Gaming Microsoft Flight Simulator

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
I want to see independent gameplay and frame rate data before making a decision, but leaning toward XBOX Series X versus dumping any money into my PC to run consistent high or ultra settings.
There is NO POSSIBLE WAY that any console is going to do better than the current gen CPU/GPUs out on the market with this game. There is no console magic dust or silly enhancements they can make that will help this game run better other than lowering all settings and using some sort of dynamic resolution. And this is why people like PC gaming, so they dont have to make settings, FPS and resolution compromises. If you are into PC gaming, just stick with an upgrade path and keep going. If you are just using your PC until you can get the next gen console, then yeah dont upgrade. But Im telling you there isnt going to be a better version of this game that what you get on PC.

Personally I LOVE to mess with settings and run higher framerates now. I just went from a 4k TV with my PC to an LG 3440x1440p 160hz 1ms monitor. I have no idea what I didnt do this sooner. And right now my 7700k/3080 can play all my games in full or even higher than 100% resolution scale, at full quality settings including RTX features, and easily get to the 140 to 180 FPS range. Its quite something to behold.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
There is NO POSSIBLE WAY that any console is going to do better than the current gen CPU/GPUs out on the market with this game. There is no console magic dust or silly enhancements they can make that will help this game run better other than lowering all settings and using some sort of dynamic resolution. And this is why people like PC gaming, so they dont have to make settings, FPS and resolution compromises. If you are into PC gaming, just stick with an upgrade path and keep going. If you are just using your PC until you can get the next gen console, then yeah dont upgrade. But Im telling you there isnt going to be a better version of this game that what you get on PC.

Personally I LOVE to mess with settings and run higher framerates now. I just went from a 4k TV with my PC to an LG 3440x1440p 160hz 1ms monitor. I have no idea what I didnt do this sooner. And right now my 7700k/3080 can play all my games in full or even higher than 100% resolution scale, at full quality settings including RTX features, and easily get to the 140 to 180 FPS range. Its quite something to behold.

Here’s where I’m at: i5 7400, GTX 1070. A 7700 is $400, a 3080 is $700. A 3060 is $500. So even minimum, I’m looking at $900, sans any power supply/cpu cooler, to match the Xbox, and a 7700 three-year old quad-core isn’t even a match for XBOX, just what I can update to without a motherboard/case change. That’s enough money for this gen, and a next-next-Gen. And for what games I play, there aren’t enough PC-exclusive titles for me to justify. That’s what seems logical for me, anyway. I get where you’re coming from and why PC is right for you, but that doesn’t appeal to me as much.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Here’s where I’m at: i5 7400, GTX 1070. A 7700 is $400, a 3080 is $700. A 3060 is $500. So even minimum, I’m looking at $900, sans any power supply/cpu cooler, to match the Xbox, and a 7700 three-year old quad-core isn’t even a match for XBOX, just what I can update to without a motherboard/case change. That’s enough money for this gen, and a next-next-Gen. And for what games I play, there aren’t enough PC-exclusive titles for me to justify. That’s what seems logical for me, anyway. I get where you’re coming from and why PC is right for you, but that doesn’t appeal to me as much.
Game Pass being on PC makes building a pc seem at least a good option now.

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019

You need an upgrade for sure. But for say $400 more than an xbox series X, you have twice the performance easy. Get yourself a 1440p monitor and enjoy. I get that the console is cheaper, but it will be frozen in time for that price. For $500 i could get a 3600x CPU, mobo and DDR4 memory. Your 1070 should do nicely with that upgrade. Or get a cheap used 2070 Super.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
You need an upgrade for sure. But for say $400 more than an xbox series X, you have twice the performance easy. Get yourself a 1440p monitor and enjoy. I get that the console is cheaper, but it will be frozen in time for that price. For $500 i could get a 3600x CPU, mobo and DDR4 memory. Your 1070 should do nicely with that upgrade. Or get a cheap used 2070 Super.

Here’s the thing. Flight Sim is a hog, so even then I’m not in good shape with the 1070.

“The Xbox’s CPU is comparable to a lower-clocked, last-gen Ryzen 7 3700X, which costs around $300. Its 40 RDNA 2 graphics compute units come clocked at 1,815MHz.

