LS 5.3 DOD AFM oil consumption

pajamasam

Reaction score
I'm have been having some oil consumption problems with my girlfriends saab 9-7x which is basically a tbss with a 5.3 instead of 6.0. It does have that displacement on demand or active fuel management which I think is the culprit. It's burning at least 2 qts per oil change.

I have been doing some reading and a ton of trailblazer, saab, and other 5.3 guys are having the same issue.

Some say replace drivers side valve cover with Pcv. Some say it's the AFM valve in the oil pan spraying on the pistons and rings. Some say tune out the AFM completely.

I am very good with LS motors and I don't mind ripping the heads off to put ls7 lifters in if I have too but I want to see what other people are doing first.

Thoughts?

daturbosix

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
never experienced that amount of oil consumption. try tuning the stuff out to see if that changes stuff. delete the PCV and put a catch can on it or a breather.
is it possible that thing has that much blowby?

EmersonHart13

Member Selfie
Donating Member
Reaction score

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
Mine is the same I have done nothing about it for the last 2 years, if there is an easy fix I'm all for it otherwise I plan to re power it with something cool in the future

daturbosix

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
this must be a DOD and/or AFM issure, because the womans tbss doesnt have any consumption issues.

pajamasam

Reaction score
Yea I'm almost positive it is. Because I have had two suburbans with 300k and 130k never burned a drop of oil.

The saab is an 2007.

I will check the blow by but I highly doubt it.

Also with the oil it burns I would think it would be fouling plugs left and right.

I was thinking about the catch can also just for something to try.

EmersonHart13

Member Selfie
Donating Member
Reaction score
My catch can always had oil in it, and it wasn't even a very good one.

Ti28

Cupcake
Reaction score
07' since your out of warranty. Just do a DOD delete and hope the rings ain't shot.

pajamasam

Reaction score
Yea I think I'll do the engine top end cleaning procedure I am reading about. It sounds like I need to get the AFM valve deflector, people have had success with it.

pajamasam

Reaction score
Yea I have been reading a bunch. No one ever has any soild, " I did this with these results" lol

Thanks everyone for your help and thoughts

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
I bought a can of the spray sea foam and soaked the pistons through the spark plug hole let it sit over night and that helped slightly but it still burns oil, I think if you did that a few times a year it may clear it up pretty good but I don't care enough about the issue to do that lol it's easier to just add a couple quarts

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
I talked to a friend that works at a gm dealer he said there procedure was to spray gm top end cleaner into the cylinders and soak like that, he said the rings get coked up with oil and stick together causing bad blow by I can't confirm wether that's true or not but the piston soak seemed to help some like I said

lastls1

Reaction score
Not to bear bad news or burst a bubble but I believe on these engines GM has a very high tolerance for oil consumption. I believe there is a tsb bulletin that was close to 1.5-2 quarts per 3k or something like that. If I have some Time I will look it up when I get back to my desk. Honestly on an LS style engine if I hear of oil consumption I already know it's normal lol

lastls1

Reaction score
I hope it doesn't get worse... But basically I'm trying to say if it was still under warranty you would have a hard time getting gm to replace anything

lastls1

Reaction score
I know it's not under warranty. I was saying im pretty sure this condition is labeled as normal. No Saab has a warranty anymore. GM washed their hands of Saab when they sold them

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
Donating Member
Reaction score
I wonder if [MENTION=109]TommyGloves[/MENTION] has had this problem?

pajamasam

Reaction score
I talked to a buddy that works at GM today and says he does the ring(top end) cleaning with the GM chemical and the relief valve deflector.

I'm not looking forward to pulling the pan.......

Stink Star Productions

Don’t Drive Angry!
Reaction score
I talked to a friend that works at a gm dealer he said there procedure was to spray gm top end cleaner into the cylinders and soak like that, he said the rings get coked up with oil and stick together causing bad blow by I can't confirm wether that's true or not but the piston soak seemed to help some like I said
This is what we used to do to free stuck rings, now we just replace the pistons.

Not to bear bad news or burst a bubble but I believe on these engines GM has a very high tolerance for oil consumption. I believe there is a tsb bulletin that was close to 1.5-2 quarts per 3k or something like that. If I have some Time I will look it up when I get back to my desk. Honestly on an LS style engine if I hear of oil consumption I already know it's normal lol
The "acceptable" consumption is 1/2qt per 1000 miles. Too high in my opinion but that's what will get you warranty work at a dealer.

Personally we haven't seen too many trailblazers but I've done about a million valve cover/ AFM deflectors and collapsed AFM lifters in c/k trucks. Usually cylinder 7 spark plug gets fouled out with oil and the thing misfires. It's tough to say what your issue is. I've fixed motors with the valve cover and deflector, and I've had to do pistons in some. Problem is, taking off the oil pan on a Saab 97x is pure hell. I'd just deal with it for now and get rid of the car ASAP..... It's that terrible to fix it

lastls1

Reaction score
This is what we used to do to free stuck rings, now we just replace the pistons.

The "acceptable" consumption is 1/2qt per 1000 miles. Too high in my opinion but that's what will get you warranty work at a dealer.

Personally we haven't seen too many trailblazers but I've done about a million valve cover/ AFM deflectors and collapsed AFM lifters in c/k trucks. Usually cylinder 7 spark plug gets fouled out with oil and the thing misfires. It's tough to say what your issue is. I've fixed motors with the valve cover and deflector, and I've had to do pistons in some. Problem is, taking off the oil pan on a Saab 97x is pure hell. I'd just deal with it for now and get rid of the car ASAP..... It's that terrible to fix it

I couldn't remember what it was but I remember it was one of the highest consumption I'd seen as acceptable. U beat me to it.

I second what you say. If at all possible I would sell the vehicle if your able to

pajamasam

Reaction score
She loves the truck there's no way I can sell it lol. I'll just have to plan a weekend to drop the pan. Luckily I have a shop and lift with all the tools I can use to do it.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
Reaction score

i thought i read in a tsb about an updated deflector, but i wasnt sure if it actually worked.

it's probably pistons, so i would just deal with adding a bit of oil every so often :gives:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom