Looking to Buy a New Car Subaru WRX

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
if your going to leave it stock get whatever is a better riding car or cheaper or whatever but if you think you will ever do any performance upgrades get the evo if its in the budget, and visit ams, ams claims 80hp increase with just intake exhaust and a tune on the evo x, i had intake exhaust intercooler and hard pipes and a tune on my ix and it was a pretty fast car with minimal work i think it put down around 330-340whp on 22lbs of boost

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Jul 16, 2004
SAC/DEN/SFO/CHI/SEA/PDX
Problem with a WRX is that you'll always regret not getting an STi. Atleast thats the consensus I've gotten from most WRX drivers.

This.

When I had both my 08 and 09 wrx's, I had always wanted an STI. At the time though they were roughly 40k and for that type of coin there was so many other things that I could get.

brandoLSX

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time"
Jul 12, 2011
Broomfield, CO
He's looking for a newer car with a warranty; sti's are way over that budget.

Yeah I think so too. They are just so much more than the WRX. Over 10K over base WRX that just seems a bit ridic. But oh well. I would love a sick STI but I think it's more reasonable just to stick with the WRX.

Luckily the Auto show is coming up and can sit and check out as much as I want then take a few for a test drive later. I'm going to look into the Ford Fiesta and Focus as well. Those ST's aren't too bad either. After driving in the snow today I don't think I can go from 4wd to just a FWD car. That AWD is selling me real good.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Yeah I think so too. They are just so much more than the WRX. Over 10K over base WRX that just seems a bit ridic. But oh well. I would love a sick STI but I think it's more reasonable just to stick with the WRX.

Luckily the Auto show is coming up and can sit and check out as much as I want then take a few for a test drive later. I'm going to look into the Ford Fiesta and Focus as well. Those ST's aren't too bad either. After driving in the snow today I don't think I can go from 4wd to just a FWD car. That AWD is selling me real good.

Every year the wrx and Sti get more and more similar; I find it funny. Now the wrx even has the same wide body as the sti. Really you're getting a much better drivetrain and brembos. Everything else meh to me.

GLIGTO

Coyote Nut Swinger
Jun 3, 2012
Desantis-Land
Honestly I'd throw down with an AWD car in the snow vs my FWD Jetta on snow tires. I used to have an S4 Quattro which, on all-seasons still managed to get me stuck when an ABS sensor failed and rendered my car diagonal 2wd. My Jetta, despite being quite low from the factory, goes like an absolute champ in snow. I've driven it through some pretty decent snow storms and never had an issue. Snow tires make all the difference (and the driver of course).

That being said you can pick up a new GTI for around 24k and its 10x nicer than a WRX. VWs have a pretty good warranty, too. Even covers oil changes (and they use synthetic as mandated by VW).

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Seems like you are set on AWD.

I was going to say, go test drive a lower mile Acura TL in your price range. With any luck, you may find an AWD, but that price even used may be a little steep.

Used Taurus SHO is another

If sticking with smaller, new, then you probably need to test drive the VW, WRX and Focus ST. See which is the best fit.

brandoLSX

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time"
Jul 12, 2011
Broomfield, CO
Honestly I'd throw down with an AWD car in the snow vs my FWD Jetta on snow tires. I used to have an S4 Quattro which, on all-seasons still managed to get me stuck when an ABS sensor failed and rendered my car diagonal 2wd. My Jetta, despite being quite low from the factory, goes like an absolute champ in snow. I've driven it through some pretty decent snow storms and never had an issue. Snow tires make all the difference (and the driver of course).

That being said you can pick up a new GTI for around 24k and its 10x nicer than a WRX. VWs have a pretty good warranty, too. Even covers oil changes (and they use synthetic as mandated by VW).

Thanks Man, I actually was just looking at the GTI's I like those cars pretty well. I will check it out and good to know they have a good warranty. Thanks

GLIGTO

Coyote Nut Swinger
Jun 3, 2012
Desantis-Land
Just as an aside to the above: I bought my GLI with 26k miles in 08. Currently sitting at 110k and counting. I've drag raced it, auto-x several times, had it out on Gingerman raceway, done numerous back-road jaunts, driven through all sorts of weather, etc. With all that, only mechanical issue I've had is the turbo blew at about 80k But that's with running almost double the factory boost for like 50k miles so it was bound to happen lol. Still driving on the factory clutch!

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Gti's are sweet. I'd rock one. They get way better gas mileage and they're peppy; not as quick as the wrx but still fun.

And the Jetta guy is correct; snow tires make all the difference. Awd doesn't mean shit if you don't have the proper tires (yes I know you said you would probably get them).

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
Gti's are sweet. I'd rock one. They get way better gas mileage and they're peppy; not as quick as the wrx but still fun.

And the Jetta guy is correct; snow tires make all the difference. Awd doesn't mean shit if you don't have the proper tires (yes I know you said you would probably get them).

With the tame winters here in Chicago, AWD isn't a "necessity". I do occasionally get irritated in the wet with my FWD GTI. But the other 99% of the time, I don't miss having my WRX. I do enjoy the "nicer" GTI, the better fuel economy, and the cheaper purchase price vs a comparable year/mileage WRX. A set of cheap wheels and snowtires for a FWD car will get you through nearly anything old man winter can throw at you. Those cheap snowtires will also allow you to put less miles on a more expensive set of grippy summer tires as well.

As with any turbo car, they can be reflashed for better performance. My APR stage 1 GTI is just barely slower than a stock 2009+ WRX from a roll (based on the two that I've raced at highway speeds). The WRX can be flashed to get a good bump of HP and torque also. Obviously, a high rpm launch from the WRX at a dead stop will allow it to jump out in front of most any car.

If you truly feel that the 1-5% of the time that an AWD car has a distinct advantage on the street, then stick with it. But otherwise, test drive all of the cars you are considering, and go with the one you like the feel of best.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.