Turning to GPUs, the RDNA 2-based Radeon RX 6800 graphics card coming out on November 18 for $579 features 60 CUs at the same clock speed, so the Xbox Series X will probably wind up being roughly on par with something like a step-down Radeon RX 6700. Microsoft’s console performs somewhere in the ballpark of the last-gen RTX 2080 and 2080 Ti, going off early reports.”

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
Here’s the thing. Flight Sim is a hog, so even then I’m not in good shape with the 1070.

“The Xbox’s CPU is comparable to a lower-clocked, last-gen Ryzen 7 3700X, which costs around $300. Its 40 RDNA 2 graphics compute units come clocked at 1,815MHz.

Turning to GPUs, the RDNA 2-based Radeon RX 6800 graphics card coming out on November 18 for $579 features 60 CUs at the same clock speed, so the Xbox Series X will probably wind up being roughly on par with something like a step-down Radeon RX 6700. Microsoft’s console performs somewhere in the ballpark of the last-gen RTX 2080 and 2080 Ti, going off early reports.”
You can’t really get any new GPU right now. All the bots buy them and scalp them on eBay.

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 19, 2009
Windsor, CO
Found a decent deal locally (Cheyenne, WY) on the Logitech yoke and pedals. Decent being $50 less than Logitech list price.

47214EA2-57C8-4ABD-A3EB-C8342ACFEEE3.jpeg

Reactions: Bru

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Strangest thing happened. Maybe you guys can help me diagnose. I’ve been super happy with how it’s been running that I stepped up the graphics to high-end. The CPU and GPU have been in the 90-percent range, according to what’s being reported to the task manager, but not maxed and I haven’t had any bad shutters.

I just updated to the latest nvidia drivers, and I lost a lot of oomph from my GPU, forcing the CPU to run at 100-percent and cause stutters. The task manager says the GPU never gets above 10 percent, but the windows game monitor says 48 percent. And the task manager cpu usage and the core program cpu monitor both say the same thing, that it’s pegged. It runs way worse now, almost like the settings or what flight sim did to fix the usage issue have been reverted to a couple updates ago. The stutters are back in a bad way.

I went to roll back the GPU firmware, but because I uninstalled and reinstalled after trying to fix the issue, I don’t have the old one to roll back to. Is there a way to install old drivers?

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I downloaded MSI Afterburner to verify all is well and it looks like at 1080p I’m approaching the limits of the GTX 1070 on high settings. I’ve tweaked some settings without over-clocking the GPU, and am very happy with how it’s running considering the mid-level and age of the system. For some reason the FPS didn’t show, but it was around 40-50 in this stint. And I was able to record an on-screen vid without it killing performance.

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 19, 2009
Windsor, CO
Thats what I figured would happen if I played it. I didnt see how it was anything else than an exciting few days exploring and then a "now what" moment.
Yeah there’s no objectives. I could certainly do plenty more exploring but beyond that idk. I still fire up Forza on a nearly weekly bases so I think I’d get more use out of a wheel setup for that. Plus could try some other more sim like racing games.

Reactions: Mook

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Yeah there’s no objectives. I could certainly do plenty more exploring but beyond that idk. I still fire up Forza on a nearly weekly bases so I think I’d get more use out of a wheel setup for that. Plus could try some other more sim like racing games.

Its a simulation. Not sure it is meant to have objectives. But I agree. Not much todo past exploring the entire world, different airports, aircraft, weather conditions etc. You also have landing challenges, bush flights, flying lessons, etc. Eventfully we will get more aftermarket addon support also. Previous versions had ALOT more support for features besides just flying around. More flying lessons with aircraft besides a 152, more challenges, flights with flight plans and ATC you could complete. Just more of everything generally.

Reactions: Bru

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Microsoft should have continued development of their Train Simulator. Unfortunately, they abandoned it.
It was much more fun than Flight Simulator IMO and there were lots of activities to do.
Running a rush hour passenger train and trying to keep it at speed, on-time and stopping perfectly at the stations was a challenge.
Hauling freight over mountains and making deliveries was fun too.

If we had a Train Simulator with the same advanced graphics and attention to detail that Flight Sim has, it would be a great game.

The closest thing we have is "Train Sim World" and it's not too bad, but not on the quality level of Flight Sim.

18c4401ea0e1ccb930fe68cde0a8a98a257cedff.jpg

TSW2020_CSX.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info