🔧 BUILD Luke's Blue Turbo Prix

CHI2000GTP

Grand Prix Junkie
TCG Premium
Dec 1, 2017
Chicago, IL
Picked up this Turbo Prix back on October 13th, 2018. Got it from a member on here, Corey, aka (itHurtz). The car is fun as fukk and fast as hell. It's hands down, the fastest car I've ever been in. I wasn't planning on buying a second Grand Prix. But the maroon GTP I spent 2 years rebuilding gave up the ghost at 253,000 miles. So, the Turbo Prix became mine. Passed on from one Grand Prix Junkie to another. With the weather turning nice I'm going to start working on this thing. I wanted to get a thread going to document everything. The car has a list of small things that need attention. It came with new rear struts that need installing, and red powder coated rear calipers that need to go in. Those 2 things will be first. Some pics below. List of mods includes the following:

ENGINE
L67
ARP head studs
Turbo = Cartuning PT61 Intercooled
60# injectors
M90 block off
Stattama Stage 2 Turbo Cam
Ported heads
130lb PAC springs,
New valve seals
Rollmaster double roller chain
Bumped oil pressure
AFC

TRANSMISSION
300m
7/8 chain with reluctor wheel welded on
Billet 3rd piston
Modified clutch stacks (for QUICK shifts)
Trans-go Shift Kit
Bonded Separator Plate
Torlon Balls

ASTHETICS
17" bullitt wheels
06+ impala front brake upgrade
Drilled/Slotted rotors
Gen 2 spoiler
Retro headlights, 4300k
LED Tails
Sun Roof
3 Gauge Pillar with Wideband, Aeroforce, and Boost
Oil Pressure gauge
Oil Temperature gauge
Pioneer headunit
Infinity front speakers
3" catback, 36"magnaflow into twin pypes race pro mufflers (its deep and quiet) AFE stainless 4.5" tips
GMPP sways
Front strut brace
Rebuilt rocker panels 2013
Welded and fixed rear strut towers
Coil pack relocate
Alternator relocate
New radiator, fans, overflow in 2016 just because
Door hinges rebuilt 5 years ago
Hood and trunk got new struts 2 years ago

20181108_181252.jpg

20181108_181610.jpg

20181014_163018.jpg

20181014_032126.jpg

20181015_071550.jpg

CHI2000GTP

Grand Prix Junkie
TCG Premium
Dec 1, 2017
Chicago, IL
I swear you already made a thread here on this, man I feel like I am 80 and losing my mind!

you forgot about the 16,000 psi splitting the intercooler pic:s00ls:

Haha. You're not going insane. I posted all of those photos on here already in the other thread. LOL. And my threads on GPF...

Yes... The 16,000 psi running through the Turbo caused the cold side chimney to split from the inter-cooler. Might have been all that boost, might have been a curb or steep driveway..., we will never know! I took the inter-cooler off and it's with the welder now getting fixed. Also, using cardboard, I fabbed up some new mounting tabs I want welded on. Should be ready next week.

20190313_203945.jpg

20190313_204013.jpg

20190313_200846.jpg

01.jpg

pizza-box-mockup.jpg

CHI2000GTP

Grand Prix Junkie
TCG Premium
Dec 1, 2017
Chicago, IL
Work gettin done over here! Over the last few days I got to work on installing the MOOG strut assemblies, and rear calipers. As it turns out, the powdered calipers were for a '05+ Jeep, not a Grand Prix. This messed things up and slowed me down. I was set on replacing them so I drove to Phoenix Caliper company, traded in the powder coated rears, and GP cores, plus some cash for new rear calipers, clips, and ceramic pads. Everything went smooth until I got to the drivers side, top splined bolt. WOULD NOT COME OUT. Pounded it. Torched it. Tried pushing it out with a C-clamp. C-clamp snapped. 24hrs. later the car gods took pity on me and let the bolt loose. Fuck. Insane amount of energy went into getting that 1 bolt out. Picked up the intercooler too. Mounts looks beefy. Test fitted new couplers. Also new clamps. Pics below.

