Mercedes question; purchase or pass??

Charlie_Boy7

Addict
May 10, 2010
University Park, IL
Real Name
Charles
found an 88 300se loaded with factory options. outside is in good shape.. interior could use a cleanup. anyway, it starts but needs a new battery and has over 150k miles on it. its got the inline 6 motor in it (non diesel). its $500.. the engine bay is spacious and everything looks easy to get to since its an inline 6

he says he just started it last week off a jump.. and I saw it today, its everything he said it was and was not. and he also said it had brake work done before he parked it about a year ago.

is it a good deal for 500? or would a be buying a heap of German poo?

STiBoy21

Oct 22, 2010
found an 88 300se loaded with factory options. outside is in good shape.. interior could use a cleanup. anyway, it starts but needs a new battery and has over 150k miles car accessories on it. its got the inline 6 motor in it (non diesel). its $500.. the engine bay is spacious and everything looks easy to get to since its an inline 6

he says he just started it last week off a jump.. and I saw it today, its everything he said it was and was not. and he dvd headrest also said it had brake work done before he parked it about a year ago.

is it a good deal for 500? or would a be buying a heap of German poo?

Nice price but like said before it will break down (hope it doesnt) but chances are it might and fixing a benz is a bit pricey.

Tuner World

The tech kid!!
Mar 8, 2009
Hoffman Estates
I'd buy it. My Uncle has been a Mercedes guy his whole life and I have seen these things go through some crazy things. His son (my cousin) had a 300 Diesel Turbo with like 290xxx miles on it and thing was still going with great gas mileage! (and he beat on it too). Someone rear-ended him and it got totalled or I bet he would still be driving it.

His mom (my aunt) had the same car, but non turbo and it had like 260000 miles on it and was still nice. My cousin also totalled this one lol but ya they're strong cars with long lasting motors. They barely maintained them too

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
I'd buy it. My Uncle has been a Mercedes guy his whole life and I have seen these things go through some crazy things. His son (my cousin) had a 300 Diesel Turbo with like 290xxx miles on it and thing was still going with great gas mileage! (and he beat on it too). Someone rear-ended him and it got totalled or I bet he would still be driving it.

His mom (my aunt) had the same car, but non turbo and it had like 260000 miles on it and was still nice. My cousin also totalled this one lol but ya they're strong cars with long lasting motors. They barely maintained them too

those are diesels... totally different motors than a gas motor...

id expect you to know that...

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
For $500 buy it, drive it until it dies (which could be soon), and then sell it in peices for profit.

The headlights, brake booster, heater core, blower motor, etc.... are all worth over 100 bucks seperatley. OEM Parts from MB are very very expensive, and mercedes enthusiasts will often look on sites like CL for used parts before buying new. Hell, I sold a pair of headlights for $350. I would say go for it and see what happens. Those cars never cease to amaze me, even with gas engines.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info