• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

ls1 and lq4 flex plate...is mine correct?

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
just picked up a lq4 out of a 05 2500. looking to bolt up my SS3600 stall and flt 4l60e trans. i noticed that the flexplates look a little bit different, and figured i might as well post up to find out if i will have any issues here...? thanks in advance.

1998 5.7L LS1:

20121110_160720.jpg

2005 6.0L LQ4:

20121110_160731.jpg

i have read that early year lq4's had spacers on the plate or something, but this isn't an early year. it looks as if it might work because it is recessed then it looks like it has the converter mounting point raised up. i just want to confirm though, before i install everything in my car, just to find out i would have to drop the trans again to swap flexplates. :ugh:

any help? :dunno:

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
IM me if you wanna know more ;)
so all i have to do is remove the spacer and install my plate?

it's a fully built trans from flt...i know that doesn't make it bullet proof, but hoping it will last a season or two. but the 6.0 is going to be H/C lol

Yep, remove the 6.0 flexplate and spacer and bolt the ls1 flexplate and trans right up ;)

A built one is better than a stock one lol. I wanted to go with the 60e but i found out the stock one would've gotten destroyed. So $850 for a trans that can withstand 550-600whp in stock form or $2000 for a 60e to take just a hair more and reliablity iffy. We all know built trans' are hit and miss.

School Boy

Spray the cubic inch at it!
Mar 28, 2011
you need the 60e flexplate. Also there's a spacer on there that would need to get removed. It's easy. Good luck on that 60e lasting behind the 6.0 especially if its going to be modded :rofl:

Yep, remove the 6.0 flexplate and spacer and bolt the ls1 flexplate and trans right up ;)

A built one is better than a stock one lol. I wanted to go with the 60e but i found out the stock one would've gotten destroyed. So $850 for a trans that can withstand 550-600whp in stock form or $2000 for a 60e to take just a hair more and reliablity iffy. We all know built trans' are hit and miss.

I sprayed my car with a 250+ shot on that trans and it NEVER skipped a beat. He has nothing to worry about. To me an 80e is way too expensive i would go th400 before I went with an 80e.

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name

School Boy

Spray the cubic inch at it!
Mar 28, 2011
Here ya go, i was pretty sure but to be 100% i asked the truck guys

bolting a 60e behind a 6.0 - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

I still enjoy the comforts of overdrive in the truck for what i use it for:rofl: race cars use th400 ;)

Truck guys must not like the 60 because of how heavy their shit is. Im not saying a 80 isnt better but a built 60 will do just fine behind a 700rwhp car.

I have a 3.25 gear so theres no need for over drive. :)

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
Truck guys must not like the 60 because of how heavy their shit is. Im not saying a 80 isnt better but a built 60 will do just fine behind a 700rwhp car.

I have a 3.25 gear so theres no need for over drive. :)

And I've got a ton on you :rofl:

A lot of the boys run standard cab short bed trucks, so close to 4200#

I just went with the 80 bc it was cheaper than a built 60. I like it, I also have a 4.56 gear :rofl: That'll change later when i add boost

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
What flex plate are you running? I have an SFI approved ls1 flex plate that i can sell you.

stock. and im out of money. lol. sell it to me and ill pay you later. :hsughlol::hsughlol:

the guys at YANK and TSP said i should be okay though, that they have never heard of, or seen a 98 flexplate break, it's always been the later years.

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
engine and trans is sitting under the car. ill be working on it today to get it all buttoned up. but i have to order a new crank pulley, i noticed mine is messed up pretty bad and even scarred the 5.7 crank. so it will be ready to run by the end of the weekend, then i just have to wait for the new pulley to come it.

should i be safe driving it after its finished, or should i wait for the tuner to come over? the 5.7 was tuned nicely with some timing pulled out to be safe.

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
engine and trans is bolted back up in the car. still need to hook up all the connectors and install crank pulley. when i removed my asp underdrive i was about to install it on the 6.0 and noticed the 5.7 crank had some scarring on it. checked out the pulley and the "bearing" portion of it was messed up. so i need to get me a new one ordered before installing the front cooling items and starting it up.

20121117_161027.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info