• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

LS 6.0 starting but doesnt stay running

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
So went to pull my 83 Regal out the garage today to bathe her and take her out tonight and all weekend. Been about a month since I fired her up.
Started fine but struggled to idle for a minute and died. Fired her back up and only stays running with foot on gas pedal. The minute I let off to shift in to gear she dies.
Last time I drove her she ran perfectly fine
Obviously she is getting fuel if she is starting. Where should I start my search at for this issue?
Running the Holley EFI-Terminator X and its drive by cable on a TBSS intake.
https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...=2ahUKEwjX1cv49O7sAhVHbc0KHTttAK0Q0Qx6BAgqEAE

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
For me I would hook a cable up to the box and see what the sensors tell you, e.g. are you going lean etc. Have you run it this cold yet? It may be your idle air or your idle fuel aren't set well because of that.
Its 72 degrees out so not cold, but too answer your question. Yes I have driven it in cold weather.
I'm pretty sure I can access my sensors via the Holley kit as I have a 3.5 LCD screen with it. Anything in particular I could look at?
AFR is lean as shit while keeping my foot on the pedal to keep her running (AFR 24.3ish). But drops big time when I let off

Also that Holley Terminator kit is self learning, car has enough miles to be dialed in

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Cool, was just wondering how dialed in it was or wasn't. In terms of the data, I'd look at TPS percentages and see how they look. e.g. does it advance smoothly and is it nearly zero pedal down and open at WOT. I would also look at MAP sensor readings to see what KPA it's trying to idle at (that may be a symptom as well as a problem) how steady the RPM is being picked up and if there's anything else that looks "noisy."

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Cool, was just wondering how dialed in it was or wasn't. In terms of the data, I'd look at TPS percentages and see how they look. e.g. does it advance smoothly and is it nearly zero pedal down and open at WOT. I would also look at MAP sensor readings to see what KPA it's trying to idle at (that may be a symptom as well as a problem) how steady the RPM is being picked up and if there's anything else that looks "noisy."
Okay, did see TPS in the LCD screen and I'm sure the map has to be in there as well.
Just went out and double checked all the vaccumn's plus the CAI and everything all good.
Added 2 gallons of gas just to be sure and when I went to start it I had to get in and hit the gas pedal to get her going.
Same shit, just dies out
Is there a fuel pressure gauge on the terminator kit?
Something else I will look at tomorrow, I dont recall seeing that but will double check.
Its crazy the last time I drove her a month ago she ran perfectly fine, was actually running very good as it was a nice cool night out.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
This car is sold as well, my buddy paid me off in full except for $1k last week lol. He isnt taking possession until I get the bumper fillers re-painted which I was supposed to do next week lol. The deal is if I dont get them re-painted then he doesnt give me the last $1k. So best believe they are getting painted.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
This car is sold as well, my buddy paid me off in full except for $1k last week lol. He isnt taking possession until I get the bumper fillers re-painted which I was supposed to do next week lol. The deal is if I dont get them re-painted then he doesnt give me the last $1k. So best believe they are getting painted.

Swing by I’ll spray paint them

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Anyone see anything that might help point me in right direction? I’m holding the RPM at about 700RPM in pics. If I let off she dies.

B2D6DFDC-27BB-4799-BAC1-3B553BD3EF48.jpeg

33397FB5-E269-4F13-9B52-323C5A2C661D.jpeg

57AB5A67-5AE2-445E-8E14-B7DE5347F3CB.jpeg

B846DAA8-2354-4DF8-9EDB-99C5987A23C5.jpeg

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I'd start with checking fuel pressure at the rail. Then move to the harder stuff like chasing vacuum leaks.
Chased vacuum leaks first and no luck. Buddy of mine who is a wrench thinks there is unmetered air coming in from somewhere.
Says I need to get a smoke machine to accurately test for vacuum leaks. Called Vato Zone by my house and they dont rent. Anyone know who would rent them?

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Fuel pressure is good? I’ve had a fuel pump resistor go bad and have a similar issue, was making just enough pressure to barely get it to run but not....run. Lol
Did not check yet, fuel pump is only a month old. But what has me concerned me since it was installed. I constantly hear it buzzing while car is running. We had to fight with Holley to warranty the pump being it was less than a year old. Holley says the buzzing is due to how it sits. Told them the original one didnt do that. They said some do and some dont (yeah ok buddy)
Almost positive I can rent a fuel pressure gauge to connect to the rails.

My buddy thinks its air because per him looking at the LCD screen. Said my injector pulse width is a lot, more than double the normal, AF ratio is double and looks like computer is dumping gas with no changes.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I'd say pump, if you can manually trigger it with the holley sys I'd try that and see what pressure does.
What's the motor have done to it? Stock truck intake and rails?
With the car running and footing it to stay around 700rpm fuel pressure is between 60-65psi.
Talked to guy who did my build and he says thats normal and pretty sure the pump is okay.

BTR Turbo cam and mods to run that cam, TBSS intake and rails, long tubes

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
With the car running and footing it to stay around 700rpm fuel pressure is between 60-65psi.
Talked to guy who did my build and he says thats normal and pretty sure the pump is okay.

BTR Turbo cam and mods to run that cam, TBSS intake and rails, long tubes

Wait, I thought you said it went to zero after 5-6 seconds.
Sorry, misunderstood there.
So it is holding fuel pressure when it's running?

In that case I'd tend to agree with your buddy that it's getting unmetered air somewhere.
You could always try the old carb cleaner trick - start spraying it around areas there might be a leak.
Odd that it ran fine and now it has a leak bad enough to cause this.

Reactions: Shawn1112
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info