🔧 BUILD Luke's Blue Turbo Prix

CHI2000GTP

Grand Prix Junkie
TCG Premium
Dec 1, 2017
Chicago, IL
Truth. Rockers are much better on the blue car. But floor pans and subframe are better on red car... whatever. They're both rusty as fuck. It's about even. But something is up with old girl. She cranks solid. Just doesn't turn over. I need to check pressure at the rail, despite being able to hear the fuel pump priming. Also need to unplug MAP and see what happens.

CHI2000GTP

Grand Prix Junkie
TCG Premium
Dec 1, 2017
Chicago, IL
Well, it started. Kinda.

I was hoping it was the ICM. Did some diagnosing last night with ithurtz on the phone. ICM swap didn't help this time. We decided to spray some starter fluid. I took the MAF off completely and had my son spray starter fluid in there, into the TB, while I cranked. It started! And stayed running longer than any other time.

Looks like a fuel pump swap is next. Good thing I got all these spare parts! Pump from red car going in this weekend.

Interesting thing is, the pump primes, and the valve at the rail sprays strong after cranking... not sure on actual PSI number, but strong. Despite that, I clearly have a fueling issue.

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Well, it started. Kinda.

I was hoping it was the ICM. Did some diagnosing last night with ithurtz on the phone. ICM swap didn't help this time. We decided to spray some starter fluid. I took the MAF off completely and had my son spray starter fluid in there, into the TB, while I cranked. It started! And stayed running longer than any other time.

Looks like a fuel pump swap is next. Good thing I got all these spare parts! Pump from red car going in this weekend.

Interesting thing is, the pump primes, and the valve at the rail sprays strong after cranking... not sure on actual PSI number, but strong. Despite that, I clearly have a fueling issue.

??

Fuel Pump Resistor Bypass '97-'00 GTP - Car Forums and Automotive Chat

CHI2000GTP

Grand Prix Junkie
TCG Premium
Dec 1, 2017
Chicago, IL
I will definitely be buying that and checking the pressure.

I've heard of that hack and it was on my list of things to try. But I was told by the previous owner (ithurtz) that in this case, the pump has no resistor, and is always in high mode.

Fuel filter was replaced 4 years ago. Could be, but not likely.

Previous owner also wired up the Caspers hotwire kit for the fuel pump but was NOT able to plug it up because connector on the aftermarket Airtex pump was wrong. It should be square and the Airtex is flat. The re-wire kit plugs-n-plays into the OEM pump no problem. So if I swap the pumps I can make use of the hotwire kit cuz pump from red car is OEM.

ithurtz

Jan 19, 2015
Antioch
Yup resistor was gone long ago. Only suggest the fuel pump as it is a decade old airtex and its been heard of to have prime but to stop working afterwards.

The fact that it started with spray is fuel, and I dont think the car can shut its injectors off.....? Unless something is funky it points to the pump. I replaced the fuel filter when the lines were switched to stainless, old filter flowed great.

Seriously if this dont fix some shit, I dont know.

CHI2000GTP

Grand Prix Junkie
TCG Premium
Dec 1, 2017
Chicago, IL
Got her running. It was the fuel pump.

Swapped in pump from red car and she fired right up!

Now a midnight wash... All spiders be gone!

20190723_000937.jpg

CHI2000GTP

Grand Prix Junkie
TCG Premium
Dec 1, 2017
Chicago, IL
Put about 125 miles on her since Monday, and she's running good. That pump was faulty. Remember how I was complaining about how the Aeroforce and DIC would reset/turn off on their own? That would happen all the time, like 20 times in a 15min car ride. But now, with that bad fuel pump gone, both DIC and Aero have been working flawlessly! Weird how it all might be somehow connected. Another plus is that the RPM's don't surge and fall when starting it up. They would do that and then stabilize. Now it starts up fast as fuck, and pegs at 900 RPM's immediately.

AND, most importantly, it does not want to stall when coming to a stop. That electrical gremlin that I feared, turned out to be the fuel pump. I wonder if that's also the reason for the problems with retrofit HIDs. I'm eager to get those back in. It's INCREDIBLE how shitty the headlights are on Grand Prix's. Needs HIDs back, ASAP.

