Looking to switch phone carriers. Looking for some real-world opinions.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
well fuck at least there's a reason.

why'd they do that shit.

i legit can't take a call at my desk :rofl:
call verizon or talk to your building management to get a verizon cell spot for the office. Usually cell providers will hand them out for free if you can show it is shit in there.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
call verizon or talk to your building management to get a verizon cell spot for the office. Usually cell providers will hand them out for free if you can show it is shit in there.

ill ask our vzw guy, gracias.

he's trying to sell me a bunch of shit currently so maybe this will be my angle

MAKE MY EXISTING SHIT WORK HOMIE

Reactions: FESTER665

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Because they dropped CDMA which can be better for weak signals. Now everything is GSM.
Did this coincide with the switch to 5g? The way it evolved for me was:

Had 4g iphone 6 or 7, and amazing service/cell data through 2019

Service started getting spotty throughout 2020 but I thought it might have been my old ass (company) phone

Got a personal 5g iphone 12 december 2020, legit fucking sucked anytime the 5g icon was on. Significantly slower than when it showed 4g/LTE, and also significantly slower than the 4g/LTE on my other old ass phone.

Sometime in early 2021 I stopped seeing the 4g/lte icon and the service became universal shit, and it's only declined since.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber

Had 4g iphone 6 or 7, and amazing service/cellular through 2019

Service started getting spotty throughout 2020 but I thought it might have been my old ass (company) phone

Got a personal 5g iphone 12 december 2020, legit fucking sucked anytime the 5g icon was on. Significantly slower than when it showed 4g/LTE, and also significantly slower than the 4g/LTE on my other old ass phone.

Sometime in early 2021 I stopped seeing the 4g/lte icon and the service became universal shit, and it's only declined since.
Yes. 2G was phased out and now 3G is gone too, started phasing it out 2020-2022.

"4g/LTE" logo was a mix of 4g and 3g

"5g" logo is a mix of 5g and 4g.

5g is VERY LOS dependent if it is using true 5g.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
I had to do that with my own house. Had great service with Tmobile. They turned on a cell tower closer to me but for whatever reason my wife and I had issues connecting between that tower and the previous one. So they sent me a personal cell "tower". Haven't had issues since.

Reactions: Lord Tin Foilhat

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish

IIRC cdma was 2g. GSM was 3G

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I had to do that with my own house. Had great service with Tmobile. They turned on a cell tower closer to me but for whatever reason my wife and I had issues connecting between that tower and the previous one. So they sent me a personal cell "tower". Haven't had issues since.
We almost did the same but Tmobile ended up having good coverage for us and no issues since.

Reactions: importcrew

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
How's the xfinity network? I need to switch carriers as well...
xfinity is just verizon sold through comcast. We have it, it's fine as long as you don't use ALOT of data. We're on a family "unlimted" plan and when we hit 25GB used it's like being on 3G cell service again. Aside from that, it's fine for way less than paying Verizon.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
xfinity is just verizon sold through comcast. We have it, it's fine as long as you don't use ALOT of data. We're on a family "unlimted" plan and when we hit 25GB used it's like being on 3G cell service again. Aside from that, it's fine for way less than paying Verizon.
correct. Xfinity just leases other provider networks.

You become second or third tier on the priority list, but its the same network.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber

in some areas if 5g is crap for you, go into the phone network settings and turn off 5g or set it to 4g LTE only.

Usually that will fix my signal issues for that area at the cost of a little bit of speed...but if 5g is barely working anyways, the speed doesnt matter.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
IIRC GSM was also what the EU and AS countries use, making it easier for global telecoms to use the same devices in multiple countries.

CDMA was primarily US and the EU countries didn’t have much support for it. Easier to get everyone on GSM instead.

Verizon‘s 3G will be sunset this December.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
IIRC GSM was also what the EU and AS countries use, making it easier for global telecoms to use the same devices in multiple countries.

CDMA was primarily US and the EU countries didn’t have much support for it. Easier to get everyone on GSM instead.

Verizon‘s 3G will be sunset this December.
Yup. GSM is worldwide.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
200.gif

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info