• Hi Guest, welcome to TCG 2.0. Please refer to the FAQ in User Support before you do anything else. It will make the transition MUCH easier.

IF YOU ARE SEEING AN "OOPS" ERROR PAGE, IT IS LIKELY BECAUSE YOUR BROWSER HAS NOT UPDATED YOUR CACHE. YOU CAN EITHER CLICK FORUMS AT THE TOP LEFT OR VISIT THECHICAGOGARAGE.COM AND BOOKMARK THAT. - Love, Mook

MAF

GTwolf

Reaction score
My MAF is bad, I was told to just unplug it till I get my new one because running rich is better than running lean. Just thought I'd make sure this is a good idea before I go outside and do it.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
Reaction score
yeah, if it's bad and causing the car to run lean then it would be best to unplug it.
unplugging it wont do any harm to the engine.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
this is a horid idea imo.

DanJoy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
especially modded. I'm pretty sure unplugging your maf makes the PCM rely on the VE table and unless Fastkatt also changed those for you they are most likely pretty far off.

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
Reaction score
inb4someonesays"thisiswhyVEtuneissoimportant"

lol

but yea, i mean if you HAVE to drive you, ya have too... but if not, and can get a ride or a new one asap, get that on!

i remember on my white car I unplugged it cause the AFC on there was messing up and I was trying to trouble shoot it or something, who knows it was a looooong time ago, but yea, never did a VE tune and the car had a mind of its own with the MAF unplugged

GTwolf

Reaction score
It's got a GTP VE table I believe, fastkatt would have to chime in if it's any different, but I'm pretty sure that's what it is. So youguys are saying I shouldn't even be driving it with the bad maf?

PANDA

Reaction score
If you have no other way in getting around, Id unplug it. Im sure its fine to drive around, just don't drive aggressive. The car should run using the VE table. My car drives fine with maf unplugged just rich as balls.

GTwolf

Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I heard, that it would run really rich, but running rich is better than running lean like it is now.
Man I wish I knew it was this big of a deal, I've been beating the crap out of it for like 2 weeks now.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
have you tried cleaning it? do GP MAF's actually fail? they're just wires....

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
Man I wish I knew it was this big of a deal, I've been beating the crap out of it for like 2 weeks now.
:ugh:

VE tuning is still useless.

GTwolf

Reaction score
did it fix it?
Meh, it helped, but no theres still an issue and I'm still throwing a code. I was thinking maybe front o2, but wouldn't that be throwing a code if it were bad? Or a vac leak? I'm also gotting about 12ish MPG if that helps. I have no idea where to go from here, any ideas what this could be?

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
whats the code again?

12mpg?

im betting vac leak...

GTwolf

Reaction score
whats the code again?

12mpg?

im betting vac leak...
Yeah, that thing fuckin rapes gas. It's almost undriveable.
Idr what the number was, but it said system too lean on bank one.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
u got school all day tomorrow right? i might be able to look at it thurs night if not sat morn...

GTwolf

Reaction score
u got school all day tomorrow right? i might be able to look at it thurs night if not sat morn...
I'm not going tomorrow so I'll be good all day. If not yeah thursday or saturday works.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
ill text u if i got time to look at it tomorrow--- gotta do quite a bit but might have some time.. .ill let you know.

GTwolf

Reaction score
ill text u if i got time to look at it tomorrow--- gotta do quite a bit but might have some time.. .ill let you know.
Yeah that'd be awesome. Just let me know. I'll start looking around in the morning and let you know if I see anything right away. If we find something I think I still have some extra vac line, ordered a T line from GM and they ended up sending me 3 Ts and quite a bit of line, so I've got some extra now.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
Bust out the brake cleaner and start spraying around. If you have a vacuum leak you'll find it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom