• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

LOUD exhaust backfire after head/cam install....????

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
Put something on after the headers. I found out the hard way you need at least "10 of tubing after the o2 sensors or they read the air coming in the other way. It ran fine for a min. Took it to the track and barely got it off the trailer. It would idle fine around like 1-1300 anything over it was shit and if I let off it would die. Put the mid pipe on and all was right in the world.

this is what i was thinking. are the upstream O2s at the very end of the headers? it could be reading the outside air making the PCM think the exhaust is extremely lean (making it dump a retarded amount of fuel).

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
ive got a misfire on number 6. using the tech2, holding it at 2000 rpms number 6 is dead. changed coil, plug wire, good compression, no cylinder leakage no valve train noise. same injectors and intake that were on the truck previously. fml!

it runs fine above 1300 rpms, but when it goes to idle it backfires and stalls. im going to get the exhaust mated up before i do anything else and go from there. a cam shouldnt show up at a single cylinder misfire should it?????

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
also, ive never degree'd a cam, but i shouldnt be having these issues with it installed straight up....correct?

Well degreeing a cam is simply finding the best place where the valves open and close.... Depending on the cam card and what is already cut into it. I am honestly not sure if you set it straight up if it would affect anything. But with everything that was done to the engine it could be affecting it. Especially with the change in compression along with the different size valves and the different cam.

More than likely it is the open headers causing the issue. Magnified by the fact that the car is probably dumping fuel due to the head and cam swap. It is trying to compensate for everything Uve thrown at it.

Xfirez51

Fast BoyZ of IllinoiZ
Jan 1, 2013
Northwest Chicagoland
Well degreeing a cam is simply finding the best place where the valves open and close.... Depending on the cam card and what is already cut into it. I am honestly not sure if you set it straight up if it would affect anything. But with everything that was done to the engine it could be affecting it. Especially with the change in compression along with the different size valves and the different cam.

More than likely it is the open headers causing the issue. Magnified by the fact that the car is probably dumping fuel due to the head and cam swap. It is trying to compensate for everything Uve thrown at it.

Not likely that this is going closed loop. Certainly not at initial startup and probably not because of the open header. So O2s not having any affect on tune.
Base fueling tables would need to be trimmed, or use the CTS v AFR TABLES and the open header needs to be addressed. Any changes to the injectors on this build? fuel Pressure?

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
So after putting about 20hrs into this truck trying to figure it out its fixed. ended up finding out i had the coil wiring backwards on the right bank fml lol. i didnt think it would fit incorrectly but apparently i was wrong lol. truck runs great going to be heading to speedinc soon for a tune. thanks for the help guys

Xfirez51

Fast BoyZ of IllinoiZ
Jan 1, 2013
Northwest Chicagoland
So after putting about 20hrs into this truck trying to figure it out its fixed. ended up finding out i had the coil wiring backwards on the right bank fml lol. i didnt think it would fit incorrectly but apparently i was wrong lol. truck runs great going to be heading to speedinc soon for a tune. thanks for the help guys

Occhom's Razor.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info