• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

LS Guru's step inside

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
So I'm doing a LS swap (LQ4 6.0) on my 83 Regal, motor has 110K. Doing small build to start with, cam and associated mods that go with the cam, TBSS intake, LT headers, aftermarket bigger TB. Would like to do some preventative maintenance as well while we are at it. So I'm doing a Melling oil pump, new timing set with cover, new water pump, new starter. Also planning ahead and doing a 400lph fuel pump and having the rings re-gapped for when I eventually boost it, figure its easier to do those things now. I'm not familiar with the LS engines and common issues. So is there anything else I should probably do now for preventative maintenance or anything else I should upgrade now for future boost? No plans to go crazy, will probably only throw 8-10lbs at it when I do boost it. Not worried about doing bigger injectors just yet as thats easy work when the time comes. Also is a Fast intake worth the money over the TBSS intake, if so what Fast intake? I'd probably search for a used one as I dont want to drop close to $1k for just the intake mani.
Thanks in advance

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Just gonna say the stock injectors are like 25lb/hr. Kind of dubious of you getting much more power out of them without upgrading. Not a ton to add otherwise. The big thing in my mind is valve springs with the cam. Spend a few bucks there and don't get some LS6 springs or something silly stockish like that. You really want good springs for a boosted engine.

Reactions: Shawn1112

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
first off what cam and spring package are you running?

if you dont have anything picked out, heres what i suggest:

oil pump - eh, if it makes you feel better. but get the high volume, not the high pressure.
otherwise a stock replacement would be just fine.

forget about regapping the rings.
is the engine clean? like not all slugged up with nasty oil?
if it is, dont even take the heads off. slap your cam and springs on it and ride.

fast intake - nah. not worth the money. a tbss or NNBS intake will do just fine.

are you going to run the C5 corvette bypass filter/regulator for the fuel system?
if you are, make sure you run the proper fuel rails for that returnless style setup
what tank are you going to get? (i have a 87 GN tank that is "efi" compatible unlike a carb'd tank like i think you have)

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
If you're only going to push 10psi you probably don't need to gap the rings. Only if you are going to be pushing quite a bit more. The bottom end will take some abuse since it's a 2005 LQ4 with the thicker rods. The motor was pulled right out of a running truck and put in my bed so it shouldn't need any refreshing. Just slap a cam in it and let it go. If you do pull the heads you can replace the lifters but otherwise they are probably fine for what your going for.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
first off what cam and spring package are you running?

if you dont have anything picked out, heres what i suggest:

oil pump - eh, if it makes you feel better. but get the high volume, not the high pressure.
otherwise a stock replacement would be just fine.

forget about regapping the rings.
is the engine clean? like not all slugged up with nasty oil?
if it is, dont even take the heads off. slap your cam and springs on it and ride.

fast intake - nah. not worth the money. a tbss or NNBS intake will do just fine.

are you going to run the C5 corvette bypass filter/regulator for the fuel system?
if you are, make sure you run the proper fuel rails for that returnless style setup
what tank are you going to get? (i have a 87 GN tank that is "efi" compatible unlike a carb'd tank like i think you have)
Looking at doing a Brian Tooley cam package with seals and springs
Yes I plan on doing the high volume pump
Heads are coming off regardless, I'm doing a complete new gasket kit. Might be a waste of money to some people, but I'm just anal about that shit. Plus I'm going to have a machine shop clean and deck the heads
TBSS intake it is
I'm doing a Holley Sniper EFI Fuel Tank System, with a 400lph. Its as simple as it gets and the 400lph should be enough for when/if I boost it.

If you're only going to push 10psi you probably don't need to gap the rings. Only if you are going to be pushing quite a bit more. The bottom end will take some abuse since it's a 2005 LQ4 with the thicker rods. The motor was pulled right out of a running truck and put in my bed so it shouldn't need any refreshing. Just slap a cam in it and let it go. If you do pull the heads you can replace the lifters but otherwise they are probably fine for what your going for.
I say only 10lbs now, but knowing me I will probably wind up pushing more than the 10lbs. If I dont and eventually sell the car, the next guy will be set up for it.
Leave the bottom end alone. Don't touch it, don't even put new rod bolts in it.

If you really want to do new rings, add a set of ARP rod bolts and new bearings. At that point you might as well throw in a set of pistons and rods. But as mentioned, doing anything to the bottom end is not necessary.
ARP rod bolts were on my list

HILROD

TCG Elite Member
Oct 22, 2007
ELGIN
I usually do arp bolts and bearings. If there is boost I gap the rings. If the motor is lowish miles the stock oil pump is fine. I usually port the pump is I do a new one. If you go check out Sloppy Mechanics he has a bunch of videos that show what an LS can take. Stock or otherwise.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info