• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Lsx vs 351w

Dxtryng

Mar 17, 2012
elgin,IL
My dad had a 92 mustang gt when I was a kid I loved the car thought it was so cool going for rides or taking it to the drag strip w him... I've always wanted to get one and build it from the ground up, with that being said I've started accumulating parts to start building a mustang... I've been reading forms and other information and write ups about different swaps that have been done and the results that some people have gotten... I'm down to having two routes that I'm interested in going... both would be doing a single turbo set up mostly going to be a street car but on occasion I plan on taking the car up to the drag strip and messing around sooo the question I have is what would be my best bet would it be better to do a 351w or would it be a better starting point to do a 5.3 gm truck motor? Pros cons ?

ajdereicup

Measly little 4.6 2v in a boat
Oct 30, 2012
Lombard
I'd suggest making a pro and con list on each.

On one hand you'll need to get an LS swap kit (I think they have them for fox bodys not sure?). You'd need some different kinda computer system to control the chebby engine (if its not going to be carb). But Those blocks can take quite a bit of abuse I've heard and make a nice amount of power with just a few changes.

The 351w may be easier seeing as swapping it in may be easier/cheaper to start off with and if its going to use a computer you may be able to use the computer still. 351w's aren't too bad price wise either but I'm not sure how much power you can pull outta a stock block. Another bonus is that some 302 parts fit on the 351ws and there's plenty of parts off of 302s used online for cheap (just be careful buying used)

What is your goal powerwise? Are you planning on rebuilding the whole engine? To start off simple make 2 lists. One for each engine. Then write down the cost of everything for each engine. What it'd take to drop it in, what it'd take to make it have about the amount of power your looking for etc

Pillion88

Regular
Nov 5, 2010
Naperville
Real Name
Justin Pillion
The LS is the best platform I have ever worked on. However parts are more expensive than a 351. The LS K member to do the swap is 300 brand new anywhere on the internet and can be found used for much less. So dont let that scare you away from an LS build. I daily my GTO and have an LS 240sx parked in the garage and love both cars to death but Ford did it right when they made the Fox body. I will have an LS powered Fox some day lol.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info