• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Ls1 air conditioning

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
So I was gonna recharge the a/c but when I looked around I noticed a lot of air blowing from this black device that the a/c lines come out of. Is this normal, something else or is their a leak in the a/c?
20120630_080844.jpg

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
there is a gasket that seals the evap box and piping from leaking the air the blower fan is forcing through, it is probably not sealed well and thats all your feeling....while this may be from just the gromet right there needing to be pulled back into place it may mean that somepoint in the past the evaporator was replaced and the seals fell out of place.

a lit cigarette or a small piece of thread through a needle would point out the source and what you need to seal (black rtv works fine though you may smell it inside till it cured fully)

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
unless you were using a decent dual gauge filling setup you wont notice anything untill you shutoff the car and let the system equalize (keep in mind ambient and condensor temps play a big part in system pressure). its not uncommon for the low side to just stay at low pressure while filling (it can jump up if you flip the can over to fill with liquid vs the evaporating gas)...but the high pressure side will rise, you wont see it on those cheapie low side only setups.
you prob need more to get to a full charge

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
unless you were using a decent dual gauge filling setup you wont notice anything untill you shutoff the car and let the system equalize (keep in mind ambient and condensor temps play a big part in system pressure). its not uncommon for the low side to just stay at low pressure while filling (it can jump up if you flip the can over to fill with liquid vs the evaporating gas)...but the high pressure side will rise, you wont see it on those cheapie low side only setups.
you prob need more to get to a full charge

I did it on another car that was blowing warm air and it worked perfectly. I don't know if I should just keep putting more in. Will anything happen if I put too much freeon in?

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
yeah you can damage something by overpressurizing the system, at the least seals start failing, at most if can blow up the condensor/hose if they are weakened by corrosion.

most vehicles are around 2-2.25 lbs so i wouldnt put in more than 3 12oz cans on a "empty" car.you can fill it till the large pipe (low side) outta the firewall is nice and cool with water condensating on it and you should be close

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• ThirdgenTa
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list