Loss in Fuel Economy

The Italian

But not Italian
Donating Member
Reaction score
I have a 2013 Focus that was averaging around 34-35MPG at about 320 miles to a tank. But lately, I've noticed it dipped down to about 30MPG and my last fil-up was under 300 miles. Whats causing this? Fuel system need cleaning, need new fuel filter, does the air filter have any effect?

Help me get my miles back!

P40E

Reaction score
How many miles on the air filter ? Also check to make sure your tire psi is at spec. .

I don't think my tpms sensors triggered the low psi light on the dash till my psi got down to about 22 psi.

The Italian

But not Italian
Donating Member
Reaction score
Has our fuel blend around here changed from winter to summer yet?
That's another thing I was thinking. Not sure if we've changed yet but I'll find out tomorrow.
How many miles on the air filter ? Also check to make sure your tire psi is at spec. .

I don't think my tpms sensors triggered the low psi light on the dash till my psi got down to about 22 psi.
AFAIK, it's the factory one but I could be wrong. Little over 50k miles. How often should these be changed?

Turbocharged400sbc

Welllllllllll ya knowwwwwww.....
Reaction score
you're also fairly close to the end of your oxygen sensor life. I would start with cleaning your mass airflow sensor and replacing the air filter along with resetting fuel trims

AWDCD3

Reaction score
You also are probably due for a fuel system cleaning. Direct injection engines get a lot of gunk on the valves that will lower your MPGs.

wolfe

in black sheep's clothing
Reaction score
You also are probably due for a fuel system cleaning. Direct injection engines get a lot of gunk on the valves that will lower your MPGs.
I was told, and have done this, to run injector cleaner with every oil change. And this was on a non DI engine. (GM that are know for fuel problems)

The Italian

But not Italian
Donating Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. Will look into doing all of the above and hopefully it'll help. Need all the MPGs I can get with having a 43mi each way commute.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom