🔧 BUILD Mike K's Lamborghini Super Build

General Information

Backstory: https://www.thechicagogarage.com/threads/and-now-for-my-next-trick.181945/#post-4594277

The Car: 2020 Lamborghini Urus

At this point, I'm not sure if I'm buying it, fixing it or neither. But it's here and until I have to spend money, I'm going to proceed like I'm fixing it.

Here's how she looked when I picked her up:

tempImageBp82rp.png

tempImageh5MqEO.png

tempImageou2ffv.png

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Moving on, took a chance on this headlight. Good headlights are about $4500 - $5000. If you’re patient you can find them for around $3500.

I found this one for $600 and offered $400. It didn’t say whether or not it worked, just that it had cracked lens and housing. I took a look at the pictures and from what I could tell, the lens was the only thing that was cracked. The lens wraps around the entire front half of the light though. So it appears to be part of the housing. I took a risk and this is what showed up.

4EA0969B-A761-4952-8EEB-98C09036C6EA.jpeg

Ugly, yes. But does it work?

839E216A-0A5C-41FC-AC76-04425B0D0F4E.jpeg

5B3F764D-C535-4CFB-A244-FB6CFBCC1203.jpeg

And it does. All functions work and I was right about the lens being the only thing that was broken. A new lens should cost about $500, plus another $500 or so for the headlight brackets and boom: $1500 headlight.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Miss me? I’m back! And we’ve got parts. Over the past couple days the suspension, steering rack, new wheel and tire arrived. Yesterday my lift showed up.

View attachment 154142

View attachment 154143
Weird seeing a Lambo caliper with some channel locks and a framing / construction hammer being used on it. :bowrofl:

Great project though!

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Weird seeing a Lambo caliper with some channel locks and a framing / construction hammer being used on it. :bowrofl:

Great project though!

Haha. You know, I'd have said the same thing before I started watching Mat Armstrong on YouTube. Then I started feeling less shame.

It's wild seeing one of these things up close and taken apart. Why would anyone buy one of these over an Audi RSQ8, other than the bragging rights of owning a Lamborghini?

Did Lamborghini add enough of their own influence into the Urus to make it worth the premium?

I would say likely yes. Everything in the car is really nice. Like absurdly nice. It's very well built and people that review them, even against the RSQ8, seem to love them and say they're tuned differently to the point where the Lamborghini feels much more precise. For me, I have a hard time being on this side of the transaction though. Usually I have the crappier car with parts from the nicer cars. This is the nicer car that's mostly comprised of parts from crappier cars. Obviously I'm playing fast and loose with my definition of crappy.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I owe you guys an update!

First things first... Headlights.

I told you I took a chance on that cheap eBay headlight. Last week I sat down and baked it, removed the old lens and sat there for a few hours with a Q-Tip, getting every last piece of dust out of it.

tempImageFuPMgR.png

Fitting the new lens:

tempImageNnrvCb.png

Holding it all together with ratchet straps while the glue cured. This is the Lamborghini official procedure I'm sure.

tempImage4rdlLo.png

And the finished product!

tempImageYbqXiy.png

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
This is the passenger side airbag sensor bracket. This bracket bent but didn't hit the sensor hard enough to set off the bags. He came really close to another 10 - 15k in damage.

tempImagegBfmR8.png

Some plastic welding here. Plastic welding is my new favorite thing. You can fix anything stronger than glue and without any of the hassle of cure time. I weld stuff and hang weight off of it 5 minutes later. I don't know why this isn't more of a well known thing. I was able to fix this bracket which saved me from having to replace that entire header panel piece. It wouldn't have been the end of the world but would have been a ton more labor.

tempImageOoO8bB.png

New auxiliary water pump.

tempImagecmblcU.png

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Now it gets fun! New intercooler and behind that a new secondary radiator. Mechanically that completes our work and "closes" out the engine in the sense that it has a closed coolant loop and closed intake system.

Brackets for the fender. This one (silver) holds the fender, headlight and front bumper carrier. You can also see the new intercooler and radiator down there.

tempImageJImpGW.png

This one (silver) holds the rear of the fender.

tempImage3CEeCP.png

One last look before we get the fender on.

tempImagekHRoIs.png

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
We've got a fender! I noticed the hood didn't quite line up in the back. So I took a look at the hinge and realized it was pushed back. It was easy enough to fix because I could just match the un-painted part of the bracket to the painted part of the car like a puzzle piece and boom: perfect fit. This fender was $2000. It weighs nothing. Maybe a couple pounds. It's enraging to pay $2000 for this little material but it's still better than the $4500 Lamborghini wanted.

tempImageztgRfK.png

It's hard to tell in these pictures but the panel gaps are nearly perfect. This was a loose fit to make sure bumper carrier and all hardware lined up. Another 10 or so minutes and I'll have it as good as stock.

tempImagefBSk1A.png

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I had to work a guy on Offerup HARD on this. I bought the top piece (purple wrap) and the piece below that off of him. The car they were pulled from is equipped with side cameras. So I'll need to fill the holes with some scrap from another bumper, plastic weld it and sand it. Did I mention I love plastic welding?

Everything else in the picture I was able to salvage from his car which thank god because it's death by a thousand cuts if you need to start buying that stuff. Now let's see if we can turn it into a bumper.

tempImageLmIJ8i.png

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
And it looks like we can! It's starting to look like a car again! There's still a lot of small stuff to do but it's the stuff that ends up taking the most time. I need two bumper modules, a bumper harness (ordered the wrong one before I knew there were so many different option combos), need to have the hood fixed or replaced, replace the passenger side trim piece, both headlight washers, get parking sensors, calibrate the radar and headlights, install all the fender flares and then have my steering rack coded. I also have to fix the stock wiring harness by hand. But I mean, it's there. Maybe 10 hours of work from here until it's finished.

The only real what-if is the rear mount for the lower control arm that was definitely tweaked but may come out fine. If it was my car I'd replace the subframe and I made that clear to him but he doesn't want to unless absolutely necessary. So once it's revived I'll align it and see how close we are. It's hard to appreciate from these pictures how good the panel gaps are. The hood is bent and pushing down on everything. So even though it doesn't look bad in the pictures, it's worse than it actually is. The bumper to fender, fender to door, bumper to hood, etc are all within stock tolerances. From the outside, you won't be able to tell this car was hit.

tempImageUST81s.png

tempImagemUqwSi.png

tempImage2277wE.png

tempImageQdGvTb.png

tempImagebGfJzJ.png

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Quick update... Drove it for the first time. Ok, I know I've made fun of this thing for being an Audi but holy christ does it rip. It's obscene. I had no power steering. So I just got a single straight line 20 - 60 hit but what a kick in the ass. Still though, if this is your jam, save yourself $125,000 and get an RSQ8.

My body guy was able to get the hood fixed and even managed to restore the bottom of it to a point where it's not obvious that it was damaged. Once we have the rubber seal back on that side you'd never know unless you really looked.

It's still driving me nuts that dude isn't going to paint this. It's a non-metallic black. My guy will do the entire front clip for $2000 and he just doesn't want any part of it. He's just going to wrap it. I mean, hey I get it but don't you want the car to be stock underneath that for when you eventually go to sell it? But hey, not my car, not my decision.

Here's some before and afters of the hood.

tempImageR4BHff.png

tempImagendhvMf.png

tempImage4L4W1n.png

Thread Info