Looking to get my 6yo son into braaap - v. 50sx motocross.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Hes been asking about getting a dirt bike, and I used to race when I was a kid/teen. So I've taken him to a few races and hes just in awe. Hes awesome riding his bicycle without training wheels, and hes becoming a dare devil.

So it looks like a great time to get him into the sport of motocross. Hes just a tad to small for a senior 50cc, but if we get him a junior 50 he will grow out of it in under a year Im betting.

Im looking at getting a new 2017 KTM 50 sx senior bike for him. And Woodstock KTM said they can lower it and set the sag heavy so he can touch the ground. Im betting he will be good with this bike for 2-3 years at least. He wont be 7 until January. But man we are all stoked. I may get a 250 so I can ride with him at practices and on the trails.

We are going to gear him up right away too. Meaning we will order everything with the bike. I need to get a hitch and one of those small aluminum trailers from Home Depot.

Does all this sound like a good plan? We also have a 3yo boy thats going nuts wanting to ride too. So if for some reason he doesnt LOVE this sport, Im sure our younger boy will. And if both dont love it, these 50 senior bikes are in high demand and hold their value very well.

The 2017's have a $500 rebate which should cover the complete gear he needs from head to foot. Man Im excited. It was awesome being at the track again. I haven't ridden for 20 years.

What are others experiences?

Oh and I dont want to get him a CRF50. Those are nice and much cheaper, but they have nothing for suspension and once he starts hitting the jumps, its going to hurt. I polled several dads at the last race we went to, and they all agreed the CRRF50 is a trail only bike. And there was only one kid out of maybe 40 that had one last friday.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
This is basically it.

s1600_2017KTMmini.jpg

And there are these Cobra bikes I have never heard of. But they are expensive and fast from what I have read.

2013%20CX65%20002650.jpg

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Buy him something used and cheap to start out.

That might be a better solution in terms of cost. But I know he will move up fast. Hes growing quick, and I want him to have the best possible equipment for both safety and low maintenance. We are both going to be new to this, and Im basically going to be his mechanic. Plus I will have something worth reselling if I need to. I would just prefer it being new.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I'm going to get my 7 year old something small that's already done with all it's deprecation to start out on even if it's only for 6 months or a year so he learns how to ride before I put him on something fast enough to get hurt on, I found some pw50's for 350-500 bucks local just haven't pulled the trigger on one yet

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Suspension be damned, little kids are resilient. Buy a cheap beater 50 on CL and see if he's even into it. I feel like you have these grandiose plans spending top dollar for something you're not 100% sure about.

Seriously, buy something that may not look pretty but runs fine for pennies on the dollar as opposed to buying brand new stuff.

https://madison.craigslist.org/mcd/d/ktm-adventure-mini-single/6186350462.html - $1000

https://rockford.craigslist.org/mcy/d/ktm-sx-mini-adventure/6171295746.html - doesn't say price but says what you already said "son out grew it [now i'm taking a bath on it]"

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/d/suzuki-rm/6189154199.html - $350 just to get him accustomed to a dirt bike and not a pedal bike

here's another KTM someone paid top dollar for at some point https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/d/ktm-sxr-pro-junior/6216611443.html - $700

https://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/mcy/d/ktm-mini-adventure/6221831725.html - $750

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/mcy/d/ktm-kids-dirt-bike/6210902808.html - $850

Those are just the first page of Madison and Chicago listings of "50" in motorcycle.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
My brothers kids were all riding dirt bikes and quads when they were 4 and 5 years old. Granted he set the limiter real low to start with and they still crashed a few times but the oldest who is 8 can ride as good as his father (or me for that matter).

I agree start them young, the only part I would change is buying something new. If your willing to piss away money on new equipment go ahead. You can find junior 50's on clist all day and save some coin.

Number 1 rule of riding on 2 wheels... it is not if you drop it but when because it will happen!

