Lost title transfer of car

Jokerzl

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
May 15, 2012
Ashkum
My father in law lost a title to one of his cars. What we want to do is do a gift vehicle. Meaning pay a 15 dollar transfer fee with a 95 dollar title fee. Will the state honor the transfer if he can prove he owns the car. Bill of sale, registration, and insurance cards can be used to prove ownership. Do you think the state will allow for a quick change?

Your thoughts or facts

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
The owner of the car would end up having to file for a duplicate title, been there done that.

That is not quite correct. They can, but it will take weeks and weeks.

There's a way you can sign a power of attorney I think where the new owner pretty much pays for the title twice.
[MENTION=126]Dasfinc[/MENTION] will chime in I'm sure.

This is correct.

Easiest/Fastest way, Old owner, New owner go into DMV, lost title, DMV will have the old owner sign over power of attorny to the new owner. New owner files for lost, and then transfer to self.

Lost title fee is like $69, And then normal transfer/reg fee's apply.

You CAN get the POA form from the DMV website if I recall correctly, and have the PO fill out all of the required information, and go into the DMV alone with that to get the title in your name. I haven't had to do it that way in like 2/3 years, so I don't know if you can still 'get away with that', I don't see why it would have changed :dunno:.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info