, once they did that I made them sign the title and bill of sale (under the teller window camera) when they didn’t want to do so. Just to add insult to injury I made them pull their drivers licenses and give them to the teller to make a photocopy.

I’ve been followed after not buying something under the assumption that I had the money to purchase on me... I’ve been threatened that if I don’t take their offer they’re going to “get it one way or another”...

I may only be 28, but I have a lifetime of experience doing this shit with every high class, normal, respectful person and every piece of shit, low life motherfucker there is on this planet. Don‘t fuck with me and we’ll get along great.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I’ll revisit this thread tomorrow on my computer.

At any given time I have no less than 10 marketplace ads. I buy and sell equipment and trucks for a living but with our current situation I’ve been doing just about anything and everything that I can turn a profit on.

The alternative address works great because for anything small, I simply meet them there. I know where the cameras on the building are and drive over to that spot and have them walk/drive to me if they get there before me. Anything larger I will meet them at my house, or will have them follow me if it’s a vehicle and I need to do title work. I keep everything small in my enclosed trailer under lock and key, and I have my CCW on me at all times.

I’ve been in some hairy situations as a buyer and as a seller, so I don’t play around, worst of which being in the back seat of an Infiniti I was selling on a test drive with two people doing over 100 mph down Rt 12, telling them to slow down with my hand on my gun in my coat pocket. Same people tried to short me money and I threw the cash back at them and made them follow me to a bank, give the money directly to a teller to count and deposit it immediately, once they did that I made them sign the title and bill of sale (under the teller window camera) when they didn’t want to do so. Just to add insult to injury I made them pull their drivers licenses and give them to the teller to make a photocopy.

I’ve been followed after not buying something under the assumption that I had the money to purchase on me... I’ve been threatened that if I don’t take their offer they’re going to “get it one way or another”...

I may only be 28, but I have a lifetime of experience doing this shit with every high class, normal, respectful person and every piece of shit, low life motherfucker there is on this planet. Don‘t fuck with me and we’ll get along great.
Definitely some street smarts I’ll have to make note of.

Reactions: DEEZUZ

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
You live and learn. I’m not the sharpest knife in the toaster but I’m observant. I can safely say I have probably been involved in 500-600 person to person private sales of just about everything under the sun on the good side of legal. If you don’t learn a thing or two in that timeframe pick a new line of work.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info