LS9 crate motor costs more than most cars

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
I felt this was newsworthy :rofl:

General Motors did power junkies a solid when it announced at this past year's SEMA show that the famed LS9 engine will be offered as a crate motor. Because the LS9 was designed to live within the tight confines of the Corvette ZR1 engine bay, this engine should fit nicely into all manner of undeserving machinery, a fact that has made our minds reel with endless possibilities.

All that was before we heard the price. As much fun as it would be to drop a ready-made 630-hp supercharged whale-of-a-motor into, say, a Volvo 240 wagon, the $21,000 price tag is a bit of a buzzkill. To put it another way, the LS9 crate motor costs about the same as a base 2010 Ford Mustang. The high price isn't all that shocking, especially considering that Ford charges $17,699 for the 500-horsepower, supercharged 5.4L crate engine that's offered through its Ford Racing Catalog.

As our friends at Autofiends point out, though, anyone with a modicum of experience would be able to eke out even more ponies from a less exotic, standard LS-series engine, which can be had for a song if you're willing to look hard enough. Oh well, like many of the finer things in life, this crate motor is something to be enjoyed by only a limited few with deep pockets.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
Donating Member
Reaction score
IMO the LS9 is worth the 4k bump over the GT500 motor.

TURBOC1

Reaction score
that isnt that bad at all. Think about some of the motors out there and that is super cheap for what u get. Some of the motors for the MB sl cars go for over $120,000 and they dont even come close to that motor.

Slow Buick

eat ass drive fast
Reaction score
so what would it come out to with a worthy 6spd trans / good suspension , ls9 and that $7,000 camaro shell ?

$50K for an LS9 camaro sounds nice..

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
Donating Member
Reaction score
so what would it come out to with a worthy 6spd trans / good suspension , ls9 and that $7,000 camaro shell ?

$50K for an LS9 camaro sounds nice..
You could build a better motor than the LS9 plus full suspension, trans, and the cost of the car for probably around 30-35k.

Slow Buick

eat ass drive fast
Reaction score
awd ariel atom with an ls9 via a porsche trans.

yay/nay

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Reaction score
whats the warranty on the LS9? You're paying for the research that went into making that motor (i would hope) bulletproof if maintained properly.

Primalzer

Reaction score
IMO the LS9 is worth the 4k bump over the GT500 motor.
From what I've heard, the motor that came in the Ford GT was built VERY well. I don't know if it was that similar of a motor, but Heffner performance squeezed more than 800 hp out of a stock bottom and top end. I would say its pretty good on the reliability aspect.

Poopshinanigans

Reaction score
From what I've heard, the motor that came in the Ford GT was built VERY well. I don't know if it was that similar of a motor, but Heffner performance squeezed more than 800 hp out of a stock bottom and top end. I would say its pretty good on the reliability aspect.
For 60k i'd hope its good.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
fuck that. schwartz performance 1000hp twin turbo LS7 for $50K. you can keep your ford junk.

Last edited:

Poopshinanigans

Reaction score
fuck that. schwartz performance 1000hp twin turbo LS7 for $50K. you can keep your ford junk.

That is just the replacement price, or crate motor. I can only imagine what a new Enzo more costs or a new Veyron motor.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
my ultimate dream if i was rich would be to buy 2 enzos and smash them into each other in front of the ferrari dealer i bought them at....thats how much i dont care about ferrari's. so fuck yea to turbo LS7 in enzo...then paint it like sky blue just because.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom