Mike K's All Encompassing Tesla Model 3 Super Emporium

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
In this post we'll discuss the best car ever made. And after we're done talking about the 1989 Grand Marquis we'll discuss the Tesla Model 3!

The more I read about this the more I think we've got a really big problem. Actually, Tesla has a really big problem. Unless your only metric of importance is brutal acceleration the Model 3 is a better car than the S and half the price.

It's smaller and more efficient, it apparently has more rear head room and better ergonomics, it's has more range than the S75 and modestly less than the S100 and it has a better interior.

And now Tesla, presumably understanding of the pickle they've got themselves into, is actively trying to undersell the car. They asked the EPA to lower the range of the high capacity battery car from 334 to 310. The former is just 6 miles off of the big daddy Model S 100D.

And now the one metric I was actually concerned about - performance - was put to bed today when it was revealed that they're also lying about the 0-60 time. What was supposed to be 5.1 seconds to 60 is actually 4.6 seconds. Quarter mile? 13.3 seconds. We're not talking supercar performance here but we are dealing with an objectively quick car, especially when you consider that the performance variant won't be introduced until next year.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I just put in a rental request for a Model 3 on Turo for tomorrow. Will report back.

Please do. I'm curious if the quality disparity between it and the S, X is similar to how a big automaker makes cuts on lesser models, or if it's similar but just a difference size. They wouldn't let me in the one at the LA Auto Show, and that's the closest I've been to a 3.

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
Open the front doors, get a good look at the back of the door looking from the inside looking out, where the window meets the door card.

Vids online show this area looks unfinished /funky.

Is the back seat lower cushion too low for thigh support for those around 5-8 to 6-0?

Take it up the mountain. How does it do in the snow?

How is the audio quality? Does having the tweeters at the top of the A pillars screw up the soundstage imaging and depth?

If it's got base wheels, pull the covers and get some closeup shots. Any weird mounting lugs left exposed? Is the center bore open, and if so, does it look like a standard sized cap can snap in?

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I have to totally disagree about the interiors vs the model S. My wife and I literally just drove a brand new model S yesterday and it’s miles improved vs the older model S cars. Seats are way different, interior sound is way better more quiet. Steering wheel is better, head liner is better, roof is now all glass etc.

It’s the reason I’m not waiting for the model 3 and I’ll be ordering an S. I feel the 3 interior is crap

New thread myself coming soon

d8d406c2653a0d6c8827d4925f8b7bc9.jpg

1d105909f4756ff2fdc68eb8cfdb97e4.jpg

39bc0fd722678a971e1c294ac56da673.jpg

7f4020678d9d599b67a8eb0463c33d8a.jpg

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
In this post we'll discuss the best car ever made. And after we're done talking about the 1989 Grand Marquis we'll discuss the Tesla Model 3!

The more I read about this the more I think we've got a really big problem. Actually, Tesla has a really big problem. Unless your only metric of importance is brutal acceleration the Model 3 is a better car than the S and half the price.

It's smaller and more efficient, it apparently has more rear head room and better ergonomics, it's has more range than the S75 and modestly less than the S100 and it has a better interior.

And now Tesla, presumably understanding of the pickle they've got themselves into, is actively trying to undersell the car. They asked the EPA to lower the range of the high capacity battery car from 334 to 310. The former is just 6 miles off of the big daddy Model S 100D.

And now the one metric I was actually concerned about - performance - was put to bed today when it was revealed that they're also lying about the 0-60 time. What was supposed to be 5.1 seconds to 60 is actually 4.6 seconds. Quarter mile? 13.3 seconds. We're not talking supercar performance here but we are dealing with an objectively quick car, especially when you consider that the performance variant won't be introduced until next year.

As far as range goes idk if it’s fair to compare the 2. One car is close to a full size sedan with amazing trunk and decent frunk space. It’s very heavy and has a good amount of features.

The model 3 is smaller, much like the bolt. Smaller car, lighter weight, possibly better drag coefficient etc all adds up.

The 0-60 time? For me it’s not relevant. The base Tesla will leave any normal car on the road like it’s not moving, and even the base acceleration rivals a good amount of sporty vehicles. It’s hard to make one model 3 a lot slower than a base model S. It’s electric vs electric. Hell even the Volt and Bolt move out in a decent pace.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I have to totally disagree about the interiors vs the model S. My wife and I literally just drove a brand new model S yesterday and it’s miles improved vs the older model S cars. Seats are way different, interior sound is way better more quiet. Steering wheel is better, head liner is better, roof is now all glass etc.

It’s the reason I’m not waiting for the model 3 and I’ll be ordering an S. I feel the 3 interior is crap

New thread myself coming soon

d8d406c2653a0d6c8827d4925f8b7bc9.jpg

1d105909f4756ff2fdc68eb8cfdb97e4.jpg

39bc0fd722678a971e1c294ac56da673.jpg

7f4020678d9d599b67a8eb0463c33d8a.jpg

I’ll touch on this more in a bit but uh... I’d be cancelling that order.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I’ll touch on this more in a bit but uh... I’d be cancelling that order.

