• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical Looking for some technical help!

daveakre

Oct 27, 2020
Elwood IL
Real Name
Dave
A good scan tool can monitor the o2 sensor amperage in the live data. It would be good to know if the current is too low or too high. Most of the time the heater circuit codes are caused by an open heater circuit inside the sensor, but the new sensor probably rules that out. Time to check the wiring for opens or shorts. Heater circuit should be able to illuminate an incandescent test light with the sensor unplugged and the vehicle running.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Ended up having two separate breaks in the o2 heater wire. One rub through on the trans dipstick. Another no idea, just ran a new wire.

Thanks Nate Nate for getting it squared away! He had it figured out and done in a matter of hours.

It threw a PO420 and P2272 now, I’ll throw downstreams at it but I’m not confident. It smells pretty much like the cat is toast.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I was considering cheap headers, ORY and a tune lol. I’ll have to read the numbers on the cats and send them to a buddy, I might be able to do it all for what I can get for the cats. This thing just putts along at 75 at like 1,700 RPM but the TC unlocks with a stiff breeze, thinking a slight power bump would be helpful.

Rdrnnr

wannabe racecar builder
Nov 15, 2020
Man I'll be honest I'm amazed at how much better my 8l90 acts now all across the board that my torque values are closer than they used to be. I can't wait til I can afford to get a tcm from hp and play with the lockup in like the first 2 or 3 gears and then probably leave it be for now. Gm really does alright at building things they really just cut the balls off these trucks tho

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
This thing has no balls as it is lol. But if I can put LT’s on it in an afternoon for the cost of scrapping the cats, do a budget lower on the truck since it has leaking shocks all around as it is, I should be able to squeak a bit more fuel economy out of it. If I can get it to average low 20’s I’ll keep it to run between here and up north lol.

I’d want to find an ORY that goes into the factory cat back. I literally don’t know I’d such things exist.

Nate

Addict
TCG Sponsor
Mar 4, 2014
Wondertucky
Ended up having two separate breaks in the o2 heater wire. One rub through on the trans dipstick. Another no idea, just ran a new wire.

Thanks Nate Nate for getting it squared away! He had it figured out and done in a matter of hours.

It threw a PO420 and P2272 now, I’ll throw downstreams at it but I’m not confident. It smells pretty much like the cat is toast.
Frank throw some of those o2 Fowler’s in that #2 spot. The trick is to double stack them. Make that fucker LLLLLIIIIIIIEEEEEE to the pcm

• Haha
Reactions: Yaj Yak and Outlaw

Rdrnnr

wannabe racecar builder
Nov 15, 2020
Nate Nate Clogged cat won’t affect mileage negatively? Thing legit still smells like as if the cats were cut off lol
Ya know I've never really had to deal with a restriction as much as I love my sawzall but I'm curious how a plugged cat show in a scan would it make things back up or rich or lean or my thoughts in theory would be no air moving and the pcm thinkin it's rich and pulling it lean as hell? And this is probably a stupid question but I've never ran across it

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
all across the board the map readings will be higher than than normal. idle map may not vary except with extreme plugging/broken cats) but youd see atmospheric on the MAP at the lower throttle angle than previously, engine revs sluggish, fuel is pulled.
removal of O2 sensors will likely remove the issue but be loud, alternatly you can buy a backpressure gauge n sensor and ring for the o2

Reactions: Rdrnnr

Rdrnnr

wannabe racecar builder
Nov 15, 2020
All right now what you're going to need for the gas pedal is a brick. Then you're also going to need a really high cliff
This is exactly how I feel about this terrain that keeps comin back to the shop. Took it across town got rocked 500 for an oil pressure sensor and diagnostic now trannys actin up and on torque showin one sides probably got a pcv leak and the other fine but two weeks ago both trims were lean on hp. I keep tryin to get the girl to get rid of it before I end up havin to put a timing chain or transmission in the bastard

Nate

Addict
TCG Sponsor
Mar 4, 2014
Wondertucky
Nate Nate Clogged cat won’t affect mileage negatively? Thing legit still smells like as if the cats were cut off lol
Trust me you’d know if you had a restriction. All I’m saying is pull that rear 02 out of the stream enough to where the pcm thinks the converter is operating correctly

name of the game is as cheap as you can right?

Reactions: Yaj Yak and Outlaw
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info