Mr Baytchos

TCG Elite Member
Jul 8, 2007
Cortland, IL
Real Name
Anthony
Bought my kids a 80cc minibike. Yes the old school rigid frame mini bikes. It's perfect for them and they can grow into a bit. Obviously they aren't hitting jumps but it let's them get the feel of riding a motorcycle. They have already crashed it numerous time and since it was only $300 new I didn't care so much. If they continue to enjoy it and ride it I will upgrade them to a 110 or something along those lines.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
My brothers kids were all riding dirt bikes and quads when they were 4 and 5 years old. Granted he set the limiter real low to start with and they still crashed a few times but the oldest who is 8 can ride as good as his father (or me for that matter).

I agree start them young, the only part I would change is buying something new. If your willing to piss away money on new equipment go ahead. You can find junior 50's on clist all day and save some coin.

Number 1 rule of riding on 2 wheels... it is not if you drop it but when because it will happen!

But what if all works out and he loves it and gets 3+ years out of the new bike? Its not like having it will be a bad thing.

Besides guys, I went through the shitty bikes as a kid phase with my parents. Showing up to a race with a 10 year old bike and mismatched, used gear was quite embarrassing. Not that this is the deciding factor, but I want my son to fit in and enjoy himself. Not worry about the other kids making fun of his 1978 RM50. Its just not me. If I'm pissing away money, so be it. Hes worth it and I would feel worse if he decided he didn't want to ride because of a bad experience.

In my parents defense, they didnt have the means to get me into motocross, but they pulled it off anyway. But I do have the means, and if that means having the kid that shows up with the brand new bike, trailer and gear just to finish last, then so be it.

I appreciate all the feedback. And hes going to be focusing on racing eventually. And I feel it just better to learn and practice on what he can compete with rather than giving him something that he might grow out of quickly.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Have you ignored everyone and bought your kid a brand new bike yet?

You mean considered their opinions? Yes I have considered all of their opinions. And a used bike is not out of the question. We are going to start looking this weekend. I have a few dealers to stop at, then some bikes from CL. I might get one also. Maybe a 250F for me to be able to keep up with him when pleasure riding.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
So it has happened.

After careful review of his size vs the available bikes/prices...We decided to get him a 2018 Honda CRF50.

Over the last few days, I looked at a few used CL bikes and some other new ones of different brands. This bike was the most bang for your buck. Shit even used CRF50s that were beat, were still $800+. So we just decided to pull the trigger. It will be delivered here shortly. We got him an XS MSR SC1 helmet to go with it so he can at least ride it going forward. I plan on getting him out as much as we can to get comfortable on it, then starting next season he will race it in the 50cc Jr class. If he out grows it quick, we can put bigger bars and a overbore kit on it. This is the most popular mini bike for kids and adults so the aftermarket is insane. This bike can grow pretty cheaply.

And when he straight out grows it, I will get him one of those KTMs. But seeing as how this was $1500 and the KTM is $4000, I think this is a better starting place. Oh and Im getting a bike too. Probably this spring so I will be able to keep up with him on the trails, and frankly I'd like to race again. Im losing weight and I plan to get way stronger over the winter. +35 class here I come.

oOksjV8.png

Zb2MJSj.jpg

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
He got a chance to ride it on Saturday. He LOVES it. Its all he can talk about now. He flipped out because we didnt tell him he was getting one.

So it took him all of 5 minutes to figure out how to ride it. Granted I had to set the throttle stop to like 10%. He tried to goose it the first time and it wheelied out. But I was holding onto him and the bike and I caught it before it dumped.

Little by little I will start adjusting it back to full. Not to mention hes only using 1st gear too. I took it out down the street to show him, and I was able to get it into 3rd wide open and I forgot how fast they are. Even with my 275lb ass on it. Its going to be fast with a 47lb kid on it. So far so good. He needs some more gear before we let him get more serious with it. Boots are next.

Man I love riding it too...lol I need to get one sooner than later. Probably going to be a 250f of some sort.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info