3800 Messed up my eye

• Thread starter imported_Ron Vogel
  • Start date
I

imported_Ron Vogel

Well, I did some welding this morning, had my glasses on and was using a hand held welding shield. Even with jack stands, there wasn't enough room to lay under what I was welding, so I laid on my side. I'm pretty sure I just caught too much of an arc before I put the shield up, but eye is real sensitive to light, and keeps pussing up. I had to haul ass home from this wedding tonight, half-stiff and only being able to see out of one eye to get home, because the babysitter had to leave. If it doesn't get better by morning, looks like I'll have to take the dreaded 5th trip to the emergency room for an eye injury. I was actually trying to be careful this morning...at least the car sounds bitchin now!

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I hope your eyes dont get worse. Ive had eye problems before and it is not comfortable or something I wanna experience again.

Definatly get it checked out if your having problems reading this tomorrow. Dont wanna mess up your vision, since its perminant.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Yup, I decided my next exhaust project is going to get done by someone else. I hate dicking around under the car like that when there's no room to work. I cleaned my eye with a cotton swab soaked in contact lens cleaner, and kept it flushed all day yesterday, but it's still irritated. I'm pretty sure that what happened is that my retina got flashed, and it's swollen. So today, I'll drink lots of water to keep it hydrated. I think it's time to get an auto-dimming hood, the two masks I have are pretty old, and at this point, you can hardly see through them anyway. I have to get an arc started, then put the mask in front of me quickly, and sometimes I'm not that quick.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Drank a bunch of water this morning and it's 100% better. Couldn't hardly open it this morning, but it's all fine now. Think I'll stay away from my contacts for a couple of days anyway. I'll have to start shopping for a new auto hood. I still have some welding projects to do, good thing they can be done off the car, for example, the steel cowl hood scoop that's going on when I repaint the hood...

I

imported_Theautoguy

I may be able to get you a new auto helmet for about $100 if you're interested.

1N782.JPG

I

imported_Ron Vogel

#6 trip last night.

Got out of the emergency room about 6am. I was grinding metal, and my normal protection procedure was compromised. I wear contacts under safety glasses. I always seem to get stuff past the safety glasses, and the contacts catch the rest.

When I got done working yesterday, I went to remove my "work" contacts and the left eye contact was missing. So it must have fallen out at some point. About 2 hours later I started feeling it. I cleaned my eye with a cotton swab in contact solution and got 1 of the pieces. Later in the evening eye started hurting more, so I looked again and found a bigger chunk of metal. Tried everything, but it wouldn't come out. About 3 am I knew I had to go see a doctor ASAP.

I'm on Vicodin and antibiotics now; they had to gouge the cornea pretty deep to get the last chunk out. I have to go in to see an opthalmologist today to have my eyeball polished to remove the rust rings.

Fun stuff. Looks like the rest of my vacation is screwed. :pissed:

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
Ron your really need to wear some saftey glasses and face mask for welding.

Eyes are not that easy to heal.

I wear safety glasses a few hours per day and its not that bad.

The trick is to get the most comfortable pair of safety/welding glasses as possible so it doesnt feel like a PITA to wear all day.

GL

I

imported_Ron Vogel

I do wear goggles, and contacts. I had more problems wearing glasses and safety goggles. I swear my eye sockets are like funnels or something. I would have been fine if one of my contacts hadn't of fallen out while I was working. I use a full face sheild too, but only when I'm using the high-speed wire brush.

rjaz gtp

TCG Elite Member
Feb 10, 2008
Naperville
eye injuries suck so bad, and i always get stuff in mine even wearing the proper glasses.

last summer i got a metal shaving loged in my eyeball (the white part of your eyeball) and had to go to the ER at 4 in the morning cause it hurt so bad. then they strapped my head in a harness, put these numbing drops in my eye which burned like nothing else thats been in my eye than actaully had to drill this piece out!

Nothing better than having to keep you eye pried open as a drill comes right at it. that has to be the weirdest feeling in the world as you hear the drill going and see it in your eye but dont feel it at all. the only thing i felt was my eyeball boucning around as he drilled....

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by J.E.T.@Jan 5 2006, 02:17 PM
Take it from someone who has eye problems (me  :( )  - eyesight is very important.  Be careful man!

More exhaust work on your car?  What exactly do you want it to sound like?

J.E.T.
[snapback]109428[/snapback]​
No more exhaust for a while, I was making some PEM's. I got a core return for a Bonnie and wanted to get the front one done so I didn't have to think about it. I'd post pics of the front manifold because it came out so well, but the outside is still rusty and crusty. I'm getting quicker with each set I do, and I'm still finding ways to improve the process. I was trying out some new double-cut carbide burrs this time, and they absolutely kicked ass in material removal.

Oh and Rich, the only time they had to strap me in was about 10 years ago. They used these spreaders to keep my eyelids open. It's pretty bizzare when the bit touches your eye because you can see your vision distort when they do it. The eye itself heals pretty quickly, but when they have to do the drilling/polishing it still takes a few days to heal. I remember how light sensitive it is too, not pleasant at all.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info