Lukes Maroon GTP

CHI2000GTP

Grand Prix Junkie
TCG Premium
Dec 1, 2017
Chicago, IL
In that photo, it was that front middle piston with low compression. Don't have an air compressor otherwise I would try that trick. All rear cylinders had good compression at 150psi. But I wanna look at them anyway. If those look good... then I don't know. How did all 6 spark plugs get so fouled? Can the symptoms I described in prior posts be blamed on a gasket failure? Would it refuse to start if it was a gasket issue? Well, it did end up starting but was super, super rough, and RPMs were wheezing like a bad vacuum leak somewhere.

CHI2000GTP

Grand Prix Junkie
TCG Premium
Dec 1, 2017
Chicago, IL
Front head with gasket.

20181118_113847.jpg

20181118_113921.jpg

20181118_113932.jpg

20181118_113950.jpg

20181118_114127.jpg

20181118_114405.jpg

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
In that photo, it was that front middle piston with low compression. Don't have an air compressor otherwise I would try that trick. All rear cylinders had good compression at 150psi. But I wanna look at them anyway. If those look good... then I don't know. How did all 6 spark plugs get so fouled? Can the symptoms I described in prior posts be blamed on a gasket failure? Would it refuse to start if it was a gasket issue? Well, it did end up starting but was super, super rough, and RPMs were wheezing like a bad vacuum leak somewhere.

I’ll have to go back and read through your post, but a cashed out motor will normally run unless it chucks a rod, I’ve melted the rings to the piston before and drove it to my buddies to swap the motor, sounds like you had multiple issues, lots of things will cause fouled out plugs a big one on the 3800’s is valve guide seals, usually if you melt a cylinder down or take out a chunk of piston the plug is gone when you check it like just the threads left

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
You could rotate each piston to TDC and see if they're all at the same height. I'd bet you don't have any precision measuring instruments at your house, but you can use a flat edge and ruler. I've never heard of stock L67 rods bending though, so I very much doubt that's your problem.

CHI2000GTP

Grand Prix Junkie
TCG Premium
Dec 1, 2017
Chicago, IL
I will do the liquid test. Hopefully tonight. We are hosting Thanksgiving this year, so this week is kind of a bust. I got started on the rear exhaust mani last night but had to quit. I wanna see those rear pistons.

My plan is still to take out the engine. I wanna drop it out the bottom, subframe and all. Removing the entire top end should make that easier, and lighter, and don't have lift the car as high, so safer.

No one is mentioning head gasket as possible source of leakage. Is head gasket out as a possibility?

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
For it to be the head gasket you would see either a chunk missing or bad erosion in the area of the leak, head gaskets are not common at your power level, seems head gaskets go under max effort blower builds running too much timing, I’ve blown a couple 3800’s up but never taken out a head gasket

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Yeah, I just don't see how a stock GTP can blow a head gasket out of nowhere after 250k miles. That cylinder could have had low compression for a long time, some people have chipped pistons and didn't even know it for a while. On second thought about filling the ports with water, if you have some olive oil or something use that, that way the heads won't get rusty.

Why are you taking out the motor though? You should leave that thing alone, figure out if that intake valve is leaking or not, if it is, lap that bitch, put it back in with some fresh valve seals and send it. Leave that rear head alone, it's factory TQ'd and is as perfect as it'll ever be right now.

CHI2000GTP

Grand Prix Junkie
TCG Premium
Dec 1, 2017
Chicago, IL
I want to re-gasket the entire engine. Oil pan is leaking bad, probably the rear seal too. This front head will be getting a new gasket, it would be nice to have new gaskets on both heads. Also at issue is the trans. I could feel the Torque Converter banging through the gas pedal when under moderate acceleration. Trans is on it's way out... This is a good time to address these issues. I get a chance to really confirm that the engine is healthy, I get to clean the engine bay a little and take a good fucking look at that pesky power steering pump that looks to be leaking again.

ithurtz

Jan 19, 2015
Antioch
I dont see how a stuck valve can cause all plugs to go dead black in 6k miles and shoot a cloud out the ass like no other.

See now me, id still junk that motor and replace it with another low comp one. Its old tired and something happened and I just dont like gambling but thats me. Shit I almost bought another l67 so I could dismantle it, clean it up and everything for the cammed turbo and just swap motors, but then I got lazy. ;)

CHI2000GTP

Grand Prix Junkie
TCG Premium
Dec 1, 2017
Chicago, IL
See now me, id still junk that motor and replace it with another low comp one. Its old tired and something happened and I just dont like gambling but thats me.

The motor is fine.

Since it failed the compression test, and ran like death, I think it was worth taking everything apart and getting a good look at it.

Once the engine is out, can't I take out the stock cam and check lobes real good? Can't I also peer inside the engine and take a look at the rods to check for damage? I will be able to see the rods once the oil pan is off.

With the engine out I can check everything thoroughly, and then put it back together. It's easy cuz I know the car and every bolt like the back of my hand. If anything, it's gonna make me feel more confident about the engine. The heads look good, the valley is shiny metal, the springs and rockers are shiny. There is very little carbon buildup as far as I can tell... in comparison to other pics I've seen anyway. This engine has a lot of life in it, I think. Doing this isn't really much of a chore. It's kinda fun and a rite of passage for any GP enthusiast. If the engine is somehow OK, then I can do some maintenance. I can get the valves lapped, new seals, re-gasket everything, clean it. Looking forward to it.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Since it failed the compression test, and ran like death, I think it was worth taking everything apart and getting a good look at it.

Once the engine is out, can't I take out the stock cam and check lobes real good? Can't I also peer inside the engine and take a look at the rods to check for damage? I will be able to see the rods once the oil pan is off.

With the engine out I can check everything thoroughly, and then put it back together. It's easy cuz I know the car and every bolt like the back of my hand. If anything, it's gonna make me feel more confident about the engine. The heads look good, the valley is shiny metal, the springs and rockers are shiny. There is very little carbon buildup as far as I can tell... in comparison to other pics I've seen anyway. This engine has a lot of life in it, I think. Doing this isn't really much of a chore. It's kinda fun and a rite of passage for any GP enthusiast. If the engine is somehow OK, then I can do some maintenance. I can get the valves lapped, new seals, re-gasket everything, clean it. Looking forward to it.

on the other hand when you go to start it you will be wondering if you forgot to lock tight one of the 500 bolts you touched or forgot to tighten, rolled a gasket etc. lol

CHI2000GTP

Grand Prix Junkie
TCG Premium
Dec 1, 2017
Chicago, IL
on the other hand when you go to start it you will be wondering if you forgot to lock tight one of the 500 bolts you touched or forgot to tighten, rolled a gasket etc. lol

Yep. True. Every strange noise or rattle or anything is gonna stress me out and make me think...

But, whatevs. Everything should go OK. I got the time to do it right.

CHI2000GTP

Grand Prix Junkie
TCG Premium
Dec 1, 2017
Chicago, IL
The Maroon GTP still sits in my driveway. DEAD.

It pains me to think how much time, cash, and effort I devoted to this car.... I mean, the car was coated in sound deadening material! For Gods Sake. Rockers were welded. Strut towers too! Jeeeeze

Ebay has plenty of low mileage L26's for $250-$300. Install some headers, cam, top swap with a stock 3.8 pulley, and it will be back to DD duties. It's gonna be back on the road! No doubt about it.

No much of an update...

Really, I just wanted this thread, and my new thread, side-by-side. LOL!

Thread Info