Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike

1617233878795.png

1617233937281.png

Mercedes is readying the EQS all-electric sedan for its imminent reveal. However, the car is everything but a secret. We've already learned a lot about the new model, with Mercedes announcing last summer that the EQS would offer more than 700 kilometers (435 miles) of electric range, leaving it open-ended. But today, the company provided a ceiling, announcing that the car would offer up to 770 km (478 mi).

Those big figures are based on Europe's forgiving WLTP test cycle, which means the US EPA will likely rate its range below those numbers. It's also not clear how a heavy right foot will factor into the car’s range, either. Rumors suggest that the EQS will boast a powertrain that makes 470 horsepower (351 kilowatts) and 560 pound-feet (759 Newton-meters) of torque at launch, with a 600-hp (447 kW) AMG version also rumored to be in the works.

The EQS will sit alongside the gas-powered S-Class in the Mercedes lineup, boasting gobs of technology. The company will offer its new MBUX Hyperscreen display as an option in the sedan. It puts three displays under a single piece of glass that spans the entire width of the dashboard. Those who don't opt for the screen receive the S-Class infotainment system, which is still quite impressive and changes the dashboard design.

Mercedes will fully reveal the EQS on April 15, though it's just the beginning of the company's EV efforts. Later this year, Mercedes will reveal the smaller EQE, with both sedans expected to spawn SUV versions, too. AMG announced yesterday that it has two new EVs on the horizon as the brand begins putting its spin on the EQ sub-brand, with an arrival scheduled for this year. The AMG EV will hit 60 miles per hour in under 4 seconds, though first, we have to see the EQS next month.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
People who think EV ranges are optimistic on the EPA test are going to be in shock when they find out about the WLTP cycle. It’ll be less than 400 miles EPA for sure.
not to mention the fact that this thing will be $150k plus for the base and the “AMG” version has the same 0-60 as a Long range Dual motor model 3.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
People who think EV ranges are optimistic on the EPA test are going to be in shock when they find out about the WLTP cycle. It’ll be less than 400 miles EPA for sure.
not to mention the fact that this thing will be $150k plus for the base and the “AMG” version has the same 0-60 as a Long range Dual motor model 3.

the article mentions that

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville

Why is price a big issue? Mercedes is a luxury brand which commands a premium price. I think people tend to associate Tesla as a luxury brand due to price point. Tesla is not a luxury brand.

Tesla owners should demand more for the price they are paying (IE build quality and luxurious interiors).

Reactions: Turk and Rent Free

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Why is price a big issue? Mercedes is a luxury brand which commands a premium price. I think people tend to associate Tesla as a luxury brand due to price point. Tesla is not a luxury brand.

Tesla owners should demand more for the price they are paying (IE build quality and luxurious interiors).
Because the performance version of a $150k+ vehicle should be faster than the non-performance version of a small family car? They are advertising a range (in the headline) that is completely unrealistic to make it higher than the $79,000 model S which is EPA rated at 412 miles? That’s why price matters.

no doubt the S-class and similar spec vehicles are on another level when it comes to luxury and refinement but that’s because they were the pinnacle of every spec on the sheet. That’s why they could demand the price. Now a performance car that goes 0-60 in around 4 seconds is irrelevant.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Because the performance version of a $150k+ vehicle should be faster than the non-performance version of a small family car? They are advertising a range (in the headline) that is completely unrealistic to make it higher than the $79,000 model S which is EPA rated at 412 miles? That’s why price matters.

no doubt the S-class and similar spec vehicles are on another level when it comes to luxury and refinement but that’s because they were the pinnacle of every spec on the sheet. That’s why they could demand the price. Now a performance car that goes 0-60 in around 4 seconds is irrelevant.

Apples to oranges. Tesla build quality and interior quality are subpar. When you buy a Mercedes, you get a world class interior for example and not one that competes with a Hyundai Sonata in terms of build quality and design. My point-Tesla needs to drastically overhaul their design language and manufacturing tolerances, which in turn could command a much higher price point.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Again, the price is due to Mercedes being a luxury brand. We are going in circles and why a brand like Rolex is a lot more expensive than a Timex.
I understand that. What I’m getting at is how are they extracting such poor performance from their EV program, when their ICE cars of the same price point have higher performance? We obviously know that EVs can be quick- Porsche and tesla proved that.

