Gaming Microsoft Flight Simulator

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
Donating Member
Reaction score
Now that I have an actual semi DECENT computer setup, Im getting more and more enticed by this game, especially since its on game pass. Those that are playing, are you just using an xbox controller?

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
I'm just using an Xbox controller on my pc. I use the keyboard and the controller at the same time for certain functions. It's still pretty fun that way.

Bru

Staff member
Donating Member
Reaction score
Now that I have an actual semi DECENT computer setup, Im getting more and more enticed by this game, especially since its on game pass. Those that are playing, are you just using an xbox controller?

Prior to the game’s launch last year, I bought a basic Thrustmaster Hotas setup for $80. Not sure if you can still get this or if there’s another version. The one I bought seems limited or discontinued stock, selling for more that what I paid. I’ve also used the Xbox controller and it works well too.

Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas One (XBOX Series X/S & XOne and Windows) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07643TW2...abc_PDNTSZ2QZN0V8X4357VP?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Bru

Staff member
Donating Member
Reaction score
It will hurt to spend $35 on this add-on, but it's going to happen.

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Got the f14. In terms of detail, it looks and sounds amazing. It's a bit hard to fly too which kind of makes it interesting. Compared to the eurofighter it's leaps above it in detail. It also can't fly into space like the eurofighter either so I'd say it's more realistic too. I almost want to uninstall that piece of crap. Hard to recommend at almost $40 but it's cool to have a jet with working after burners in fs2020.
2021-09-10.jpg

Bru

Staff member
Donating Member
Reaction score
This mod has been around for a while but hopefully it can be a proof of concept to make this real-world modeling work for a car racing/adventure game.

Bru

Staff member
Donating Member
Reaction score
Also, I'm glad I never spent any money upgrading my computer to try and make this run better when it launched. While they've dumbed it down to play nice on mediocre computers and XBOX, that's been a great strategy for me :rofl: Although I believe I read that sim update 6 will bring new LOD options to boost detail back to what it was for machines that can run it.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
This mod has been around for a while but hopefully it can be a proof of concept to make this real-world modeling work for a car racing/adventure game.

I am pretty shocked there isnt a helicopter or a glider yet. A flighter will also keep some fan boys happy. But sounds like that is coming in December Top Gun update?

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
The update a while back really boost game performance. I wanted to try and install FS2020 on my work laptop to see how well it fares but being from the store seems you can only install it on one machine. The most recent update fixed a ton of shit including the very annoying rudder sensitivity. With any kind of real world wind the small aircraft were almost impossible to keep straight down the runway on take off. Glad to see it a bit more realistic.

Bru

Staff member
Donating Member
Reaction score
I am pretty shocked there isnt a helicopter or a glider yet. A flighter will also keep some fan boys happy. But sounds like that is coming in December Top Gun update?

Native choppers are planned for 2022. Not sure about gliders. I'd imagine the weather model would have to support thermals, better wind modeling etc, for it to be included with any accuracy.

Bru

Staff member
Donating Member
Reaction score
So I think this is the best place to ask this. But has anybody here tried DCS? Just curious how it compares to MFS.

I’m curious too, but the attention to detail that can go into weapon systems, nav, etc was a bit intimidating.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Yeah a couple of people I follow who used to pilot a bunch in Battlfield moved over to DCS and Arma and it had me curious. I was only an average pilot in BF (not a sim by any means) and decent at helicopters.
Arma

DCS

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Dcs looks awesome but those planes are really expensive to download. I just like watching Growling Sidewinder videos.

A few more fighter jets are coming to fs2020 but do your research first. Most of them are pretty trash. The f14 is probably the only good one right now.

Bru

Staff member
Donating Member
Reaction score
I'm pumped for the official FA/18. I guess it was supposed to launch with Top Gun, but with the movie delays they decided to dump it anyway. Nov 18.

We are adding 5 brand new aircraft to Microsoft Flight Simulator:

• Boeing F/A-18 Super Hornet: Our first military jet and a highly requested feature from the community. The Top Gun: Maverick expansion will release with the movie next Spring, but we wanted simmers to have the opportunity to test their need for speed this holiday.

WhiteKnuckleScat

Mopowah Baby!!
Donating Member
Reaction score
I’ve started to get into this a little bit.
Need to try it on my pc again because it ran like shit when it first came out. I only have a i5 and 1080 so don’t expect too much.

It does run good on the series x. I find myself using an odd combination of controller/mouse/and keyboard when playing. That is the biggest barrier to me is just figuring out and remembering what everything does.

Bru

Staff member
Donating Member
Reaction score
Need to try it on my pc again because it ran like shit when it first came out. I only have a i5 and 1080 so don’t expect too much.

It does run good on the series x. I find myself using an odd combination of controller/mouse/and keyboard when playing. That is the biggest barrier to me is just figuring out and remembering what everything does.

I’m on an i5 7400 and 1070. The past few updates have really made the game run well on so-so hardware.

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score

I play the same way. Most controls are the controller, a few of them I have mapped to the keyboard and then I use the mouse to click on the some the buttons/switches.

Top Bottom