Lost title transfer of car

Jokerzl

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
My father in law lost a title to one of his cars. What we want to do is do a gift vehicle. Meaning pay a 15 dollar transfer fee with a 95 dollar title fee. Will the state honor the transfer if he can prove he owns the car. Bill of sale, registration, and insurance cards can be used to prove ownership. Do you think the state will allow for a quick change?

Your thoughts or facts

daturbosix

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
in my experience you have to file a title(paper copy, in hand) when you any sort of transfer.

BUT!!! , you can file for a lost title, and process it so it comes back in the new owners name.

go to a DMV, dont waste time at a currency exchange

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Reaction score
There's a way you can sign a power of attorney I think where the new owner pretty much pays for the title twice.
[MENTION=126]Dasfinc[/MENTION] will chime in I'm sure.

SuperDaveGSE

Hole Enlarger
Reaction score
The owner of the car would end up having to file for a duplicate title, been there done that.

Dasfinc

Mrrrrstang.
Reaction score
The owner of the car would end up having to file for a duplicate title, been there done that.
That is not quite correct. They can, but it will take weeks and weeks.

There's a way you can sign a power of attorney I think where the new owner pretty much pays for the title twice.
[MENTION=126]Dasfinc[/MENTION] will chime in I'm sure.
This is correct.

Easiest/Fastest way, Old owner, New owner go into DMV, lost title, DMV will have the old owner sign over power of attorny to the new owner. New owner files for lost, and then transfer to self.

Lost title fee is like $69, And then normal transfer/reg fee's apply.

You CAN get the POA form from the DMV website if I recall correctly, and have the PO fill out all of the required information, and go into the DMV alone with that to get the title in your name. I haven't had to do it that way in like 2/3 years, so I don't know if you can still 'get away with that', I don't see why it would have changed :dunno:.

Jokerzl

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
Thanks I will try what I can

We may try gifting the vehicle as well

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom