• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

LS me

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
IM me if you wanna know more ;)
You need a new truck water pump?
IeLxkGf.jpg
Lol, not right now
I'd toss that 700r4 off a bridge. It won't last behind that motor at all. Waste of time. Either go 4l80 or th350/400. Use at least a 4000 stall minimum.
Just my .02c
^ he's right, I would go 4l80e instead of the 700. Oh hey, I just so happen to have a spare, with a Transgo HD2 kit.... ;)

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
All I need the 700 to withstand is one summer.. no drag radials. My whole entire goal here is to not be without the car during summer. If by middle of this winter I come out ahead and can afford a t56 I'll go ahead and do it, but as of right now I'm tossing this together. The motor I want one and done, I can play with drive train a few times but I don't want to be lifting heads and swapping cams every season... quite frankly I am so sick of dogomatics, but another $3k for a 6 speed isn't budgeted at the moment.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
JY 4l80e and throw a shift kit in it. Will stand up to a modest turbo application down the road.

Don't be a nance, grow a set, and go turbo. You're wasting your own time by building an NA setup only to go turbo later. Call Martin@Tick or John@LJMS and have them spec out a turbo cam that will do ok NA for the time being if you are still searching for your testicles.

Nate

Addict
TCG Sponsor
Mar 4, 2014
Wondertucky
It would probably be a good route to look into GM production cam like the ls7 with a set of lifters. For the cost cathedral port heads with some port work and you can get your power goals with a stock intake. If you can get an iron 6 liter that would be ideal, but the 5.3 holds its own

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
It's a very basic swap since the 3rd gen and 4th gen are basically the same frame minus front suspension. You can run f-body or corvette accessories, the easier of the 2 being fbody. You can not run truck accessories because the alt will not clear the hood unless you have a cowl.

You can use your stock k-member as is with swap mounts if you don't want A/C. If you want to retain A/C you need to either notch the stock k member or buy a tubular.

Stock fuel lines can also be used but I would suggest swapping a stock LS1 fbody plastic tank because it has an internal pressure regulator. You loop the return after the fuel filter. There is a diagram on thirdgen.org.

The next hurtle is how to control the LS. Best bet it to buy a complete 99+ fbody harness and PCM and a TBI harness. There was a guy in Mi I was talking to that was going to splice them together for me and give me a plug and play for like $700.

Like school boy said, you are better going 4L60 or swapping straight to a T56. The LS TB is not set up for provisions for a kick down cable on a 700r4. I'm sure there is a way to do it but it seems an added step for no reason when you can sell the r4 for the same price as picking up a used 60.

Prepare to pay out the ass for a decent set of long tube headers. If you don't give a shit to squeeze ever last hp out of your combo you can get away with a set of cheap ebay chinese headers.

I had about 90% of the parts I needed and even had the harness sent out to be built for the swap in my GTA. Then Frank decided to be an asshole and sell me a 4th gen.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info