Mike K's All Encompassing Tesla Model 3 Super Emporium

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
About the only build problem I can find fault with. Alcantera headliner where it meets the glass roof. Still not bad for a super low vin car.

9b8e66f1000a91f739443dd4f5e5126d.jpg

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Idk I still disagree. Not having a screen in front of me is a deal breaker. For me I’ve never owned a car this expensive so it’s amazing to me. Is it up to par with the real high end Germans? Probably not. But the trade off is that 120k German car is Work 35 grand in 3 year and the Tesla is still worth 50s or more.

That and if they redo the model S interior will they go the route of the 3 and delete the front screen? If so I’ll be happy with my choice.

Again you are basically asking people to wait 2+ years easy for the model 3.

I also much prefer the model S looks and size. Again it’s all preference

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
This seems like obvious technology but this car has no key. It uses your phone’s Bluetooth, with your phone logged into the Tesla app to unlock the car. So as you approach it unlocks.

What happens if your phone is dead? You use this RFID card. Slide it on the B pillar to unlock and then place it on the center console to start the car.

6a1a5b85d54346daa05930e185436171.jpg

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
So you are saying that there is zero difference in a 2015 model S and a brand new one that was driven by lastls1? Other than a different center console? By you stating it objectively isn't there, that means that is the only change to the cars over the last 3 years correct?

I am not sure if that is the case. I drove a 2018, or 2017 idk it was brand new and I also drove a used 2015 model, because I asked them to see the difference. The 2015 was significantly louder inside, the seats were horrible compared to the new plush synthetic leather. It hugged you better. It wasn’t flat on the bottom. It was wonderful. Go on the website and you will see the difference from the classic seats which are an option now and the standard ones which are so much better

It’s hard with these cars as changes literally happen fast and each quarter.

In my opinion there was significant changes between these cars. Apart from the amazing face lift.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I noticed a massive difference. I mean everything is layed out the same but the seats are so much better. The console is nice. The heated steering wheel is much needed. The sound deadening is way way way better in the new cars. Since I drove them back to back everything was magnified

The full glass roof is now standard. There is alcantara all over the head liner and sides. Everything is just more refined.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
It sounds really nice.

Is the current wait for a model 3 really 2 years? If so, that is laughable. Maybe one day Tesla will grow up and be an actual big boy car manufacturer.

There are 500k plus preorders in front of who ever orders today. So far they haven’t made 2000.

So even if they hit there target of 5000 a week that’s only 260 per year.

It’s a long wait.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
The seats changed in late 2014, not 2015. The original seats were horrible but the car has had good seats since 2015 now.

The heated steering wheel has been a part of the subzero package for a few years. I have it on mine.

The sound deadening isn’t perceivably different in my opinion. The standard glass roof is nice and would be my choice but again, that’s not making it a completely different car.

If you were talking 2013 - 2017 I’d say no doubt you’re right. But 2015 - 2017, Nah. Glass roof is different but the build quality is essentially the same and the M3 interior is nicer.

That’s not a dig to the S either. That’s how car manufacturers work. You generally save your big changes for full re-dos.

Now where we do see eye to eye is on the refresh. IMO, the refreshed Model S is the best looking car on the road.

If you’re sold on the S all I’m saying is wait because buying now is akin to buying an IPhone 7 the day before the iPhone 8 was released. It’s going to get much better because it HAS to get much better.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Also the LED headlights on the S are laughably bad. Apparently they’re better on the 3. That will be another thing Tesla will fix because the mediocre headlights knocked down their safety score.

The new ones? I’ve seen the brand new ones at night and it’s like a damn space ship going down the road. It is seriously blinding if they are behind you.

The old ones? Yea they look odd and the old ones are not LED

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
The new ones? I’ve seen the brand new ones at night and it’s like a damn space ship going down the road. It is seriously blinding if they are behind you.

The old ones? Yea they look odd and the old ones are not LED

I’m not trying to be cocky but I don’t think you realize the level of my obsession. I know the old lights were not LED. It’s the new LEDs I’m referring to and when you say they are blinding from behind you’re making my point. Even the best headlights in the world shouldn’t be blinding. They have a shit beam pattern and the forums are riddled with complaints about them. They are bad.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
So, how do you like it overall? Do you think this is the model that will take Tesla to the next level?

Honestly I think it’s everything they promised and more. I love it and am totally sold on buying one and just handing in my S. It is a really good car.

If I could throw any real criticism at it it would be at the interior which while nicer than the S and overall really nice, still isn’t as nice as say a C class or A4. I would say it’s better than a 3 series though obviously more spartan.

I’m responding as I can. I’m watching the kids play outside and penning responses on my phone so more to come.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
What's your thought on the steering wheel; quality, feel, switchgear.

The wheel is smaller diameter than the S but thick like the S’s. Totally dig it. I don’t know why more companies aren’t using bigger wheels.

Other than that, there’s not a whole lot of switchgear but what is there works well. I was surprised to see them put the window lockout in the touchscreen. That seems kind of silly.

Otherwise materials feel high quality. Everything I can see is soft touch, even the sides of the console which I don’t believe the S has. I wish the seats were a bit sportier looking but they’re not uncomfortable like the original S seats.

I have noticed a couple potential build issues which I’m not sure are actually issues or if they are intentional design choices. More on that later.

One thing I have noticed is that with as much as people have been complaining about Autopilot 2.0 not being as good as autopilot 1.0, the AP2.5 on this car is not only as good as my AP1 car but it’s better.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info