Gaming Microsoft Flight Simulator

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Huge playability improvement on my four-core i5 7400 - 16 gb ram and GTX 1070 in 1080. I don’t have any quantifiable FPS data because I previously fiddled with settings so often that I never felt I had a good benchmark. And of course spent hours scouring the forums for every trick and tip to improve performance to keep it from stuttering.

But, now, on stock Medium settings, which wasn’t consistently playable before, flying from MDW over downtown Chicago at about 2,300 feet in a 172 I saw CPU usage go from pegging all four cores and constantly bouncing off of 100 percent (and screeching the game to a halt) to a much happier 85-95 percent. I also heard the high-speed fan ramp up for the first time playing.

Playability for me is much more consistent. There are no major or frequent stutters like before unless I’m trying to follow the Chicago River through the buildings, which I accept as not doable because of my hardware and more of a frame rate issue versus what I suspect was a pegged CPU stutter before.

There’s still a small chop here or there but not like before. GPU seems to have stepped up to the plate, and previously was 50-60 percent and is now in the 85-95 percent range.

Overall, super happy what the latest patch did for my machine and how I play.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I was, but I’m on dated tech. I imagine there’s a big difference between 4, 6 and more core processors. My i5 is also only 4 thread. The four core CPU performance was one issue they specifically targeted in this release. I don’t know how it affects more robust CPUs.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I am really being tempted by y'all to get this, once flight controls are back in stock. However I'm not sure how well my current setup will run it. Yeah, it's an i7 with hyperthreading (4770K) and 32 GB DDR3, but I have a weak graphics card (GeForce TI-Boost 1GB) by today's standards, granted I'd only be pushing it to 1920x1080. No 4K monitor yet.

Did I read somewhere you can cache areas so they load faster and more fluidly? If so, how much space are we talking? Cause it's only going to take a little push for me to want to upgrade my root SSD to something bigger, unless that data can be set to be stored on a different drive?

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I am really being tempted by y'all to get this, once flight controls are back in stock. However I'm not sure how well my current setup will run it. Yeah, it's an i7 with hyperthreading (4770K) and 32 GB DDR3, but I have a weak graphics card (GeForce TI-Boost 1GB) by today's standards, granted I'd only be pushing it to 1920x1080. No 4K monitor yet.

Did I read somewhere you can cache areas so they load faster and more fluidly? If so, how much space are we talking? Cause it's only going to take a little push for me to want to upgrade my root SSD to something bigger, unless that data can be set to be stored on a different drive?

Only in areas that have photogrammetry cities. I had to delete my manual cache to make room for this update (10 gigs). Need to look at the best way to add/replace my 256 gig SSD because it’s nearly full with only this game and iracing.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Corkscrew looking good! Cruised Highway 1 tonight on High End settings and my machine did very well. Slows a bit in more populated areas, but can fly smoothly on higher settings here and most non-urban locations.

Screenshot-2.png
Screenshot-3.png
Screenshot-7.png
Screenshot-9.png

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I just keep finding more disappointments the more I play this game. Since it is not officially fall I was wondering when I will see some fall colors. So I tried changing the dates with no change in scenery.

Yup no scenery textures that change with the seasons. OR at least I cannot figure out how to properly change the date to reflect fall, winter, spring, etc.

Another feature that has been with the game since the beginning of time, that is now non-existent. You can change the weather to have it snowing but having actual snow on the ground when its not snowing I cannot figure out how to make it happen. I feel like it is a issue with the Bing maps engine so maybe if I play "offline" I will have 4 season textures for the ground? IDK

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Follow the FS forums https://forums.flightsimulator.com/

And there’s also a massive FS 2020 Facebook group with good info.https://www.facebook.com/groups/101987210144851/?ref=share

This is a good forum.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods

Yuppp.

Finally figured out the "workaround" before seeing this thread.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info