Mechanic Did unauthorized repairs- What next?

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
In my latest Turo adventure... October, I turned over managing my cars to a 3rd party service. Been Super busy with work & managing 5 cars is tough on my own. For whatever reason(I can't remember), I decided to get the oil changed on my WRX myself instead of having them do it. As I drove the 2 miles to the dealer, I noticed a very audible squealing coming from the car. Turns out, the steering rack went out. Got a quote from the dealership (where I normally get all my service done), Turo manager said, let's take it to my guy. Their shop came back with a laundry list of fix its, oil change, replace cabin filter, spark plugs, tires, coolant, etc.. I said no, send me an estimate on the power steering. He sent me two quotes, one for new tires & recommended services & the other for just the power steering. I approved the power steering estimate. Get a call that car is done and needs to be paid for. Total comes out to almost $3K (double what my estimate was). Turns out, they did all the extra services. I refused to pay and told them to take it all back. They said they'll have to get back to me on that.

Curious what my next step would be. I'm not one to ignore services, but the oil change was done earlier this month, probably has less than 100 miles on that oil, K&N filter just needed a wash, (they replaced both with the subaru OEM throwaway filters), tires had a little uneven wear on the edges but I got an alignment last month and was told that it'll even out after some driving, spark plugs were replaced by me when I did the head gaskets last summer. (12K miles ago). Anything extra over the steering rack replacement was not needed. This conversation was over the phone but I intend to stop in tomorrow morning to have an in person. Just curious, what to expect.

• Angry
Reactions: sktchy and v6buicks

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
Tell them you're only paying for what was approved to be repaired or you're filing a police report for extortion. If they give you shit, do it.

This.

Do you have the car back in your possession?
If not, get it on public property with keys in your hand before you tell them to get bent or they could make it difficult.

Reactions: Rebel

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
This.

Do you have the car back in your possession?
If not, get it on public property with keys in your hand before you tell them to get bent or they could make it difficult.
Not yet. Someone was going to pick it up today but I refused to pay for anything over the phone. Any recourse if they don't have my original parts to put back? I feel like that's the next objection that might come up.

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
Not yet. Someone was going to pick it up today but I refused to pay for anything over the phone. Any recourse if they don't have my original parts to put back? I feel like that's the next objection that might come up.

Get the car on public property/in your possession then get into the details. That's critical.
Them tossing the stock parts is immaterial. I wouldn't want them reinstalling old stuff, you know zero fucks are gonna be given.

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Get the car on public property/in your possession then get into the details. That's critical.
Them tossing the stock parts is immaterial. I wouldn't want them reinstalling old stuff, you know zero fucks are gonna be given.
hrmmm how is that possible? Dealers typically don't hand over keys until bill is settled. I had this happened once. I told them take all unapproved parts off. They ended up settling with me . I only paid for the parts not labor and the cost was about the same as original quote.

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
hrmmm how is that possible? Dealers typically don't hand over keys until bill is settled. I had this happened once. I told them take all unapproved parts off. They ended up settling with me . I only paid for the parts not labor and the cost was about the same as original quote.

I have 2-3 sets of keys for all of my vehicles.
Not saying leave, just get the car off of their property. Street out front works fine.
Hard to place a mechanics lien on a car that you don't have possession of thus they're more likely to want to figure it out.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I wouldnt take that shit either.

you could also contact a lawyer and have them draft a letter of demand. Prob cost $50-$100.

unauthorized repair is shady. Especially if a quote for just the work you wanted was created. Do you have a copy of the quotes?

Police won’t get involved unless you can file criminal charges. In most cases it will be considered a civil matter for the court. Which could take a long fucking time.

Reactions: torquelover

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
I have had great luck finding a top dog name at the dealership, sending them an email/voicemail on the shady shit his dealer tried to pull, and letting them trickle down and make things right. What is the dealer?

Side note, what is this "Turo Manager" you're talking about?

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
And your Turo Manager... well "take it to my guy."

You talked to him yet? Tell him this is unbelievable but make him fix it and then you'll forgive his shady referral. If he plays dumb fuck that guy.

No shit. I'd bury it all the way in this guy if he fucks around.
Lots of Turo owners are in it for the $ not for the cars, they would just pay it and move on not realizing they'd been taken.

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
And your Turo Manager... well "take it to my guy."

You talked to him yet? Tell him this is unbelievable but make him fix it and then you'll forgive his shady referral. If he plays dumb fuck that guy.
He just said oops. I've been looking for a new one for a little bit & also have been considering hiring my own staff, the past month has just been hit or miss so I haven't been interested in changing it up yet.
I have had great luck finding a top dog name at the dealership, sending them an email/voicemail on the shady shit his dealer tried to pull, and letting them trickle down and make things right. What is the dealer?

Side note, what is this "Turo Manager" you're talking about?
Turo is a car sharing rental app. (AirBNB for cars). My Turo Manager is my car manager

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
I'd write a check for what I was quoted, drop it on the desk grab the keys and leave

I brought my truck in to the dealer for an oil change and said my low tire pressure light came on can you see if there is a nail in it? They did the oil change and patched it and tried to charge me for for the plug. I looked at the guy and said I never authorized that and not paying for it. Boy was he PISSED, walked away came back with a new invoice and made me sign it, ripped the paper away as soon as I signed it and stormed off.

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
I went in. They told me that they did the work that was authorized by the Turo Manager. Didn't realize it wasn't his car. They won't take the tires off because they're "used" now. I told them that any wear on the tires was due to them driving it not me. It's sitting in the parking lot unattended w/ no gate or anything. Told them I'm not paying. Car is paid off so even though it's not being rented, it's not costing me any money either & I've been busy with my regular job to find a solution. I told them I never would have bought tires from them because I have a wholesale account w/ discount tire (half true), they said if I bought the same tires at a lower price point, they'd refund me the tires if they could return the new unmounted pair.
I just came back from Vegas this morning. I have a spare key. If I just came and took my car, what would be the repercussions? I'm also still pissed about my K&N filters also that they threw away. I know they're only $100 but between that and the tires it comes out to almost $1000.

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
I'd find out if the Turo guy approved the repairs. If he did, I'd expect him to kick in or be ready to defend it in small claims court.
Is there anything in the management agreement that gives him power to essentially spend your money at will?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info