• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

looking for 2nd thoughts on blue exhaust smoke

Shadow99

Broke DSMer
Jun 7, 2011
Ohare
This is on a toyota corolla. I know a couple of answers already just looking for some second opinions here. Worst case is its the head gasket. Anyway, bought the car about a month ago. It didnt smoke really at all, but had a misfire because of shitty plugs. Changed out the plugs about 2 weeks ago. I did notice the car was low on oil, but seemed enough to wait a week or so for nicer weather. Yesterday car turns on the low oil light, so I filled it up today. My friend says it usually smokes on start up. So I watched and of course its blue smoke coming out. Now when I checked the oil weeks ago, it wasnt chocolate milk shake color, just dirty. But also when I did change the plugs there was some coolant on them, like inside the head when you unplug the coil. Car does not over heat. I do not see any noticeable drips under the car. So perhaps the plugs were so shitty and misfiring that they werent even firing and burning oil or coolant. But now that they are changed theyre burning through it all? Im going to give it a week before I check oil again.

Do you guys think its head gasket, valve gasket, Obama, or what?

Im hoping valve cover and not head but when do things go easy?

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
the valve cover or plug tube seal will leak oil into the spark plug hole. coolant does not run through the valve cover, you sure it wasn't oil in the tubes? that oil will collect in that tube over time, the plug makes a pretty tight seal so that's not the source of your blue smoke.

that bit of blue smoke you see is probably the rings or valve seals. older corollas are known for using some oil, keep it topped off and it will run forever.

Nate

Addict
TCG Sponsor
Mar 4, 2014
Wondertucky
Blue smoke is oil entering the combustion chamber. Being a toyota it's either valve seals or rings. Take 20 min and do a compression test across all 4. Then do it again but first add some oil to the cylinder. If your numbers go up-you have a ring issue

Either way you'll need a new head gasket

Shadow99

Broke DSMer
Jun 7, 2011
Ohare
I was confused which what looked like water on the spark plugs which makes me sound like an idiot. But there was some clear liquid on them. Reading into more reviews by other owners it seems most have come across this and a good chance its the rings. Now this is a noob question because I never used it. But would seafoam or the amsoil version of seafoam help break up the sludge and shit around the rings to help release the gunk?

Shadow99

Broke DSMer
Jun 7, 2011
Ohare
Gonna use this thread again since its the same car, different issue

Issue is, while driving the car, it will just die. Lights do stay on though. Stop it and put it in park, turn the key and itll crank but take like 3 seconds to start up and then can drive off. Looking into the issues online, Ive come across possibly bad fuel pump, ignition, TB build up. I already cleaned up the throttle body with carb cleaner. Didnt do much since the car still died. With the lights still on after the car dies it makes me lean away from electrical and more towards mechanical. Anyone ever deal with an issue like this on any car? CEL is on for misfire. Im trying to avoid taking it to a shop as long as possible because I just want to do it myself. But also dont want to just throw parts at it.

IF you have check engine light on for misfire and hard starting then you need proper diagnosis. If it consumes oil, and smokes upon start up your talking valve stem seals. If it smokes continuous then most likely rings.
IF you think rings are stuck you might be able to free them up.
AC Delco sells Top Engine cleaner in liquid and a spray can, you need both.
Crack plugs loose, blow crap out from around them then snug up. Warm engine up good, pull plugs and use spray can of top engine cleaner in each plug hole , generously. USe at least 1/2 can for 4 cylinders.
Let sit over night, drain oil and refill using cheap/sale oil. keep old filter on oil wont stay in. pack paper towels in plug holes(plugs should stay out for all this) then crank engien over to blow out remove majority of top engine cleaner, most likely it ran down along rings, attacking the carbon.
Clean and reinstall old plugsand start car. Blow the cobs out of it IE get it cleaned out as if it was flooded. You then need an induction cleaner applicator or have a local shop run the AC Delco liquid top engine cleaner through a vacuum hose as close to throttle body. You can use top engine cleaner and cheap carb cleaner and tooth brush to clean back of throttle body blade and bore good.
Let her warm back up again, drop oil AND filter, refill with Shell Rotella T 10W30. Its diesel oil and higher detergent package over regular oils.
Also after it has cleaned out from top engine cleaner swap in some new OEM plugs most likely NGK or Denso. Properly gapped, anti seize on threads and dielectric silicone in plug boots.
IF it still smokes rings were not issue. Keep records of oil consumption and add accordingly or spend money and find someone to swap stem seals on or off car.
Reason for changing oil is top engine cleaner CAN etch bearings.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
giphy.gif

SMKE EM

Banned
Nov 9, 2016
NWI
Blue smoke is oil, white is coolant or water

You need to do a CLT to determine if you have a cracked head/block or blown HG.

If it were just coolant found Id say buy a cheap endoscope for your phone and stick it in the spark plug hole. If its super clean on top of the cyl, you have a coolant leak into the CC. However since oil is being burned that may not be an accurate visual test

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info