Jeff
i did those.

giphy.gif

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
the felpro gaskets have no sealing bead support, so the beads compress and squeeze out of the way. the gm gaskets have the sealing rib surrounded by the aluminum carrier so that the sealing bead is always held under pressure even as it relaxes over the heat/cool cycling

i had turned my old shop to the aluminum gm gaskets for all 3800's...i remember them being happy felpro came out with a cheaper gasket, unfortunately they dont prove to be very durable as the sealing beads seem to split as they age.

their first failure was a large external coolant leak on his wifes 96 bonnie L36

the corrosion around the coolant ports had split the felpro bead and it started leaking with less than 3 years/30k

two other failures of the felpro's have been seen by em and they no longer use em.

if you look at how the sealing beads are molded/supported between the two....youll see why you should spend the few extra bucks and get the GM aluminum gaskets.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info