Michael Bloomberg Donates $1.8B to Johns Hopkins University

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Holy FUCK.

Michael Bloomberg is using his sizable fortune to help more young people pursue higher education.

In an op-ed for the New York Times published on Monday, the former New York City mayor — who is reportedly eyeing the Oval Office — announced that he had donated $1.8 billion to Johns Hopkins University.

The donation, which is the largest-ever contribution made to any educational institution, will exclusively be used to provide financial aid to undergraduate students at Bloomberg’s alma mater, according to a press release from the university.

“America is at its best when we reward people based on the quality of their work, not the size of their pocketbook,” Bloomberg, a billionaire himself, wrote in the op-ed. “Denying students entry to a college based on their ability to pay undermines equal opportunity. It perpetuates intergenerational poverty. And it strikes at the heart of the American dream: the idea that every person, from every community, has the chance to rise based on merit.”

“Now, I want to be sure the school that gave me a chance will be able to permanently open that same door of opportunity for generations of talented students, regardless of their ability to pay,” the 76-year-old added. “ It will allow the school to offer more generous scholarships. It will ease the burden of student debt for many graduates. And it will help open up the American dream to more young people.”

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Dude is worth almost 50 billion, I guess he can spare 2 billion.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
Donating Member
Reaction score
I smoked pot with Johnny Hopkins. It was Johnny Hopkins and Sloan Kettering. And they were blazing that shit up every day.

Kensington

Donating Member
Reaction score
I mean, good for him...sending to a highly selective, private institution, where a perfect ACT or SAT score only gives you a 50% chance of getting admitted...

I would like to see how many low income students are rejected based on ability to pay...I would assume not that many...

If anything, this just shows me that a rich guy is giving a rich private school money, so rich kids can go to college for cheaper :dunno:

jason05gt

Reaction score
It would be interesting to read how he got to $1.8B. At that point, I'd just round up and donate $2 billion lol.

P40E

Reaction score
I saw this the other day and thought why hasn't he donated a billion to New York City yet ?

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wonder if this guy would of or could still have a shot at becoming president. He's a self made billionaire like Trump, Romney, and JB but IIRC he ran independent 3rd party.

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
The rumor is, hes gearing up for a 2020 run.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Reaction score
hard to even imagine that much money really, that is a staggering amount indeed.

VenomousDSG

Smells own farts
Reaction score
Good for him, a noble cause. It's not going to get him elected though, which is probably his intention.

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
Donating Member
Reaction score
Yup, good for him.
So much money

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom