Disney+ Marvel Studios' "What If" Series

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim

Peggy Carter with a shield, mmmm.

Enter the multiverse of unlimited possibilities. Marvel Studios' first animated series, What If...?, starts streaming August 11 with new episodes Wednesdays on Disney+.

Disney+ has been quietly teasing its What If…? animated series for a while now, having released a quick teaser late last year that was fairly light on the wacky potential of Marvel’s What If brand. Today, though, Marvel Studios celebrated the long-awaited announcement of the show’s premiere date (August 11!) with an extended trailer that cuts right to the chase—and by “the chase” we mean good shit like Killmonger saving Tony Stark from the attack at the beginning of Iron Man, T’Challa leading the Guardians Of The Galaxy (and wearing a much cooler coat than Star-Lords, let’s be honest), what appears to be a Hawkeye Hulk (Hulkeye?), and, best of all, the arrival of Captain Peggy Carter. The idea, like the What If comics that the series is named after, is that these are alternate versions of the stories shown in the movies, presumably with easy hooks like “What if Peggy Carter got the super-soldier serum?” or “What if Hulkeye?”

Jeffrey Wright is playing Uatu The Watcher, here giving the usual “I’m just here to see what happens, I will never, ever, ever intervene” speech that comic readers know is complete and utter bullshit. The rest of the cast is similarly impressive, with Marvel Studios calling in pretty much everyone who has ever been in one of these movies who isn’t Chris Evans, Chris Pratt, or Robert Downey, Jr.—as far as we can tell. Some of the voices are immediately recognizable (nobody does a classic “Michael Rooker voice” like Michael Rooker, and that’s very clearly Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter), but IMDB, as untrustworthy as it is, also promises Tom Hiddleston, Samuel L. Jackson, Natalie Portman, Jeremy Renner, Mark Ruffalo, Paul Rudd, Sebastian Stan, and even Chadwick Boseman. We’ve reached out to Disney for confirmation on the cast list, but if it’s really him, it would mean this will be the last chance to hear him playing T’Challa, and that this will be his final role.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
And more. Plus list of voice cast:

Andy Serkis (Klaue)
Angela Bassett (Ramonda)
Benedict Cumberbatch (Stephen Strange)
Benedict Wong (Wong)
Benicio Del Toro (The Collector)
Bradley Whitford (John Flynn)
Carrie Coon (Proxima Midnight)
Chadwick Boseman (T’Challa)
Chris Hemsworth (Thor)
Chris Sullivan (Taserface)
Clancy Brown (Surtur)
Clark Gregg (Phil Coulson)
Cobie Smulders (Maria Hill)
Danai Gurira (Okoye)
David Dastmalchian (Kurt)
Djimon Hounsou (Korath)
Dominic Cooper (Howard Stark)
Don Cheadle (James Rhodes)
Emily VanCamp (Sharon Carter)
Evangeline Lilly (Hope van Dyne)
Frank Grillo (Brock Rumlow)
Georges St-Pierre (Batroc)
Hayley Atwell (Peggy Carter)
Jaimie Alexander (Sif)
Jeff Goldblum (The Grandmaster)
Jeremy Renner (Clint Barton)
John Kani (T’Chaka)
Jon Favreau (Happy Hogan)
Josh Brolin (Thanos)
Karen Gillan (Nebula)
Kat Dennings (Darcy Lewis)
Kurt Russell (Ego)
Leslie Bibb (Christine Everhart)
Mark Ruffalo (Bruce Banner)
Michael B. Jordan (Killmonger/N’Jadaka)
Michael Douglas (Hank Pym)
Michael Rooker (Yondu)
Natalie Portman (Jane Foster)
Neal McDonough (Dum Dum Dugan)
Ophelia Lovibond (Carina)
Paul Bettany (J.A.R.V.I.S./Vision)
Paul Rudd (Scott Lang)
Rachel House (Topaz)
Rachel McAdams (Christine Palmer)
Samuel L. Jackson (Nick Fury)
Sean Gunn (Kraglin)
Sebastian Stan (Bucky Barnes)
Seth Green (Howard the Duck)
Stanley Tucci (Abraham Erskine)
Taika Waititi (Korg)
Tilda Swinton (The Ancient One)
Toby Jones (Armin Zola)
Tom Hiddleston (Loki)
Tom Vaughan-Lawlor (Ebony Maw)

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
The pacing on this was nuts; so fast. Initially, I was disappointed because it just seemed like they were duplicating The First Avenger, with Carter, but then mid-episode it got a lot more interesting and I liked where they took it. Will definitely tune in for more, but hope they slow down the pace a little and don't treat the viewers like dum-dums (yes, we know what happened in the original).

Reactions: IDAFC21

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
While episode 1 may have played it a little "safe" they definitely threw out the rulebook for ep 2 :LOL: But it was actually quite interesting. Especially that ending.

And it warranted not one but TWO vids from screencrush. But he definitely makes a lotta good observations that I didnt necessarily key into at first.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
I'm just gonna keep doing this.

Ep 5 watched. It was the Zombie episode. This was actually a really fun episode :ROFLMAO: Everything about it just worked. It was like Avengers meets Zombieland meets Walking Dead. Fun character matchups, by far the most humor of the season so far, and some actual meaningful moments as well.

Thread Info