Looking to Buy a New Car Subaru WRX

brandoLSX

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time"
Jul 12, 2011
Broomfield, CO
I am in the midst of looking for a new DD. I'm leaning towards a Subaru WRX, just the base model. I don't need anything super fancy for the DD. I like the thought of All Wheel Drive and the style is pretty nice. Would like something new with a warranty. My 97 Blazer is still slowly falling apart, I've already replaced the engine 70K miles ago, rebuilt trans, new basically everything, but things keep breaking.

Does/Has anybody owned one of these? Any problems I should consider? Good Subaru dealerships to go to? Or any good deals? 4 or 5 door and why? Anything will be helpful. Thanks!

2011-subaru-wrx-hatch-5_653_zps70b64118.jpg

2011-subaru-wrx-hatch-8_653_zpsf6258285.jpg

2012_subaru_wrx_front_zps5297300c.jpg

2012_subaru_wrx_front_34_zpsc933c911.jpg

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I second the paint issue. I owned a new wrx a year and a half ago. Only owned the car a year and couldn't stand it any more. Whatever you do, DO NOT go to Suds in Bloomington, IL because that place has absolutely terrible service.

I had paint chips in areas that made no sense at all and my hood scoop was warped from the factory. You can throw that warranty word around all you want, my hood scoop was never fixed after a year of owning the car and bringing the issue up a couple of times (could be the dealership though). The doors are light and everything feels kinda cheap to me. IMO it feels like a cheap built jap car.

They are really fun cars to drive, but not to own. The lag on the motor was pretty suprising. Launching hard would either burn up the clutch or bog like a mofo. It did get up to 60 pretty quick, but would fall on its face hard after that. The interior is a lot of cheap looking plastic and is really bland. The seats provide good lateral support. Re-sale value was really good, but for what those cars cost...there are better options. I probably won't buy any import again unless I win the lottery and it is a supercar though.

P.S.- the orange peel on the factory paint is a freakin joke too.

brandoLSX

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time"
Jul 12, 2011
Broomfield, CO
Thanks, I'm not looking at modding the car at all, or doing any hard launches. Just a simple DD car. But I will take all the paint problems into consideration and the engine failures when purchasing. Any other cars that you would consider similar that I might be interested in looking into? Never going to own another Chevy as a DD again. I'm neutral on Ford and a Negative on Dodge. I always heard Subaru had a good reputation for longevity, I am surprised. Haven't driven one yet, will go for a test drive and see how the interior feels and such. My main concern really is reliability, don't need anything super flashy.

Prevent

ilikemtb999 is my friend
Jun 29, 2009
Ive known plenty of people with zero problems. Its not like I'm new to the car scene. The only people Ive ever met that bitch constantly, are you and prevent :rofl:

come at me bro

The subaru is fun when i first bought it at 18, it was fast and awesome.

Now it's a car with a huge wing, hoodscoop and blue interior... i drive a matchbox car to my bosses and female friends.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
The subaru N/A motors have good reliability from what I read, but not the turbo motors. Modding them will definitely increase the risk, but people have stock motors going out on them.

Keep in mind that these come stock with summer tires which even with AWD are absolutely shit in the winter. So, you will have to get some new tires for winter. Also get mud flaps right away, I have never seen a car throw so much shit down the side of the car.

I agree with taking it for a test drive. I didn't enjoy having to downshift frequently to keep the motor in the power band. the clutch was pretty stiff too, tough to drive it silky smooth. The first time I drove the new mustang gt my girlfriend instantly made a comment about how much smoother the car was.

ilikembt kinda chuckled at me a while ago when I said the same thing about reliability. I agree with him that it is probably just good marketing.

Prevent

ilikemtb999 is my friend
Jun 29, 2009
AWD = awesome especially with SNOW dedicated tires
gearbox = awesome
motor = cabage

when it rains, you might as well stand under a tin roof shed because it's quieter than inside a subaru.

it rattles, a lot... everywhere.

gas mileage was fair, i average 22mpg

people with subarus wave at you, insinuating you are "friends" but you are not.

everyones tries to race you, cops follow you

in the end it's an economy car trying to be a race car

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
AWD = awesome especially with SNOW dedicated tires
gearbox = awesome
motor = cabage

when it rains, you might as well stand under a tin roof shed because it's quieter than inside a subaru.

it rattles, a lot... everywhere.

gas mileage was fair, i average 22mpg

people with subarus wave at you, insinuating you are "friends" but you are not.

everyones tries to race you, cops follow you

in the end it's an economy car trying to be a race car

I wont disagree with those points :rofl:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info