Absolutely not.

1. I am not waiting 2 or 3 years to get a model 3

and only having 1 screen offset to my side is a deal breaker for me.

I suggest you go drive a brand new Model S. I drove a new one and a 2 year old car yesterday and it made the old one feel like a 30 grand cheap car. The new ones are far superior to the older S cars. I am shocked how far they have come and I am so glad I waited. I would be pissed being an older S owner

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I’m sure the car is great. That interior is a deal killer for me. That and waiting just to spend 50grand + on it because to get any options or the bigger battery that’s what it costs.... then you are back up somewhat near Model S territory.

No thanks

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Mike, since you are in the know has there been any sort of aftermarket fuckery with these cars to make the batteries output more power or unlock restricted modes?

It's all kind of new territory but so far all we've seen with the S is people changing firmware and upgrading batteries and since you basically need to buy a salvage car to get the parts you need, we don't even see much of that. The one guy I've seen hack them first uploaded the P85 firmware to an 85 and said that effectively turned it into a P85. So that's cool. Then he put the P100D battery in his P85, uploaded the P100D firmware and created a box to simulate the existence of the front motor on his rear wheel drive car. What he ended up with was a 600hp rear wheel drive monster.

Open the front doors, get a good look at the back of the door looking from the inside looking out, where the window meets the door card.

Vids online show this area looks unfinished /funky.

I got a vid of it and a few pictures. I don't see anything.

Is the back seat lower cushion too low for thigh support for those around 5-8 to 6-0?

Yes, it's not very good but it's no worse than the S. Then again, the S isn't good in this respect either. With the surplus of headroom back there I'm surprised they didn't raise the rear seat some.

Take it up the mountain. How does it do in the snow?

California drought. Tomorrow will literally be our first rain since February of 2017. I'm probably going to take it into the mountains today though.

How is the audio quality? Does having the tweeters at the top of the A pillars screw up the soundstage imaging and depth?

It's good. People have said it's better than the ultra high fidelity system in the S. I don't think it's night and day but it's definitely as good and a little punchier on the mid-range bass where the S suffers because of it's ported subwoofer box. It's good, probably on par with the Harmon Kardon in my old BMWs.

If it's got base wheels, pull the covers and get some closeup shots. Any weird mounting lugs left exposed? Is the center bore open, and if so, does it look like a standard sized cap can snap in?

People have already done that and they cool without the covers.

Take these off:

white-tesla-model-3-aero-wheels-418x313.jpg

And this is what you get:

rnucfpa.jpg

Absolutely not.

1. I am not waiting 2 or 3 years to get a model 3

and only having 1 screen offset to my side is a deal breaker for me.

I suggest you go drive a brand new Model S. I drove a new one and a 2 year old car yesterday and it made the old one feel like a 30 grand cheap car. The new ones are far superior to the older S cars. I am shocked how far they have come and I am so glad I waited. I would be pissed being an older S owner

I did. I live in Hollywood man. It's our Toyota Camry. :hsughlol: It's no different than my 2015. Different than a 2013? Yes, better in many ways. Different than my 2015? Other than that cheaply built center console, no not at all. There's a lot of people that perceive a difference but it's not there. It just objectively is not there. The Model 3 has a nicer interior than the 2017 you sat in.

Now if you want to argue design differences, totally get it. They are different cars in that respect but not many people consider the S to be a good luxury car; it's just a good car. It's a pretty shit luxury car and that’s not because of build quality.

But I'm not telling you to cancel that order because the S is horrible. I'm telling you to cancel that order because Tesla will need to fix the S's mediocre interior to keep it relevant because as it sits right now, it's not. They've blown their load with the 3.

But beyond that, the S is still basically on it's original Nvidia center display which largely hasn't been improved and is amazing until....

You use the center display on the Model 3 which is higher resolution, has less lag, is brighter, has newer nav on it that presumably requires the newer CPU it's using, etc. Tesla will push that out to the S and they hired Volvo's old head of interior design not too long ago. They know what they've done here and they know what they need to do. The worst feeling is getting the iPhone 7 a day before the iPhone 8 comes out. I bet you'll see a whole new interior and a huge push upmarket in the S in a matter of a couple months.

As it sits right now, and take my word on this, the only differentiator is the slightly sportier seats in the S and the gauge cluster. By every other metric I'd choose 3 over S and I love my S.

That looks like puke. Just throw up a tablet in the middle of the dash.

But that's my only complaint. Otherwise looks good and I would assume the car works well too.

Call me old fashioned.

Totally a matter of opinion. I understand that.

I'll have more soon. Keep the questions coming.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Big brother is watching. This is an inward facing camera on the rearview mirror, presumably to watch people that are riding in your car when you send it out on the Tesla network. This will be once they are fully self driving which this car has the hardware for.

5507b18938e46fe120ca07818d12abe9.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info