looking for a finance related job

Turtle

Addict
Mar 21, 2011
Just wanted to post up everywhere and see if i get any bites. Just graduated with a BS in finance.

Looking for a job in the finance field. Open to entry level work, analytical stuff. Decent with excel. Have an automotive and Accounts receivable background. Will consider accounting work as well but prefer to work with numbers like cost/production analysis. Purchase evaluations and possibly stock market related. I should be able to obtain Series 7/Series 6x if sponsored.

Willing to buy anyone brews or food that can lead to a position. If i'm working within the same company as you, i'll buy lunch for a week.

Would prefer a job in the city or downtown but open to anywhere within 60 mile radius of chicago.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
my finance job buys us lunch everyday! hah

But in all seriousness, Citadel has been on a hiring spree, but they're ultra competitive so be forewarned.

is that where you work? my sister used to work there. i've never known what she has really done though. probably some kind of financial terrorism i am skeptic is adding any real positives to the economy though.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
My brother used to code for Citadel. Awesome benefits but he was working himself to the bones and he said it was like a revolving door of people. I think he put in 4 or 5 years and that was amazing. They did pay him bucketloads of money though.

my sister got let go there. at some point they were trying to build something on their own with exotic stuff and i was trying to get my sis to let me try and sell one of our products. and she was basically acting like i was an idiot and didn't understand that they had super programmers who could build anything. i'm sure they are good but my sister equates high salaries = gods even though people at the same skill level exist outside of finance. plus they would never be able to build the products we had realistically.

she got let go there a year later, a whole crapload of people did. it kind of seemed like all these people were tasked on to some big project kind of funded or kicked off on a whim, then at some point later, on a whim they just shut it all down, and said goodbye to everyone.

Fast99Snake

track rat
Jun 26, 2005
I don't work there, interviewed there about a year ago and actually ended up declining the offer. Partly because they came in significantly lower on salary than we had talked about and partly because I know they grind you down there and I wasn't going to work those kind of hours for less than we originally discussed. I did see their benefits package and can confirm it is top notch.

As far as programmers, I'd imagine Citadel only has the best. No one outside of finance has that kind of money to spend and places like that with proprietary software and data always prefer to do work in house than outsource, it's just too much risk.

The old system there was that they fired at least ten percent of employees every year to cut the "fat" in the business and the unproductive employees. They stopped that a couple years ago they told me but that speaks volumes about the culture and turnover there.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i was at ibm and we had a database with proprietary hardware that accelerated queries in it. compressed data actually made it run faster, and the system actually got (significantly) faster the longer you owned it. who else can claim that? or imagine those are even true statements? we also had real time technology that worked truly real time, for extremely complicated logic. parallel as far as you'd like and data went only between network fabric, memory and cpu - and again super mature (mostly based on years developing it with the gov to spy on us) - at best ninja programmers might be able to hack together a very dedicated one thing only solution that could compete with this stuff, although if it was built to turn left and you wanted it to turn right later, i'm sure the changes would cost more than it was worth to build it in the first place.

do you program in finance now? in general what do you do?

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
my sister got let go there. at some point they were trying to build something on their own with exotic stuff and i was trying to get my sis to let me try and sell one of our products. and she was basically acting like i was an idiot and didn't understand that they had super programmers who could build anything. i'm sure they are good but my sister equates high salaries = gods even though people at the same skill level exist outside of finance. plus they would never be able to build the products we had realistically.

she got let go there a year later, a whole crapload of people did. it kind of seemed like all these people were tasked on to some big project kind of funded or kicked off on a whim, then at some point later, on a whim they just shut it all down, and said goodbye to everyone.

I think you might be underestimating the quality of talent they go after. They truly grab the best. My brother is a wizard. He is with a startup now where he has basically written software that automates trades based on companies that are connected in one way or another and as one falls they'll anticipate how that affects another and will make a trade on that expected change instantly. It happens instantaneously, thousands of times a day. He showed me the software he made. It's uncanny. You wouldn't want to out-source this and you'd want only the most competent people writing this kind of code.

When your entire industry capitalizes on volatility and you're dealing with millions of dollars you want the best you can get and paying a programmer very well doesn't even end up being a rounding error in the grand scheme of things.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I think you might be underestimating the quality of talent they go after. They truly grab the best. My brother is a wizard. He is with a startup now where he has basically written software that automates trades based on companies that are connected in one way or another and as one falls they'll anticipate how that affects another and will make a trade on that expected change instantly. It happens instantaneously, thousands of times a day. He showed me the software he made. It's uncanny. You wouldn't want to out-source this and you'd want only the most competent people writing this kind of code.

When your entire industry capitalizes on volatility and you're dealing with millions of dollars you want the best you can get and paying a programmer very well doesn't even end up being a rounding error in the grand scheme of things.

no i understand that. as noted some of the things i said above people would not even believe are possible. on one system data being compressed makes everything go faster. if you wait a year software upgrades alone on it will make it at least 25% faster. you could try and recreate it, but why would you? it is mature and in this case it is even harder than you may be thinking because it involves hardware tinkering gurus. it does not fit or fix all problems and maybe none of theirs. but no one is really going to recreate it, no matter how good they are.

the software above - and to be clear i'm no expert - sounds like it is reading rather structured data and doing math based relationships a lot between stocks as they trade. it's probably moreso but the base of a lot of high frequency trading seems to be what is called a complex event processor. that is like a subset of what the other technology they have does. those typically do somewhat simple math in real time, whereas this technology could do really exotic shit in real time. it could also listen to weather.com. or a weather api. or scan images of weather. or watch a weather tv channel. read twitter and decide actions to take. etc. and it is a mature platform.

is it the fastest if the only thing you want executed in the world is a+b then do c, and you throw super programmers at it? probably not. but sometimes you don't need the fastest, but the cleverest.

dberz94

Professional Slacker
Feb 14, 2015
b5842154ee53c37c65715b0c1f9beedd.jpg

Looking for the elitist I see.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info