REAR BRAKES
Sanded rear hats
Painted with POR-15
Remaned Calipers from Phoenix
Painted with POR-15

REAR STRUTS
Replaced with new MOOGs

INTERCOOLER
2" Exit Pipe welded in
Chimney that leads to pipe widened .75"
Chimney also sealed with new welds
Top right corner of IC also sealed with new welds
5 New Mounting Tabs
New couplers (4-ply ; 4inch)
New clamps

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

CHI2000GTP

Grand Prix Junkie
TCG Premium
Dec 1, 2017
Chicago, IL
Intercooler is mounted. Fitment was great. Everything aligned just right. Used the old couplers to create rubber spacers. It's mounted so sturdy that it's overkill really. Went from 4 screws, to 9. Got all the clamps on. That bundle of wires is the fog lights wiring. Wires need to be cleaned up but fog lights work now. Except I noticed they were mounted upside down, so that needs a fix. Gave her a double oil change. One the previous weekend, and another just yesterday. The pipe going up from the air filter needs a coupler. The angle is retarded though. I started messing around with the sending unit for the oil temp and pressure because the readings are not accurate. Also got a nasty power steering mess going on. Pump is leaking like a mofo. And water pump is leaking. I ordered a new Delco water pump, and the power steering is gonna come off the red car. It's pretty new. Photos below:

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

CHI2000GTP

Grand Prix Junkie
TCG Premium
Dec 1, 2017
Chicago, IL
Some parts came in the other day so I got to work. I ordered a new water pump, new IAC sensor, new clamps, a 4" blue coupler, and a black 135* coupler. Power steering pump got replaced in the Turbo prix. Took out the pump from the GTP, pulley and all, and installed that. The pump that came out of the Turbo Prix was toast and leaking fluid everywhere. While the Pump was out I cleaned up that armpit as best I could. I was set on replacing the water pump, but after inspecting everything, the pump looked dry, and weeper hole was dry, so I decided to leave it. I attribute all the wetness to the power steering fluid flinging everywhere. I will keep an eye on the water pump though and make sure everything dries up nicely. The oil pressure and oil temp sending unit got cleaned up. The 135* degree coupler worked out great! That coupler is massive. It allowed me to get rid of an extra union right at the air filter. Shitty photos below:

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

CHI2000GTP

Grand Prix Junkie
TCG Premium
Dec 1, 2017
Chicago, IL
Changed the trans mount on Saturday. Old was shot to shyt. It was even missing a bolt. Haha. I lifted the engine by the pans. When checking clearances before lifting, noticed the turbo plumbing got in the way so Master Cylinder came off, and the STB.

Next on the list is the engine mount which looks to have busted open. Both front LCA's are in dire need of replacement. One of them is factory still. That's some quality right there. A 20year old ball-joint!! LOL. I'm just asking for trouble driving around like that. Also noticed the passenger half-shaft is busted and flinging grease everywhere :\

I went with a hydraulic mount. Bought a Pioneer brand mount. An original AcDelco mount is like $90! Next most expensive is $25. Why is AcDelco so much more? That's more than just an upcharge for the brand name. Maybe $40, I would understand but $90? What's it made of? LOL

20190511_112445.jpg

01.jpg

20190511_124235.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

ithurtz

Jan 19, 2015
Antioch
Changed the trans mount on Saturday. Old was shot to shyt. It was even missing a bolt. Haha. I lifted the engine by the pans. When checking clearances before lifting, noticed the turbo plumbing got in the way so Master Cylinder came off, and the STB.

Next on the list is the engine mount which looks to have busted open. Both front LCA's are in dire need of replacement. One of them is factory still. That's some quality right there. A 20year old ball-joint!! LOL. I'm just asking for trouble driving around like that. Also noticed the passenger half-shaft is busted and flinging grease everywhere :\

Og diy poly mount still looks great! Im not suprised by a bolt missing, the driver side mount was notorious for me to not stay tight.

