Looking for IT / Networking / Information Security job

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
I'm looking for an entry-level job in Information/Network security, network engineering(NOC) or similar.

I'm currently working on the CCNA and OSCP certs, and have experience with Cisco IOS, Linux(deb-based) and Windows management, firewalls(pfSense), IDS(Snort), Cabling(Cat5/6, Fiber, RG59/6). I'm also learning Python, and took 3 years of C++/Java programming in high school. I have hobby-level experience with robotics and other miscellaneous electronics, including embedded-hardware hacking(UART/JTAG).

I don't have a bachelors degree yet, though that's something I'm working towards finishing part-time(Comp Sci).

Just throwing this out there in the off-chance that someone here is hiring or knows someone who is.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Would love to say that we are... but with recent "scaling" hires like these are becoming more specialized, focused engineers. The real kicker is that SAP requires bachelors to look at a resume now. Hiring won't be like it has been for me in the future.

To the OP, get a solid resume posted on Dice and Monster. Have your LinkedIn profile polished. You should be able to find a job, the market is pretty damn strong right now even for entry level roles.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
Would love to say that we are... but with recent "scaling" hires like these are becoming more specialized, focused engineers. The real kicker is that SAP requires bachelors to look at a resume now. Hiring won't be like it has been for me in the future.

To the OP, get a solid resume posted on Dice and Monster. Have your LinkedIn profile polished. You should be able to find a job, the market is pretty damn strong right now even for entry level roles.

I've got Resumes on Indeed and Dice so far, I'll get one on Monster too. Any pointers on things I should have on the resume(that are specific to this field)?

There's tons of jobs out there, but like you mentioned, they want a Bachelors(or years of experience).

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
I'm actively hiring support analysts, and don't require a degree... What kind of professional experience do you have? Being in the middle of learning all of those things doesn't really help a position much to be honest.

I do the system administration stuff for our (small) office. But it's nothing crazy...A router, switch, and firewall(Watchguard Firebox flashed with pfSense) that I put together, plus a web server and a handful of desktop computers. I've also been doing general troubleshooting/repairs for home and small business clients...Most of which is just virus removal, basic networking, hardware replacement, etc.

Sounds like I should just hold off until I at least get the CCNA and OSCP certs done. I know certs are never a guarantee, but they help.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I do the system administration stuff for our (small) office. But it's nothing crazy...A router, switch, and firewall(Watchguard Firebox flashed with pfSense) that I put together, plus a web server and a handful of desktop computers. I've also been doing general troubleshooting/repairs for home and small business clients...Most of which is just virus removal, basic networking, hardware replacement, etc.

Sounds like I should just hold off until I at least get the CCNA and OSCP certs done. I know certs are never a guarantee, but they help.

The certs are meaningless unless your going after that very specific career path for what it's worth.

I do Application support, which is a Niche in itself, but is hard to hire for as many many many many people have just desktop support experience that are looking right now.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
I do eventually want to get in to Security and more specifically Pen Testing... Hence the OSCP cert. I'm doing it mainly for the hands-on experience it offers with their labs. It's pretty cool, and i think it's far better than most certs that test how much knowledge one can regurgitate to answer multiple-choice questions.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
My company is always hiring, while we are a security minded consulting company we don't do just security consulting... Well at least not yet.

If your looking for infrastructure networking and server work (help desk as well) with security focus you would like my company.

Certs are only worthless if they are for a specialization you have no experience in or a field your not going into.

Finding any IT people in Chicagoland is difficult, has been for a few years. The unemployment rate for IT is less than 1.5% last time I looked.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
My company is always hiring, while we are a security minded consulting company we don't do just security consulting... Well at least not yet.

If your looking for infrastructure networking and server work (help desk as well) with security focus you would like my company.

Certs are only worthless if they are for a specialization you have no experience in or a field your not going into.

Finding any IT people in Chicagoland is difficult, has been for a few years. The unemployment rate for IT is less than 1.5% last time I looked.

[MENTION=5218]cap42[/MENTION], that would be ideal. I don't mind starting in a helpdesk or NOC-style position and moving up as I gain more experience. I just need to get my foot in the door somewhere.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
The certs are meaningless unless your going after that very specific career path for what it's worth.

I do Application support, which is a Niche in itself, but is hard to hire for as many many many many people have just desktop support experience that are looking right now.

Might I respectfully disagree? Sure there are certs which are path specific, but there are definitely general certs which don't anyone down a particular IT career path.

Comptia as an example.

Experience > certs > bachelors, IMO. But bachelors is certainly desirable... So that should show how important all 3 are.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
If you want to break into security, look up Burbsec. They meet up regularly, and it seems like a lot of the people there are always looking. Also, don't forget RSA has a Chicago office. If you apply for something PM me as I'll give you info for a referral.

Thanks, I've been meaning to get to a BurbSec meeting for a while now. It's kind of tough with my schedule, but I'll have to try and make it to the one this coming Thursday since it's so close to my office.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
What sucks is I talked to a guy at BSides Chicago this year who ended up being a team leader/manager for Microsoft. He offered me an entry-level gig doing software/application security, but I'd have to move out to Washington state obviously. I can't leave the Chicagoland area, otherwise it would be awesome to go work for one of the big 4.

I still have his contact info if anyone else DOES want to move out there and do software security(primarily source code auditing from what he described)...It sounded like they always have spots open.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info