Looking to switch phone carriers. Looking for some real-world opinions.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Because they dropped CDMA which can be better for weak signals. Now everything is GSM.

TLDR: its complicated, is really the easiest answer :rofl:

CDMA has better error correction and can tend to operate much better on weaker signals. At the same time, in really dense urban areas, multiple CDMA networks can have a reverse effect and cause worse performance of the network over all as you scale up to more and more users.

GSM tends to operate better in that environment, at the cost of losing the weaker signal areas, but being able to distribute more hubs to cover those areas without degrading the network quality over all when more users are using the network.

So its a trade off, GSM won.

link me babe

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
IIRC CDMA was also spread spectrum in North America/US, so on the lower frequencies it used it would provide better range/coverage. GSM is pretty much tied to 900 Mhz and 1900 Mhz. The 1900 is great for penetration of objects, like walls, but much shorter transmission/receive range. GSM was also adopted in other countries (continents?) years ago, and the US was basically a holdout for the older tech.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
That’s actually pretty cool. I ended up going with T-Mobile. Magenta MAX business plan. 5 lines on now just over $200/mo with two phone payments on 13 pro max’s.

Compared to Verizon the service is 60% the same. 30% better with T-mobile vs. Verizon, and 10% of places I had better with Verizon. I’ll take it.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
That’s actually pretty cool. I ended up going with T-Mobile. Magenta MAX business plan. 5 lines on now just over $200/mo with two phone payments on 13 pro max’s.

Compared to Verizon the service is 60% the same. 30% better with T-mobile vs. Verizon, and 10% of places I had better with Verizon. I’ll take it.
Calculating Oh No GIF by MOODMAN

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

status update 5 days later?

im likely about to make a jump

cocksuckers at vzw randomly raised my shit $12. twelve. dollars.

not the amount but the principle

March Madness Sport GIF by NCAA Championships

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
yep i have 18% company discount too.
What’s aggravating is that I’m not even on an unlimited plan. It’s 12GB plan with hotspot. If I went to their lowest unlimited I’d be paying MORE, and lose the ability to hotspot. ?

I’m waiting for either AT&T or T-Mobile to offer free iPhones for switching, then I’ll jumping to them.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
What’s aggravating is that I’m not even on an unlimited plan. It’s 12GB plan with hotspot. If I went to their lowest unlimited I’d be paying MORE, and lose the ability to hotspot. ?

I’m waiting for either AT&T or T-Mobile to offer free iPhones for switching, then I’ll jumping to them.

yep im on a grandfathered plan where i get 18 but get 2 per line extra plus a lifetime of 12 so i have 36 typically per month IIRC and can hotspot

but yeah, JUST CHANGE

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
I'm on Verizon. Have 4 phones and a tablet on the plan. My wife's phone is on the highest unlimited, mine is the 2nd tier unlimited, 1 phone on the 3rd tier unlimted w/ 5g, and the 4th phone on the bottom tier unlimited. 3 phones being paid on the plan, and my monthly is $263.05, without the phones, I'm at $203.

• Wow
Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
It probably doesn't help that I'm paying for my mom's line, my dad's, and his second wife. Really I should be a single line, but, hey, they raised me and fed me for like 20 something years, so least that I can do. Especially with her being retired and on a very limited income.

Going for "favorite child of the century" because my sister is a pathological lair and incredibly selfish. I'm a shoe-in!

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
It probably doesn't help that I'm paying for my mom's line, my dad's, and his second wife. Really I should be a single line, but, hey, they raised me and fed me for like 20 something years, so least that I can do. Especially with her being retired and on a very limited income.

Going for "favorite child of the century" because my sister is a pathological lair and incredibly selfish. I'm a shoe-in!

she could probably just get a free obama phone at that point...

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005

Yup, that's why we have the in-laws on our plan as well. Plus, the additional phones dropped our plan prices :)

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I have an older iPhone SE 2020, then there's a Pixel 3a, Pixel 4a, and some piece of crap flip phone that works on 4G LTE. I'm waiting for the carrier iPhone lottery to hit, since GLADIATOR GLADIATOR kept that big winner to get another Taco.

No more supporting multiple brands, phones, storage, etc. Everyone on one platform, everyone on the same device, everyone on the same version.

• Haha
Reactions: GLADIATOR

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I switched to Xfinity I forget when, something like 4-5mos ago. Been super happy with it.

That’s it.
That’s my story.

xfinity is just verizon sold through comcast. We have it, it's fine as long as you don't use ALOT of data. We're on a family "unlimted" plan and when we hit 25GB used it's like being on 3G cell service again. Aside from that, it's fine for way less than paying Verizon.

yall still liking xfinitiy?

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
status update 5 days later?

im likely about to make a jump

cocksuckers at vzw randomly raised my shit $12. twelve. dollars.

not the amount but the principle

March Madness Sport GIF by NCAA Championships

Oh I switched like 3 months ago. It’s good overall. Like I was saying, weird places I don’t get service but nothing major (like by the Best Buy in Crystal Lake and chunks of Bull Valley for some stupid reason)

But I have 2-3 bars of 5G at my house in Hayward that I used to have to drive 15 miles to get signal before, most of southeast Wisconsin is good as well.

They had the promotion where if you did two lines with a business plan you got a third phone line for free so I took my fiancé‘s old iPhone XR and had them assign a random number that I could put on marketplace and craigslist ads. That phone gets the same signal respectively“2 to 3 bars” but just of LTE and works great.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Oh I switched like 3 months ago. It’s good overall. Like I was saying, weird places I don’t get service but nothing major (like by the Best Buy in Crystal Lake and chunks of Bull Valley for some stupid reason)

But I have 2-3 bars of 5G at my house in Hayward that I used to have to drive 15 miles to get signal before, most of southeast Wisconsin is good as well.

They had the promotion where if you did two lines with a business plan you got a third phone line for free so I took my fiancé‘s old iPhone XR and had them assign a random number that I could put on marketplace and craigslist ads. That phone gets the same signal respectively“2 to 3 bars” but just of LTE and works great.

i know it was 3 months ago, i said 5 days later cuz that was the last time you had said something about it :rofl:

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

can you do a run by south eastern kentuck and let me know quick also

• Haha
Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info