• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical LSA Blower or Turbo?

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
317s + 6.0 might be kind of mild on compression, 9.4:1 or something? If you are stock rotating assembly I would not do fancy heads because if the stock rotator breaks the heads might get damaged too.

I'm still thinking LSA, ZR1 blower, something like that, pin the crank, pulley it to make some power. Are you stock computer? What fuel do you plan to run?

Custom turbo systems are not that easy. I think if I had come across a COPO supercharger in the past I would have gone that route.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
317s + 6.0 might be kind of mild on compression, 9.4:1 or something? If you are stock rotating assembly I would not do fancy heads because if the stock rotator breaks the heads might get damaged too.

I'm still thinking LSA, ZR1 blower, something like that, pin the crank, pulley it to make some power. Are you stock computer? What fuel do you plan to run?

Custom turbo systems are not that easy. I think if I had come across a COPO supercharger in the past I would have gone that route.
Holley Terminator for computer, more than likely will run flex if its possible, if not I'll run straight corn.

Reactions: sktchy

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
With decent overseas made turbo exhaust manifolds/headers, the compact size of the LS motor, the large engine bay, and such lend me to believe a customer turbo kit wouldn't be that bad. You can get reliable turbos for cheap and knock-off intercoolers that are inexpensive and work well. The one thing Jon01 touched on it heat management. Investing in ceramic coatings, DEI wrap, and heat shields can make a huge difference in the heat underhood. As well as the efficiency of the turbo system by keeping that energy (heat) in the tubing & turbine housing. On my Capri, I had the tubing coated and wrapped it in DEI heat wrap. I could touch the downpipe off the turbo after it was running for 5 minutes. Ya, it was hot to the touch, but you couldn't do that with bare exhaust tubing after a set of headers.

I know you are aware of how heat soak can affect the performance of the LSA. I think managing heat in a turbo setup is typically easier and cheaper than say a Killer Chiller or large water tank setup on an LSA setup. Although that water tank filled with ice is going to work much better than the air to air intercooler on a simple turbo setup.

Planning stages of either setup can save you a lof time, money, and aggravation. I'm excited to see how it turns out with either combo. It will be one sick ride when done.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Ya, just be honest with the power you want and the expectations of the build. There is no "one size fits all" turbo. Many of those cheap turbos seem to have overly large or small turbine sides. But you can easily get a $1200(ish) turbo with specs that will work in the design window you want. I love the Borg-Warner turbos. They have some great options and reasonable pricing for custom specs. But you have lots of options out there for turbos. Heck, even some of the overseas turbos have worked well in budget builds and seem to last. Who knew?! haha

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
True, lots of inexpensive turbos out there. True an LSA will heat soak, though a few Caddy 'V friends ran stuff like the interchiller, which I assume is some sort of improved a/w kit.

If I were you I'd for sure da flex fuel sensor. Yesterday my pump of choice was out of E85 eek, but I went to the one I had heard about another mile and a half away and they had some. I'll prob plumb in the flex sensor over the winter.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
A tried and true Borg Warner S480 would work well on that setup. There are a lot of options for turbo manifolds too. The Hooker cast iron turbo manifolds are really nice. With a nice turbo setup, you won't have to worry about belt slip issues. I've had multiple friends struggle with shredding belts when they pulley down a blower setup to make big power.

Reactions: sktchy
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info