Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike

After years of waiting and rumors, Mazda finally revives the rotary. The MX-30 R-EV with a Wankel engine as a range extender debuts at the Brussels Motor Show on January 13, 2023.

Don't get this confused with a revived RX-7, though. The rotary engine operates at a constant speed to serve as a range extender for recharging the battery. Mazda positions the solution as having the benefits of an electric drivetrain but with the range of a combustion powerplant.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Yeah, very odd. Maybe steady state operation will at least help with its longevity, but if it's only there to charge a battery then I don't see a point. I guess it saves a lot of space over a piston engine, but I really only see the Wankel as an enthusiast pleaser. It's seems pretty bad at anything practical.

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Yeah, very odd. Maybe steady state operation will at least help with its longevity, but if it's only there to charge a battery then I don't see a point. I guess it saves a lot of space over a piston engine, but I really only see the Wankel as an enthusiast pleaser. It's seems pretty bad at anything practical.
Great hp/L :dunno:

Reactions: sktchy
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info