LOUD exhaust backfire after head/cam install....????

phat_ridegt

TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
LOUD exhaust backfire after head/cam install....???? SOLVED

so im working on a buddies truck its an 05 4x4 gmc truck. we swapped in a low mile 5.3 that i put a 220r cam, and prc stage 2.5 cnc heads. also put pacesetter lt headers. currently its setup open headers because i need to get it to the exhaust shop to mate it all up. every time i start the truck it backfires like a shotgun.

i know its open headers but ive never ran into this before. I don't have a base tune in the truck because i can't even get it running long enough to do anything with it. i dont have much experience tuning ls motors. anyone have any suggestions on what to change right off the bat? stock intake and injectors for now. my concern is i'll tow it to the exhaust shop and then still wont be able to drive it home.....

Last edited:

phat_ridegt

TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
i didnt degree the cam i just installed it straight up...im 99.99% its lined up. ill go back and look at my pictures

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds to me like it might be off a tooth... but I could be wrong. :dunno:

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
are the ls motors supposed to be #1 at tdc when you install them straight up, ive seen someone line it up dot to dot and forget to do the tdc part before on the v6's

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yep, #1 @ TDC and the dots pointing towards each other between the gears.

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
ground connection? i had a bad back fire/ miss and a high idle with a shitty ground once

phat_ridegt

TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
never thought of that....wonder if the one ground strap on the drivers rear head ever made it back on?

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
you can throw a couple of those test wires with the clips from a motor bolt to the body and find out real quick

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Reaction score
I remember my LT1 backfiring like that after doing LTs, before hooking the catback up.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There's a difference between an exhaust "pop" and a full on backfire. Not being able to keep it running also made me wonder on the timing chain. Let's hope its the simple ground issue.

phat_ridegt

TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
yes this is a full blown backfire that sounds like a shotgun! working on the ground now

phat_ridegt

TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
installed that ground strap and a new battery terminal bolt (which was stripped) and it seemed to run a tad better but it still backfired and stalled. it starts back up but just wont fire. smells like raw fuel. think im going to tow it over to the exhaust place next week and get that finished up and see what happens. fml lol

phat_ridegt

TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
so ive been talking with jim at speedinc, and he said the tune shouldnt stop it from running with stock maf and injectors. so i decided to hold the throttle open a bit and when its over 1300ish rpms, it runs fine. no backfiring at all. its picking up a misfire on one cylinder so im going to solve that first but it seems maybe the misfire in combination with the open headers is my problem......hmmmmmm

Shibby50

Reaction score
Put something on after the headers. I found out the hard way you need at least "10 of tubing after the o2 sensors or they read the air coming in the other way. It ran fine for a min. Took it to the track and barely got it off the trailer. It would idle fine around like 1-1300 anything over it was shit and if I let off it would die. Put the mid pipe on and all was right in the world.

lastls1

Reaction score
Hook the exhaust up first..... Then I am guessing it has not been tuned yet? If not the car may die as soon as it tries to go into closed loop. Same thing happened with my Camaro. Ran ok during warm up open loop. As soon as the warm up cycle completed boom it would die.

lastls1

Reaction score
Btw. Those 2.5 prc heads change the engine compression as well as they have the larger intake and exhaust valves. Changing the compression could be your issue right there without a tune or degreeing your cam

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom