Looking to switch phone carriers. Looking for some real-world opinions.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Go to Wisconsin more
Kenan Thompson Shrug GIF

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
Recently switched to the T-mobile magenta plan, which is $120/month out the door for 2 lines. Unlimited everything and I think a fairly high threshold on 5G data before they start throttling. It seemed to be the best deal at the time when I was looking. I also think that if I were to add a third line, it would still be $120/month.

Coverage is good around here, except my house is smack dab in the middle of a dead zone for 5G. So if I'm somehow off wifi here, I get like .5 mbps download. Also, their coverage was horrendous in central Michigan - but I don't know if any other providers' would be any better.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
One of my things for switching is that I really don’t care about 5G. I normally like to have the “latest and greatest”, but I’ve yet to encounter a situation where 4G LTE wasn’t good enough (as long as there was signal).

I hit 205Mbps down sitting on a beach in Florida. With my phone I wouldn’t even use 10% of that.

I’m more concerned with coverage and less dead zones.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
To add, the g/f has T-Mobile and commutes home to Carol Stream from Lemont. If she calls when she leaves it’s a guarantee her signal will drop 3x during her commute, always in the same areas.

Heading to my dad’s she loses signal shortly after getting off of I-64 east of Winchester, KY on to the mountain parkway where I’ll have signal almost all the way to his house in Jackson, another 60-70 miles.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Not sure if you have service in Hayward but Verizon has been majorly sucking this summer in the Northwoods. Not sure if it is the influx of people moving up there or just the summertime population jump.
Right thats my issue. Vzw was killer ky and wisco now my dads cabin which isnt far north whatsoever i dont have service at, in laws in ky i have to go outside to have serive... Just silly.

• Angry
Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Right thats my issue. Vzw was killer ky and wisco now my dads cabin which isnt far north whatsoever i dont have service at, in laws in ky i have to go outside to have serive... Just silly.

A place I frequent once had good service. Now has 1 bar. It's almost like a tower disappeared.

Reactions: Yaj Yak
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info