• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical LSA Blower or Turbo?

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Started a new thread as I dont want this to get lost in my build thread. I'm 100% going to boost my 71 but going back and forth on Turbo or a LSA blower.
Every boosted car I have owned has had a SC and I love the instant boost of a SC. I know turbo is more efficient and probably the better application for racing.
But I dont plan on doing any serious grudge racing or anything. Occasional trips to the track, but mostly just to have fun from stop light to stop light.
So what does TCG have to say on turbo vs LSA.

With that said, I found this. Guy wants $7k, no fucking way I'm paying that but thinking of offering him $5500 and willing to pay $6k.
Says the set up only has 500 miles, not sure how to verify that.

Jokerz ported blower
ZL1 Lid with -10an fittings
reinforced brick
metco balancer
metco idler
8 rib set up
nick williams tb
motion throttle bracket
custom intake tube solid isolator
Zl1 water pump
flex fuel kit and plumbing
All the LS3 accessories on the long block

I would need injectors, heat exchanger and hoses if I bought that set up.

Edit: That kit just sold today for $6200, he replied to my Daughter and I told her to ask how much he let it go for.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Started a new thread as I dont want this to get lost in my build thread. I'm 100% going to boost my 71 but going back and forth on Turbo or a LSA blower.
Every boosted car I have owned has had a SC and I love the instant boost of a SC. I know turbo is more efficient and probably the better application for racing.
But I dont plan on doing any serious grudge racing or anything. Occasional trips to the track, but mostly just to have fun from stop light to stop light.
So what does TCG have to say on turbo vs LSA.

With that said, I found this. Guy wants $7k, no fucking way I'm paying that but thinking of offering him $5500 and willing to pay $6k.
Says the set up only has 500 miles, not sure how to verify that.

Jokerz ported blower
ZL1 Lid with -10an fittings
reinforced brick
metco balancer
metco idler
8 rib set up
nick williams tb
motion throttle bracket
custom intake tube solid isolator
Zl1 water pump
flex fuel kit and plumbing
All the LS3 accessories on the long block

I would need injectors, heat exchanger and hoses if I bought that set up.

Edit: That kit just sold today for $6200, he replied to my Daughter and I told her to ask how much he let it go for.

I must have seen the same kit for sale and someone mentioned it being a “great deal”

Reactions: Shawn1112

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
6200 for something you have to piece a bunch of parts together still? I may be the boomer old guy remembering when LSA blowers were a nickel but fuck that shit. Hooker sells their turbo headers with a cross over for 950 bucks, a B-car's under hood is roomy AF esp in that era and you could throw whatever awesome T4 frame you want on that puppy and go. Yeah you'd have to get stuff fabbed but so goes it. I bet you'd be in 4-5K and have all new parts.

If you have LTs already for the LS or you're more compelled by a blower you're already 3/4 way to a Camaro kit tbh. I think I'd call Edelbrock or Whipple up and spend a few dollars extra.

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
LSA would be cheaper and instant fun. I personally enjoy the way turbo cars drive and the whole “ Jekyll and Hyde“ temperament they have.
I’d assume you’ve been in a turbo car so you know what I mean? I also think turbo kits look sexy especially on older stuff because it’s just not a thing usually.
I don’t think you could go wrong with either option though. Just pick what you prefer as a driving style.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
A set of properly sized twins can make insane power quickly. A buddy has a 396" sbf that makes like 1,200 ft/lbs at like 2800 rpm. Detuned. lol Twin 76mm turbos I believe.

Turbos are great as you can change the power curve very easily. Push some buttons on the boost controller, or flip a switch to the Holley EFI, and you can go from mild to wild. It is typically easier on the rods as you can bring the power in easier as to not have insane cylinder pressure.

The LSA is a great choice as too. But it is harder on rods and may be more torque than you can use/control on the street. Depending on what you are looking for powerwise.

There are so many pros & cons to both. Set up properly, both will be a fun time. Turbos will probably cost you more as well if you have to do a custom turbo kit. But the underhood with twins would be very appealing to the eye. lol

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
The only downside I've seen to the lsa is the guys making power with it seem to be heavily intercooled and unless you wanna run lines for and deal with an air to water tank and or icing the blower you may be limited by iats. Also the lsa guys don't keep up with the turbo guys unless the turbo guys spin. But the turbo guys are all on holley stuff around here too.

I'd say your 6 in one hand half a dozen in the other and your gonna have hurdles with either so go with whatevers gonna put the biggest smile on your face.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Check out boost district for lsa setups.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Do you want to spend money (blower) or do you want to spend a lot of money(turbo)?

lol
Not that big of a difference on what Satera quoted me for a single turbo build. But he is looking out for me on cost.
Check out boost district for lsa setups.

Your the 2nd person to tell me that.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
?
blower5_ee8511309f97cb0eebcc790b908256db9dd7c872.jpg

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
What heads on your engine and what size engine? What does your car weigh? Did you have a power goal in mind?
6.0 with 317 heads and I spent a nice chunk of change at the machine shop on them. I hear they arent ideal for boost but will do from what people have told me and things I have read. What heads do you suggest? If I can find some decently priced ready to go, I might try and sell mine.

Think it weighs 3800ish lbs.

600-700whp would be ideal, but again not looking to grudge race or be the fastest big wheel car on the streets. Just want to be able to go light to light on the streets and blow the tires off at will lol.

Reactions: DEEZUZ

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
That power goal and usage is spot on for an LSA.

My C10 has a T6 S476, were I building it again now I'd LSA that mf and not look back.
Turbo and all of the plumbing drops a metric shit load of heat under the hood which brings a whole bunch of other BS issues for an application that really doesn't need it.
Huge cooling system, tons of hours messing with wire/hose routing to keep clear of the piping, miles of heat shielding, etc...
You do you Shawn, but were I building my truck now I would do an LSA blower over another turbo setup.

Aren’t 317’s just bigger chamber 243 heads? I thought they flowed the same just had the bigger chamber.

Yep, 317's have the same intake runner as 243's but a larger chamber.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info