CHI2000GTP

Grand Prix Junkie
TCG Premium
Dec 1, 2017
Chicago, IL
Fuel pump re-wire went in yesterday. Car already had the Caspers in place, but not wired up becuase it requires an all stock harness to work. The harness the car has now, like most, was hacked for an aftermarket fuel pump. I went ahead and spent the coin on a RaceTronix rewire kit and installed that. Hardest part was un-clipping the wire connectors with the Exacto. Routing it under the car took some time as well. I ended up tucking the wire/loom into the plastic ground effects along the passenger side, and using zip ties. Worked out great.

Only took a few photos:

20190811_113426.jpg

20190811_121010.jpg

20190811_120940.jpg

20190811_142144.jpg

CHI2000GTP

Grand Prix Junkie
TCG Premium
Dec 1, 2017
Chicago, IL
About 1.5 years ago I bought this Cowl Hood for the Grand Prix from a member on a different forum. He refused to ship it from Boston, so there it sat collecting dust. I always planned a road-trip to the East Coast to get it. I can drive for dayyys, love road-trips, so the distance never bothered me.

Welp, the guy informed me that he's selling the house and needs me to grab this hood. We would swap/install the cowl hood in the driveway, meaning old hood gets left behind. Will this old 3800 Turbo beast make it the 2,000+ miles, road-trip?! OHH BOYY. It's gonna be a palm sweater!

Always wanted a cowl hood for the GP. Some of them are too much though. This one is good. Simple, elegant, and sharp looking. Pics below. Mannn, what a FUN ride this could be.

03.jpg

04.jpg

01.jpg

02.jpg

CHI2000GTP

Grand Prix Junkie
TCG Premium
Dec 1, 2017
Chicago, IL
Getting around to replacing the LCA's/Ball joints. Both CV's need replacing as well. So all that is coming out! So much work.

Didn't want to mess with the tie-rods so left them attached to knuckle. Wheel wells look so empty...

00.jpg

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

The front vertical bolts were frozen in the metal sleeves in the bushings. Frozen on both sides! Tried to push them out with the "puller". Ended up cutting them off. Ordered new bolts from dealer.

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

PS pumps. Old and New. Tired of these shitty pump. Bought a AcDelco official pump. Maybe finally I will have a leak free Grand Prix. Please God!

09.jpg

10.jpg

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
The holes for those vertical bolts got egged out on mine...I tack welded them in place to keep them from moving. Having spherical bearings in the LCA’s for many years and hard launches took a toll. I just cut the welds when I needed them out. Welded my sway bar several times too..lol

CHI2000GTP

Grand Prix Junkie
TCG Premium
Dec 1, 2017
Chicago, IL
Boston trip didn't happen :\ I want that cowl hood! Instead, I took my sweet ass time putting in fresh LCAs, CVs, and new Power-Steering Pump. Took extra time to wipe everything down, lubed caliper guide pins, greased all bushings. Rides so smooth now. The front end feels so much stronger now. I feel more confident in the car now. It's great!

Pile of crap:

20190823_090310.jpg

Fresh Parts. AcDelco LCAs and NAPA half-shafts.

20190823_124200.jpg

20190823_130719.jpg

20190823_163509.jpg

Bought a grease gun. Cheap gun, expensive grease. Gun was only $16 on Amazon! And it's solid/heavy. Handles are solid and rivetes aren't loose.

20190823_113722.jpg

CHI2000GTP

Grand Prix Junkie
TCG Premium
Dec 1, 2017
Chicago, IL
Car had been sidelined for about a month now due to a bad rack & pinion. I took out the new rack that was in the maroon GTP, then took rack out from this Turbo, then installed new rack. Got an alignment on all four corners as well. Took the Cooper Cobras off the maroon GTP as well. They are wider (235/16 vs. 225/16) and newer than what the Turbo had, so alignment shop did the tire/rim switch, mounting and balancing etc.. Tread looks good! Car is back on the road. Driving so freaking good now!

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

CHI2000GTP

Grand Prix Junkie
TCG Premium
Dec 1, 2017
Chicago, IL
....Driving so freaking good now!...

Welp... that didn't last long. Enjoyed the car for 5 days and back to having problems. I drove it last night, did some small pulls, made some turbo noises, and all the sudden car starts running like shit! I can hear the exhaust isn't right, running rough, wanting to die at red light, then surging, then wanting to die, then surging. When letting foot off gas pedal the engine stays at 1200-1500 RPM's, instead of settling to 900. GOD DAMN IT. Can't catch a break with this fucking thing.

I'm thinking I have a huge vac leak somewhere. Most likely the brake booster, it's been suspect for a while now. That would explain the surging and RPM's not dropping.

Thread Info