Lower intake gasket

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Where is the oil leaking from the intake gaskets? Whoever did it might not have put RTV in the corners like they were supposed to. It does semi-look like the valve covers are weeping a bit. Does it leave oil on the ground under the car?

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
Where is the oil leaking from the intake gaskets? Whoever did it might not have put RTV in the corners like they were supposed to. It does semi-look like the valve covers are weeping a bit. Does it leave oil on the ground under the car?

The last pic is kind of hard to see but kind of looks like it's leaking from the sides.
I'm also very slowly loosing coolant and it's not in the oil.

Here is a pic of the bottom of the car. It's not leaking on the ground but the bottom is always wet.

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
That oil looks like the valve covers, and if you're leaking coolant out of the intake manifold externally, you should be able to smell it or see it in the gullies that the bolts are in. The smell is really strong when it's an external leak and the engine area is hot. ZZP sells the GM aluminum intake gaskets, and if they were installed properly they should never leak. They're the best ones you can get.

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
The valve covers shouldn't be leaking if they were done though, so that's a mystery. Unless they forgot the actually replace them when they were doing the job? That could happen, just in the heat of putting everything back together and you just forget to replace them. Especially since they're actually in the valve cover, you have to physically pull them out, so I could see that happening.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
f*** those Felpro aluminum gaskets make sure its the GM stuff. slight coolant leak is either through the intake gaskets in small enough quantities that it just evaporates away in which case look for coolant colored crust or thick syrupy liquids that are bitter nearby.
consider getting a good used lower intake if that lower intake had a 3m abrasive rotary pad used on it. you can at least clean it and get it ready to drop on when you do the job so you don't have to screw around for an hour cleaning it in the middle of the job.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info