Reactions: MikeyLikesIt

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
I understand that. What I’m getting at is how are they extracting such poor performance from their EV program, when their ICE cars of the same price point have higher performance? We obviously know that EVs can be quick- Porsche and tesla proved that.
Isnt it obvious that an EV drivetrain is more expensive right now than ICE? There’s a reason 6 figure Tesla’s feel like a Hyundai inside and have missing clear coat. They are cutting corners to extract performance at that price point. Benz isn’t willing to do the same.

Reactions: Rent Free

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Isnt it obvious that an EV drivetrain is more expensive right now than ICE? There’s a reason 6 figure Tesla’s feel like a Hyundai inside and have missing clear coat. They are cutting corners to extract performance at that price point. Benz isn’t willing to do the same.
The model S is not the model 3. The model S was never under the microscope of panel gaps and the newer ones interior was never an issue for people. They sell the next gen model S for $79,990 and that is way faster than the “amg” model of this car. And has arguably the same range. Porsche Taycan is wayyyyy faster than the merc for the same price point. So I’m not even only comparing it to tesla.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
The model S is not the model 3. The model S was never under the microscope of panel gaps and the newer ones interior was never an issue for people. They sell the next gen model S for $79,990 and that is way faster than the “amg” model of this car. And has arguably the same range. Porsche Taycan is wayyyyy faster than the merc for the same price point. So I’m not even only comparing it to tesla.
You’re basing all this on one statement of 0-60 under 4 seconds?

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville

Maybe the people buying the car don’t really car about performance and care about luxury? I get it that this is a car enthusiast forum, but most people don’t care about 0-60 or 1/4 mile times. Most people aren’t capable of running 8 minutes at the Ring.

You tesla fanboys will argue until your face is blue, but are missing the obvious point. This is a LUXURY flagship for an established name brand. Tesla is not a luxury brand, hence why Mercedes and Porsche are starting out at a higher price point.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Maybe the people buying the car don’t really car about performance and care about luxury? I get it that this is a car enthusiast forum, but most people don’t care about 0-60 or 1/4 mile times. Most people aren’t capable of running 8 minutes at the Ring.

You tesla fanboys will argue until your face is blue, but are missing the obvious point. This is a LUXURY flagship for an established name brand. Tesla is not a luxury brand, hence why Mercedes and Porsche are starting out at a higher price point.
You think AMG isn’t about performance? Go hop in an S65 and tell me they didn’t tweak a few things to make it faster compared to an S500.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
You think AMG isn’t about performance? Go hop in an S65 and tell me they didn’t tweak a few things to make it faster compared to an S500.

No a S65 is a compromise. It’s too heavy and the suspension is too soft to be all about performance. It’s a luxury super sedan for people with a lot of money.

The people that want to go fast in a Mercedes and have the means will likely be looking at a AMG GT63S, which was designed from the ground up as AMG model.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
No a S65 is a compromise. It’s too heavy and the suspension is too soft to be all about performance. It’s a luxury super sedan for people with a lot of money.

The people that want to go fast in a Mercedes and have the means will likely be looking at a AMG GT63S, which was designed from the ground up as AMG model.
But my point is the gas engines in the S class cars are already faster than this thing. Why would anybody want the “slower” version of the car? I only brought up the tesla as a point of reference because the regular non performance model 3 is probably the most common EV out there and it’s faster than the AMG version of this thing

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
But my point is the gas engines in the S class cars are already faster than this thing. Why would anybody want the “slower” version of the car? I only brought up the tesla as a point of reference because the regular non performance model 3 is probably the most common EV out there and it’s faster than the AMG version of this thing

i think becuase not everyone cares? like why do people buy base vettes over z06s? fast enough? i don't think the quickness/performance of a tesla is a main purchasing factor to large majority of "normal" (ie... non-enthusiast) buyers

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
i think becuase not everyone cares? like why do people buy base vettes over z06s? fast enough? i don't think the quickness/performance of a tesla is a main purchasing factor to large majority of "normal" (ie... non-enthusiast) buyers
But the point is the Z06 doesn’t have the same performance as a Cruze. My point is the AMG should be better performing than a regular plebeian vehicle. I could understand the “standard” version being not a rocket ship.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info