Movie Marvel Studios’ Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i dunno about best to date. the fight scenes were good though.

i watched it last night in mexico city. so during the first 10+ minutes of it all being in chinese, and subbed in spanish, i was just thinking o lawd don't let this all be in chinese/let's get to some english soon, cuz i am gonna have a hard time figuring out wtf is going on if this keeps up...

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
any spanish i learn is purely in the context of ordering food and talking to chicks.

attempt to order pumpkin bread that ended up in me being charged for and not refunded for a pumpkin spice latte was my biggest communication fail so far. although i chat with an american chick yesterday who was trying to get a decaf and ended up with 4 shots of espresso somehow, so her spanish must really fucking blow

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
The fight scenes were incredible. Absolutely top notch. I typically hate the Chinese Kung-fu style of fighting in movies because it's so insanely hokey it ruins it (like the live action Mulan remake, or even parts of the new Mortal Kombat). But they were done so well in this. And the CGI I thought was pretty top notch. Crazy what a movie with a huge budget can do.

The story wasn't really all that complicated, and there wasn't much to it. Most of the screen time was filled by the fight scenes, which got kind of long at times.

Overall, it's nice break from the same ol same ol Marvel characters that are getting kind of stale. If you like Marvel, I recommend seeing it.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I don't know how my nephew is related to me. I asked him if he wanted to see a movie this weekend, and I mentioned Shang-Chi, and he was all Nope, do not want. I had to look at him strangely, this is the Kid who was 100% buried in Marvel movies and blew up my phone over just about all of them.

Sigh.

Oh well, I'm going to see it tomorrow. So I'll report back then.

I'm also looking forward to Eternals.

Atomicles

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
Schaumburg
I enjoyed the fighting. It kind of combined classic MCU fighting, with the close-up body control from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and the bending from Avatar the Last Airbender. Nowhere near my favorite Marvel movie, but nowhere near my least favorite either. Somewhere in the middle.

I found the fact that Tony Leung's character was unable to come to the realization that his wife wasn't behind that door, even after so many people told him, somewhat unbelievable. Did living for 1000+ years rot the logic part of his brain? I mean sure, he's been grieving, but still. I didn't buy it.

Turning the end of the movie into a Godzilla movie was an... interesting choice.

I was thinking there might be some bigger reveal or more impactful fight scene with the masked fighter who trained Shang-Chi, but his soul getting sucked out was a decently funny ending that I didn't expect.

I can't say that I understand why Awkwafina's got pulled along with Wong in the credit scene. She shot an arrow and has a couple days training. Who cares?

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
It was a decent movie. Though I struggled with the idea that his father could not be convinced that the voice was not that of his dead wife and that it was a ploy. Especially since when the barrier cracked, a bunch of evil things started flying out of it. He should have been like, "Ah, shit. There are evil dragons behind this wall!"

It kind of just ruined the whole build up of the 'bad guy'. It seemed entirely/easily preventable.

Do we still need spoiler tags for this?

Ah, looks like someone else above also agreed with my opinion about the same plot hole.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I wish this would have been a Disney+ series. I think building the character of Xu Wenwu could have been a series on it's own. The guy was in power for hundreds of years and was a conqueror. Yet in the movie, we get a 10-minute backstory.

To the above post,
I think it was more than the voices were controlling him more so than him just believing his wife was in there.

The Trevor Slattery character was laaaaaame. It was forced and just awful. His 10-minutes of his true self in Iron Man 3 was perfect to show he was a weak-minded person that was taken advantage of. OK cool. In this movie, it's just hard to watch.

I didn't like Katy and Trevor for comedic purposes. But Katy wasn't as bad as I was expecting her to be since I'm not a fan of Awkwafina.

I like the idea of the ten rings as an organization and as well as the physical rings. I like Shaun and kung-fu action. So I am excited to see him from here forward. I think he will be a big character moving forward. I just wish his father's back story was much more than it was given.

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
The dad did realize as the creature fled the gate that he had been deluded. When the creature grabs him, he looks at his son, does not attempt to escape, and then sends the rings to him. I thought the delusion was plausible. They really built up how much he loved the wife and his life with her. He was a loving dad until she died and then he had a hard heart and started up the training for the son.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Ok, I'm going to dispense with the spoiler tags since it's already been out for a couple of months.

What was his reasoning for why his wife was locked up in the mountain? Locked up by the people/town she had been protecting? If they wanted her gone, why wouldn't they just kill her? The whole thing just didn't make sense.

It just made him look really stupid that he couldn't figure out he was being tricked. This dude that has been around for a thousand years.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info