The engine mount I replaced that when I did the cam, pos hydro broke what a pos. Dont even think it was 2 years old.

Passenger half shaft I broke what almost 10 years ago lol, I guess it lasted enough time.

The Lca's, I bet the factory one weighs more than the driver dorman. Dorman shit finish and thinner metal, looked like shit after 2 years. So sad.

Shes giving ya that run around though, each year I just replaced things as I saw fit so it was 100% reliable never ever had trouble. Seems your comming up back around LOL

CHI2000GTP

Grand Prix Junkie
TCG Premium
Dec 1, 2017
Chicago, IL
She's pretty reliable just needs some stuff re-freshed. It' s a Turbo Prix. Maintenance Required!! Haha

New mount went in surprisingly well. Bracket slipped onto the new studs without a fight. Those after-market engine mounts are complete garbage. Not surprised this one is busted. The maroon GTP got a new one, barely drove it, it's already busted I noticed. Think I'm gonna spend the coin and get an AcDelco mount when I replace this one for the Turbo Prix. The half-shaft is making clicking noises that are getting louder now. So that will get replaced. Looking at AcDelco LCA's. The MOOG ones are too expensive. Despite my want for the upgraded Problem-Solver bushings, many other things will need replacement soon, I'm sure, so need to watch my spending.

CHI2000GTP

Grand Prix Junkie
TCG Premium
Dec 1, 2017
Chicago, IL
Working on getting the ignition switch out. Everything was going great until I needed a Torx socket! Mother fuckers, I swear. Always making shit difficult. First time ever EVER needing a torx socket. Anyway, no other tools I have would work, so I ordered a set with case off Amazon for $17. Also, that connector in the 2nd photo, what a bitch that thing was to separate. Almost went ape on it, then remembered it's the "IGNITION"!!, Be Careful, so I played nice... it ended up coming apart just fine.

Instead of stumbling through the PITA process of diagnosing the voltage drop problem (different thread: https://www.thechicagogarage.com/fo...-lights-dim-when-coming-stop.html#post3907386 ), I figure I'll make some educated guesses and just throw some parts at it :) :\ I skipped swapping the alternator and went straight for the ignition switch. This ignition switch wasn't cheap but the symptoms point to that being the problem. There is the voltage dropping, there was the security re-learn I had to do recently, the DIC goes out intermittently, the Aeroforce connected to OBD port goes out intermittently, and most recently the HUD has been flashing some weird MPH numbers onto the windshield.

I should note that the voltage dropping problem had gotten worse recently, and I decided to curb the car until I can get it figured out. I'm afraid that the erratic electricity flowing through the wires will start frying sensors, connections, etc... AND then I'm really fukked.

20190601_201641.jpg

20190601_201552.jpg

CHI2000GTP

Grand Prix Junkie
TCG Premium
Dec 1, 2017
Chicago, IL
Time for an update.

The new ignition switch helped with jack shit! And the electrical problem has gotten worse. Went to start the car June 16th to drive out to the June meet at Taps and Tenders, and bitch wouldn't start. It's got some major electrical gremlin in it. Had it since day 1 really.

But NOW it will not start no matter what. I have been in Europe and just getting back now so didn't mess with it too much. It has no codes, no nothing. Just cranks, and cranks and sputters for 1sec. and nothing. Dies. Fuel pump primes. No security light, etc, etc. Now, I have 2 dead GP's in my drive way. Sucks. Before I left I replaced the crank sensor. Didn't help with nothing.

I'm thinking to put engine/Trans in maroon GTP, and scrap the shell of blue car. The body and rust situation is much worse on blue car, so it would be the one to go. Plus I need 4 doors. And I need A/C.

Only have 1 photo of the sensor removal for some reason, although I know I took more....

20190623_231957.jpg

Thread Info