Looking for a new bike. Motorcycle guys step in.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Calling Mr Baytchos Mr Baytchos , willsmysticcobra willsmysticcobra , 1MEANGT 1MEANGT and all you other 2-wheel junkies.

As the title states, I’m looking for a commuter bike to ride this summer. I started out looking at mid 2000’s Honda Rebel 250’s but they seem to be commanding a higher price than I thought. I also went to look at one yesterday and at minimum I would’ve need forward controls for that bike. If I’m going to spend $2,500 on a Rebel, I feel like I could spend $3,500-$4,000 and get way more for my money. Ive owned small nimble slow bikes and big HD’s and liked them all, that said, I want to potentially try something new as well as sticking to the smaller, more nimble side of things. Looking at Cafe Racer style bikes, HD Sportsters, etc.

What I’m looking for is recommendations. I like riding, but I am far from a “motorcycle enthusiast“ and simply don’t even know what options are out there. As you can guess by me looking at 250 Rebels, I’m not super concerned with speed, but I would like to be able to cruise at 65 for 30-40 miles at a time without ringing it’s neck.

-$4,000 budget max, would love to be sub $3,000.
-Relatively new. No projects.
-EFI huge plus, but not necessary
-Fairly priced. I don’t need to flip it and make a killing, but I would like to get 90% of my money back if I decide I don’t like it 3-4 months down the road.

Here are some pictures of what I like from my search so far. Some are in budget, some aren’t. Just trying to get the point across of what I like.

F0D87C0C-F3BB-4C5B-AE67-E30F1609F738.png17B5038F-8DC4-4032-888B-817C837D7AE5.png71F94FDA-C204-48EA-B4F5-683FF254DDDE.png1F55B2D5-E7CF-471A-92D8-1193C8DA814E.pngA18E1ABC-A495-49BC-985F-457E5C93921D.pngABC18505-9800-4837-9BCE-47A40527AC18.png

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg

1MEANGT

Braaaaaaap!!!
Mar 18, 2004
So many different choices to look at. Like Dan said, the Shadow Phantom sounds like it would fit the bill in your budget. Plus they look pretty cool.

The problem with a 250 is I think you will get bored very quickly and feel like you are ringing it out at highway speeds. It's also a sellers market with used motorsports, especially this time of year. So finding something reliable and cheap may be a challenge.

With that said, YES, buy a bike and come ride with us!

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
So many different choices to look at. Like Dan said, the Shadow Phantom sounds like it would fit the bill in your budget. Plus they look pretty cool.

The problem with a 250 is I think you will get bored very quickly and feel like you are ringing it out at highway speeds. It's also a sellers market with used motorsports, especially this time of year. So finding something reliable and cheap may be a challenge.

With that said, YES, buy a bike and come ride with us!

That was the impression I got from the 250 yesterday. This started with selling my Elite I had for years last week and buying a Zuma 50 because of the aftermarket. Quickly decided I’d rather just buy something that can do 65 instead of touching every part of the scooter to do so.

That has turned into this now, where I’m thinking a Rebel is a $1,500 bike it seems to be more in the $2,500-$3,000 range which isn’t happening lol.

Reactions: 1MEANGT

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
Brand new Cafe' Racer Vitpilen 401 for $4788 (no additional setup or freight charges), but it's in Oregon.

This is basically the sister bike to my Svartpilen, but with lower handlebars and tires more oriented for pavement. It's light (330 lbs) and nimble, and you'd get a 2 year no mileage limit warranty with it. Yeah, you'll be over your preferred budget once you add tax and registration, but it seems like it checks off what you want. And it's BRAND NEW.

vit 401.jpg

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
Dan00Hawk Dan00Hawk

Seriously, Those Husky's are
Suhweet ???
They are quite a bargain for a new lightweight bike with a slipper clutch, quickshifter, ABS ByBre (Brembo), LED lighting, and adjustable forks. The fact that they look stylish is a welcome bonus. As a new rider, I was initially interested in the Vitpilen (cafe' style) but soon learned that I'd rather have the more comfortable riding position of the higher bars on the Svartpilen (Scrambler style) along with the rally tires.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Right now based on your recommendations and my own findings I’m between the SCR950, Triumph Bonneville/ Thruxton/Scrambler, Ducati Scramblers and the Husky.

I love Cafe Racer bikes, like the off-roady Scrambler look too. Something in one of those two styles that’s nimble and quick is what I’m focusing in on for sure.

Annnnd the budget keeps going up lol.

The $1,500 Zuma flip into a $2,000 Rebel is now sitting at like 150% over yesterday’s max spend :io:

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
Right now based on your recommendations and my own findings I’m between the SCR950, Triumph Bonneville/ Thruxton/Scrambler, Ducati Scramblers and the Husky.

I love Cafe Racer bikes, like the off-roady Scrambler look too. Something in one of those two styles that’s nimble and quick is what I’m focusing in on for sure.

Annnnd the budget keeps going up lol.

The $1,500 Zuma flip into a $2,000 Rebel is now sitting at like 150% over yesterday’s max spend :io:
All of those bikes sound like they'd fit your needs quite well. I love the look of the cafe' style bikes too, and I was initially drawn to them. But to me, that's where they are best: parked in front of a cafe'. I say that because with the low handlebars, they simply aren't comfortable to ride for any extended amount of time. A scrambler style has higher handlebars with an upright seating position that isn't as rough on the wrists and back. Of course, everyone is built differently and that's why some guys can ride sportbikes for hours on end, while others get cruisers. If you get a chance to compare the Husqvarnas (Vitpilen and Svartpilen) at a dealership, you'll see what I mean. I bought mine from Rob's Powersports up north of you in Johnson Creek, WI, so they may have a couple on hand for a direct comparison. But just looking at the difference in the handlebar height indicates the main difference between a scrambler (Svartpilen on left) and a cafe' (Vitpilen on right):
husky-twins-differences-5_560x420.jpg

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Don’t bother with a shadow 750. I had one and loved it but it was so hard to push beyond 50+. Dangerously slow on the highway. If you are going that slow a Honda monkey would be fun. The new style Kawasaki katana looks like a great cruiser. I just got an r3 and having a blast but I am sure you don’t want that style

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Don’t bother with a shadow 750. I had one and loved it but it was so hard to push beyond 50+. Dangerously slow on the highway. If you are going that slow a Honda monkey would be fun. The new style Kawasaki katana looks like a great cruiser. I just got an r3 and having a blast but I am sure you don’t want that style
What year shadow? I have friends with a carb 2008 Shadow Aero and the other has the 2016 Phantom (fuellie). Neither one have any issues holding 75-90 on the highway. Both are bone stock.

For the Katana I think you mean Suzuki.

Reactions: Dan00Hawk

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
What year shadow? I have friends with a carb 2008 Shadow Aero and the other has the 2016 Phantom (fuellie). Neither one have any issues holding 75-90 on the highway. Both are bone stock.

For the Katana I think you mean Suzuki.
Lol yeah sorry typing in a hurry
Suzuki
Mine was a 96 with 6k miles. Jetted, intake and exhaust
Down low it was fun
It was also a 750. I think the 1100 would be ok.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Lol yeah sorry typing in a hurry
Suzuki
Mine was a 96 with 6k miles. Jetted, intake and exhaust
Down low it was fun
It was also a 750. I think the 1100 would be ok.
My 96 Kaw Vulcan has the same mods. At first it lost top end as well, then raised the needles and went with larger mains and got the top end back without losing the bottom end.

Bigger isn’t inherently better. My Vulcan Classic 1500 falls on its face over 70ish. It’ll do 90 but it hates it, and i don’t like beating on it that hard.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info