Looking for a CCW holster....Suggestions

The Bluegrass Nomad

Five-oh ho no mo
Reaction score
So I finally completed the CCW training course here in Kentucky and should be carrying very soon (current wait on license paperwork is about 45 days.) This is all new to me as I've only carried open here and have a generic holster when doing so. So I'm looking to the experienced marksman of TCG for assistance.

I'm looking to spend no more than $60-70 for said holster and am preferring an IWB for carry. Will want to carry in the front/belt buckle area as it is harder to notice by onlookers, and want it to be as safe as possible. looking for hardened shell, not a soft holster. Will be carrying a S&W SW40VE (larger gun) and want to be as comfortable as possible.

Suggestions?

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Reaction score
I have a Revolution Concepts OWB holster and it's great. You might want to check them out:

Shop | Custom Glock Stippling, Sig P320 Stippling, Gunsmithing, Slide Machining, and Premium Firearms Accessories

I've done a bunch of research on holsters before I bought mine and I kept a list of all the ones I though were the best. Here is that list:

Shopping
https://blackrhinoconcealment.com
https://www.n82tactical.com
Leather Concealed Carry Holsters & Belts | Wright Leather Works LLC
https://trex-arms.com/
https://www.bravoconcealment.com/
https://clingerholsters.com/

Aron

Scared pussy
Reaction score
I love my Alien Gear for my FNS9, but don't like the way it carries my XD Mod2. They have the shell too low on the backing.

Fish

From the mean streets....
Donating Member
Reaction score
Ive been looking at holsters as well for my XDm 4.5. I hear good things about aliengear, but I still want to make sure its something a bigger guy can deal with. Especially with it being a full size gun.

GenXisT

Reaction score
I have S&W SDVE9.
I bought an OWB holster from here...

https://www.bravoconcealment.com/

Then I bought the IWB conversion clips for $18. It works just fine.

You can also use

https://www.n82tactical.com/products/holsters/

I have the Original Compact for my Taurus PT-111. But my S&W fits in there just fine too...

Lastly, I have this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DHLACAQ/?tag=tcg2007-20

I actually wore that one out the other day for my PT-111 (which if I carry regularly ever, I'll use that gun as my EDC). But it was cheap and it works great. had to loosen the screw a bit and put a bit of gun grease inside.

I wouldn't worry too much about the printing. If you google the videos, no one cares because no one is thinking you're carrying. I know I live in AZ where it's just assumed everyone is armed... but I'm also black so it's a different thing entirely... no one seemed to notice and I was out for hours with my gun on me...

hth

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
Reaction score
BUMP!!!

I'm pretty set on picking up a Black Rhino IWB holster here this week. It's for an XDS. I know a lot of people like these holster and I've read great reviews on them. My biggest thing is they are local and I can go in and test fit different style holsters before just buying one online.
Who is using one of theirs? Who has, didn't like it and why? Who likes it any why?

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Donating Member
Reaction score
BUMP!!!

I'm pretty set on picking up a Black Rhino IWB holster here this week. It's for an XDS. I know a lot of people like these holster and I've read great reviews on them. My biggest thing is they are local and I can go in and test fit different style holsters before just buying one online.
Who is using one of theirs? Who has, didn't like it and why? Who likes it any why?
I went with my brother just a few weeks ago for him to pick one up. He has an AEE Witness. Not a common gun and hard to find stuff for it. They made a holster for him within an hour while we drove and shopped at Marengo Guns. The holster holds up well and one reason my brother chose them (aside from me telling him to) is because my brother rides his motorcycle a lot and was afraid (and heard stories of people) dropping the gun while riding.

Great place and if I'm not mistaken a few people on this board have Black Rhino holsters.

tinfoilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
Donating Member
Reaction score
I also have the iwb ccs black rhino. Its ok. Fits the gun well and made well but isnt the most comfortable to wear. I prefer my stealth gear over the black rhino.

The trigger guard that comes with it is slick

RedBeard

Formerly ScreamingMach46
Reaction score
Haven't touched my Alien Gear since I purchased the Vedder Light Tuck for my Shield. Don't ever see myself using the Alien Gear again especially not in the summer months. Also had a Theis hybrid, was uncomfortable wearing a giant slab of leather on my side just like the giant slab of neoprene isn't comfortable on the Alien Gear.

I never thought a full kydex holster like what I have now would be comfortable but I don't even notice it and it's not hot in the summer. Even accidentally walked into work with it today because I forgot I had it on me.

Vedder Light Tuck FTW.

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
Not sure on ccw, but I love my safariland external concealment holster. Super comfortable.

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
Reaction score
Heading over to Black Rhino today after work.
I wore for the first time yesterday. I have the Gelco Stow and Go. It worked and wasn't to bad to carry. However in the time that I have used it I know what I want more now.

wombat

Donating Member
Reaction score
Why hasn't [MENTION=340]Eagle[/MENTION] chimed in?

I have a Black Rhino TCS for my FNS9C and have carried both IWB and OWB. OWB is amazingly comfortable, IWB is comfortable but I need to shed some of my super ripped obliques before it's more comfortable, but that's my problem to deal with :rofl:

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm glad to see BRC be the choice! When you're there, tell Rob I said hello!

They make great product that does exactly what a good holster needs to do: protect your trigger and secure your firearm!

Be sure to post a pic when you're finished up!

Thx for the tag [MENTION=127]wombat[/MENTION]! :D

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
Reaction score
Looking forward to this purchase. Looking forward to going over there and seeing what they have to offer.

wombat

Donating Member
Reaction score
The guys there are awesome. I walked in, told them what I wanted, they showed me a few options and made it in about 30 minutes. I drove down the street to grab some lunch and I hadn't even finished eating and they were done :rofl:

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
Reaction score
Went in last night and test fitted a few. Locked one down and placed my order. Should be done in roughly a week. So much more comfortable than the current one I have. A night and day difference. They also helped my wife out by pointing her in the right direction for women based holsters. She's really tiny and it seems any waist holsters still show too much. They got her down a good path with some people they partner up with. I'll be doing another one for my M&P 9mm soon.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom