Mechanic Did unauthorized repairs- What next?

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Who signed the work authorization? Anybody?

Most shops make sure they get a signature before they do any repairs because of situations like this.

Talking to Turo guy sounds like the next step.

I think he would have been on speaker phone with the shop right then and there.

Also, why are both you and the Turo mgr approving repairs? it seems funny to me is all.

331stang

Regular
Aug 14, 2011
I went in. They told me that they did the work that was authorized by the Turo Manager. Didn't realize it wasn't his car. They won't take the tires off because they're "used" now. I told them that any wear on the tires was due to them driving it not me. It's sitting in the parking lot unattended w/ no gate or anything. Told them I'm not paying. Car is paid off so even though it's not being rented, it's not costing me any money either & I've been busy with my regular job to find a solution. I told them I never would have bought tires from them because I have a wholesale account w/ discount tire (half true), they said if I bought the same tires at a lower price point, they'd refund me the tires if they could return the new unmounted pair.
I just came back from Vegas this morning. I have a spare key. If I just came and took my car, what would be the repercussions? I'm also still pissed about my K&N filters also that they threw away. I know they're only $100 but between that and the tires it comes out to almost $1000.
If you took the car back, its doubtful they would call the cops for theft due to majority of salesmen having legal issues (warrants, priors ) and dont want to deal with cops ,could just be my place of employment though lol , they would most likely just submit to collections and you'd have legal bullshit to deal with from it ,they do unauthorized repairs like that cause majority of people will just pay the bill due to feeling strong armed by them and feeling stuck ,the repairs financially will come out of the salespersons pocket for the difference

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
Who signed the work authorization? Anybody?

Most shops make sure they get a signature before they do any repairs because of situations like this.

Talking to Turo guy sounds like the next step.
I approved estimate 1. Turns out there was supplements 2 & 3 that I was not informed of which were approved without my permission.
I think he would have been on speaker phone with the shop right then and there.

Also, why are both you and the Turo mgr approving repairs? it seems funny to me is all.
Turo manager needs to make it right, or eat it. or get fired.

UPDATE: I told the shop to pound sand about the additional bill. I’m only paying what I approved. They informed me that they would impound my car. Had my lawyer call them. All extra charges were waived. I pick up the car on Monday. Turo manager has been fired. I’m taking all my cars back on Monday.

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
Updates after firing the manager and getting cars back?. I'd be a nervous wreck that my cars would be damaged or some shit prior to me regaining physical control of them.
I took the cars back before firing him. Said I wanted to inspect them all. Coincidentally, I’ve had my best rental week in months almost immediately. Not sure because of the holiday, recent snow storm or what but every car is booked. Even my Silverado which I put up as a joke just rented for $300/ day for a week. The only challenge now is that the ABS light went off in the WRX so looking for my OB2 scanner

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info