LTO tape drive(s) or library

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
In what will likely be the weirdest ass post to TCG's WTB ever I'm looking for an LTO Tape Silo. Preferably LTO3+ but if you've got something else hit me up. Also looking for media. Kind of a long shot but you never know when someone has some weird junk laying around their DC they just want gone.

OP
Mr_Roboto

Mr_Roboto

Donating Member
Reaction score
Depends on what you're looking for. I'm looking at a couple of LTO3 or LTO4 libraries for say 300ish or less. I'm also somewhat willing to deal with U320 at this point which while ancient would get the job done. May just end up with say an LTO5 drive instead and manually swapping tapes.

PANDA

Reaction score
Just "recycled" some at work. big 96 Tape HPE library's. LT06

PANDA

Reaction score
it was time for them to be retired. went with LT08 library

OP
Mr_Roboto

Mr_Roboto

Donating Member
Reaction score
A few reasons. The first is my backup hdds didn't hold out for shit. Ended up having to piece shit together to recover it from the last time my drives dickered themselves. The second is I want to improve my backup game which means actual daily/weekly/monthly stuff. Third I want it for my homelab I already have a VTL I built. Last I want something where if I fry my homelab stuff I'm not starting 100% from scratch. I've done it a few times and it blows.

tinfoilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
Donating Member
Reaction score
A few reasons. The first is my backup hdds didn't hold out for shit. The second is I want to improve my backup game which means actual daily/weekly/monthly stuff. Third I want it for my homelab I already have a VTL I built. Last I want something where if I fry my homelab stuff I'm not starting 100% from scratch. I've done it a few times and it blows.
i use backblaze B2 cloud. all files encrypted pre-upload. beats tape :rofl: and its stupid cheap since it is billed on usage. I paid $1.52 last month. I store 500GB right now, mainly just stuff I dont want to lose (photos, docs, etc)

I also keep a few local/offline copies of course as well. 3-2-1

OP
Mr_Roboto

Mr_Roboto

Donating Member
Reaction score
I havent used tapes for backups in 20 years. Everything is disk to disk. Buy a NAS!!
My stack is looking slightly more hyperconverged right now although I may break primary storage out to a separate machine to add features like thin provisioning and deduplication. It possibly depends if I can get my Nexus 5548 to work with FC or not. End goal is something that runs KVM and Docker perhaps Kubernetes Management. The enclosure is plubmed into the 4U server via FC. The best junk money can cobble together. :rofl:

IMG_20200223_124611795.jpg

OP
Mr_Roboto

Mr_Roboto

Donating Member
Reaction score
IMG_20200318_152826131.jpg

Reeking of the 90s baby. If you don't believe me look at the monitors. If you guys have anything still interested.

OP
Mr_Roboto

Mr_Roboto

Donating Member
Reaction score
I have a case of dot matrix paper in the closet still, kept it for the kid to draw on. I'd probably use it if I didn't get a laser printer. I would rather have a dot matrix than an inkjet any day. The ribbons don't dry the fuck up like the HP cartridges I've had do.

Hooked this thing up downstairs doing some tape out. Gonna end up having to figure out what the hell is going on I think that my read speeds seem really low tbh.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom